Big band / dance band music stands

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by, Nov 29, 2009.

1. New Member

Hi everyone,
    I just wanted to introduce our exciting new products - professional, lightweight music stands, designed by musicians for musicians.
    Take a look at our website for full details, - or ask any questions on this forum.
    I am a trumpet player and have been involved in playing in dance and big bands for over 25 years - I have seen the problems that come with heavy old big band music stands, who's taking them home this week.. Etc etc!
    So I've decided to design and manufacture our own stands that have been getting some great reviews from some of the top British bands, including Steve Waterman, Jeff Hooper, Laurence Cottle - to name just a few - we have even supplied a set to Michael Bolton for his uk tour!
    We also provide the graphics for the front of the stands, either from your logo supplied, or we'll help design one for you in our graphic design studio.

Call in and check us out - or ask any questions here.

Thank you.
  2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Don't look like they'll be that stable playing in a field, or other uneven floor. And wind could be a problem too.
  3. New Member

They are actually stable - we have cross wire shelves inside as an option that allow a weight to hold them down - you can also use tent pegs to secure them to grass.
    Any stand would not be perfect on an uneven surface.
  4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Except a tripod. ;)
  5. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Apologies in advance if I am wrong, but the website to which we are being directed appears to contravene the Electronic Commerce (EC Directive) Regulations 2002, in respect of the minimum information that is required to be provided.

An easy-to-read (understand) guide can be found at
  6. The Wherryman

...getting back to the product, I have seen something similar being used by touring Big Bands and they look very effective. However, i have only seen them used in a concert hall setting, where there has been a reasonable amount of floor space available.

I can see there being problems in trying to fit a whole band-full of these stands into the space available in churches (which is where many of our concerts are staged) or many of the smaller venues that I would guess are the norm for a great many bands. Perhaps these are being aimed at the 'big boys'.

How do people feel about leaving behind the 'traditional' cloth banners with braid and fringe (which tangle up in trombone slides and blow about in the wind :)) ? Is there any method which would enable the use of pegs and/or magnets to prevent sheets of music becoming airborne?
  7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Can't help wondering if you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick? Seems clear to me that the product is aimed at big bands, not brass bands ... (don't know of many big bands that do gigs in churches?)
  8. The Wherryman

I'm not entirely sure that I did have the wrong end of the stick, but, as a brass bander, I made my comments from that perspective, as did others. I agree that the product is aimed at Big Bands, but it was being promoted on a site that is very brass band orientated.

But just because a product is aimed at a particular market there is no reason why it shouldn't be considered for a different use. I considered it and made my observations.

Further to my earlier post about the web site, it has since been amended to comply with the Electronic Commerce (EC Directive) Regulations 2002. I'm sure this was simply an oversight.
  9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Fair enough; I agree that by definition tMP is a very brass band orientated site, however I had assumed that the stands were only being promoted in response to the question asked on the other thread:

I suspect there are enough regular visitors who also play in Big Bands to make it worthwhile "promoting" such items.
  10. mxb59307

mxb59307 Member

Can I make the radical suggestion that those who consider these new stands to be unsuitable for their particular requirements refrain from purchasing them and give the guy selling them a break. Jeez, some people.
  11. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

I suspect your radical suggestion may well contravene the Right to Moan Regulations 2025. :rolleyes:
  12. The Wherryman

I can't see what the problem is. There are innumerable threads on this site, discussing the merits and demerits of various products - instruments, mouthpieces, gig bags and so forth. Why should this product be treated any differently? I'm sure that if there are any players on here who think these stands are the best thing since sliced bread, they'll pop up and say so.

I hope the OP succeeds in his business. I expect his product is totally 'fit for purpose', but, when all's said and done, this is a discussion forum ;)