Beware the Ides of March!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by welshraz, Mar 15, 2006.

1. welshraz

welshraz Member

Ok, so I woke up this morning, like usual, to the sound of Red Dragon FM, feeling quite cheery and looking foward to the day ahead. As I got dressed they happend to mention that it is the 15th March today, and I thought "oooo March 15th. Beware the ides of March!". Not sure Why I thought it, but it just popped into my head. So then I'm in the kitchen making breakfast and what happens? I drop my mobile into a sink full of water! Needless to say its is very broken! Next, I'm walking to work and sudenly I find myself tumbling down a hill in front of a road full of traffic, grazing my knees and hands and landing on my face. And then, I finally get into work to find a lovely email waiting for me to inform me that from Monday I will be moving desks, which is usually fine, but I will be moving away from the two people I get on with best, to sit to the most horrid and insufferable woman in all of Christendom!!!

Beware the Ides of March indeed!

2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Oooh and to think I registered on the 15th March!! I wonder if that means anything!?

Hope the Ides leave you alone from now and you start to have a better day!! :D

3. Steve

Steve Active Member

What are Ides? I didnt even know I had any!

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

They should be just above your nodse Steve.

5. 2nd man down

Da-Boom-Tsssss! :rolleyes:

6. dyl

dyl Active Member

Oops - shouldn't have posted that should I? Seeing as I apparently don't have a sense of humour...................

:cool:

7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Just so as not to really spoil your day - I hope she's not logged on to tMP as a Guest and reads your post.

8. 2nd man down

I'm sorry, but that WOULD be funny! :p

9. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ides_of_March

Unless this is degenerating into another thread about 70s rock bands in which case try here ;)

10. HBB

HBB Active Member

I was babysitting Master, Master and Master Ide yesterday..., they were well behaved tho, so I didn't need to beware?!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Red Dragon FM
    Ides of March
    Christendom
    hands
    traffic
  12. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

You better watch out... they'll sneak up on you.:eek:

13. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

:oops: :oops: :oops: i dont understand :oops: what are ides?!?!

14. timbloke

timbloke Member

Ah - The Ides Of March!!

That would explain why this morning, when buying some cans of red-bull to recover from a severe lack of sleep, i was showered in the stuff from a can which had somehow been pierced. Walking around Morrisons smelling of Red Bull and looking like a nervous five-year-old with a bladder control problem is not the happiest of places to be. Curse them bloomin ides!

Incidently, which director of a major international engineering consultantcy decided it would be a good idea to float on the stock-market today. Could that be a bad omen for the future of the company?

15. Di

Di Active Member

Are you sure Craigy? :cool::tongue:

16. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

So far I've had a pretty normal day. Maybe something nasty is just waiting round the corner? Oh joy...
    BMB
    xx

17. 2nd man down

Oh...*deflated* Hmmm, I got that wrong didn't I? Oops! ;)

18. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

In the Roman 'Kalendar' the month was roughly 4 weeks long synchronised with the phases of the moon and was subdivided by the 'Kalends' (the beginning of the month) and the 'Ides' (the mid point of the month.

The "Ides of March" have been immortalised by the prophesy, ignored by Julius Caesar, that he would be murdered "Beware the Ides of March".

The "Kalends" meanwhile are, no doubt, well known to all Brass Bandsmen, at least in the Championship section, because of the quotation "Descend into the crater of Yocul of Sneffels, which the shade of Scartaris caresses, before the kalends of July, audacious traveler, and you will reach the center of the earth."

19. Di

Di Active Member

On reflection then, are there any other comments you may wish to withdraw? ;)

Raz - I hope the hands and knees and face are soon better. As for the phone ... Vic has managed to drown a couple, tried drying them out, but to no avail ... I fear that may be permanently very broken indeed. :(

20. mattster

mattster New Member

tell my mother about the "ides of march"
    she was born on the 15th march
    youve had a one day of bad luck......... she's had a lifetime of it.
    it'll be all over tommorow!

21. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Ghengis Khan died from a nose bleed on the 15th March too!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Red Dragon FM
    Ides of March
    Christendom
    hands
    traffic