Beware of dodgy translations!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by dyl, Jan 16, 2006.

1. dyl

dyl Active Member

2. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Lol! Well that's one way to get rid of the English!
  3. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Some of the Japanese/ English translations are very amusing!
  4. persins

persins Member

Fantastic! I wonder who it was meant to decieve though?! Was it anti-English or anti-Welsh?!
  5. Di

Di Active Member

Logic should tell you those reading the sign in English would be looking the right way . ;)
  6. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

7. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

"In a Japanese hotel:
    You are invited to take advantage of the chambermaid."

Not just now thanks, but my husband might be interested...
  8. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Watch Battle Royale... A few hilarious translations!!
  9. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Some wise words found on the signs in Japan, all of which we were greatful for, but still we're allowed a little chuckle at! (photgraphic evidence can be provided)

Thankyou for your coming.

PLease take care not to stick thorns, stumble nor fall down steps.

10 min walk (7 if run a little ) to ropeway station

In case of monkeys are in the forest you can not find them.

Please put your baggage in free rocker, because of monkeys. THey are wild life. Please eat anything inside.

When crossing be careful of the footing sufficiently. Understand beforehand because the responsibilty cannot be assumed about the accident in case and so on.
  10. HBB

HBB Active Member

Haha! Those Japanese translations are great!! :D (especially the run a little bit!)
  11. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

In the place I work (which I won't name in case I get the sack) we had a sign in the cloakroom with the usual 'we accept no responsibility for items left here' etc. But the Welsh translation kindly said that we would accept all responsibility for their items! Had to keep the sign covered up for months until they got a new one!

Shows one of the perks of being Welsh I suppose!
  12. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

13. Fitzy's GF

Fitzy's GF Active Member

There was a great email going around with Star Wars III Revenge of the Sith, where it was translated from English to Japanese (I think), then back into English via subtitles, it was very funny. If I can find out where it is and how to post it I'll share.
  14. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I was travelling on the jetfoil boat between Gran Canaria and Tenerife recently (with a museum quality hangover). When the boat has reached sufficient speed to rise up onto the wing type things (I am a land lubber), a little sign illuminates saying "Under Foil Bound". English, but not quite.
  15. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

16. persins

persins Member

Comedy value once again.

I once saw a sign that was on a golf course which was discouraging people from stealing "lost" golf balls. The sign said:

"Trespassers will be prosecuted and will have their balls removed."

Bit harsh don't you think?
  17. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

These are going to continue to be more common because of the increasing prevalence of online and software-based translation rather than having actual humans who speak both languages do it properly.

A similar phenomenon has occurred in printed works, where the ubiquitous use of spell-check has led to a lot of sentences where all the words are spelled correctly but the sentence is stil unintelligible, and proper names often get butchered.
  18. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

In Turkey I saw a sign in English, directing people to the toilets. Around the edge was written 'Only 50 cent is enough to feel the magic atmosphere'... need I say more?!
  19. HBB

HBB Active Member