Betraying Herbert Lincoln!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by deave, Feb 17, 2004.

1. deave

deave Member

I recently did an essay at uni about cornet developement in my historical performance module. I manage to accumulate a fantastic letter from Ernst Benge(well known trumpet maker) to Herbert L.Clarke asking his advice about whether to move onto trumpet or not. Mr Clarke's reply was most insistant that he should stay on cornet, as the trumpet was the devil of all instruments, and a nice melody cannot be played on one!! I was disgusted to find out that after consulting Mr Clarke; Mr Benge still ended up being a trumpet player...admittedly a very good one...But who on earth could go against Mr Herbert Lincoln Clarke's work? :?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Herbert Lincoln Clarke
    Ernst Benge
    Herbert Lincoln
  3. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

The great Morton Debate !

Well as a confirmed member of the Morton fan club I was urged to reply to this intersting post. It must be remembered that although Ernst Benge was asking Clarke about a switch there were many others who did in fact stay with the cornet when deciding between the two instruments. For instance Bix Beiderbeck played on a cornet in a period where trumpet was dominating in Jazz. There are however others who prefer the cornet in Jazz, for instance Ruby Braff (I think).
    The tone and melody arguments about cornet players only being the ones that can play a slow melodies, when compared to their trumpet counterparts is a rather weak argument. Here are some names who have swapped at times to the trumpet from cornet :- Harry Mortimer, Rod Franks and Maurice Murphy. Hearing them play a slow melody is as good as hearing a cornet player play a slow melody. The texture of both is quite obviously different, we have in banding perhaps a misconceived idea that trumpet players can't play soft, mushy tunes, that I'm afraid is completely wrong. In many ways I think being able to play lyrically on a trumpet is harder than playing one on the cornet.

Both instruments have specific attributes that can in different contexts make either one better than the other or both perform approximately the same. I've often heard people say that "cornet players" that play too straight and clinical sound like "trumpet players" and it is rare that I have heard that a trumpet player is ever said to sound like a cornet player. The only difference between the two, as I can see, is the opportunities that are quite frequently given to trumpet players, are not available for cornet players ( i.e cornets feature in bands, wind bands, military bands, in Jazz sometimes, very rarely in orchestras, where as trumpeters are often seen in all the above plus pit orchestras).

Well thats what I think anyway..

4. jambo

jambo Member

Long live the pits (Orchestras anyway)

Even Louis Armstrong did a large stint on the Cornet during his Hot five and Hot Seven days way back in the 20's and 30's. His lyricism is often quite unsurpassed on either trumpet or cornet. If it's your job as a player then being as versatile as poss is a must really.

At the end of the day its about what music genre you want to be playing in. If you enjoy yr Bands as we all do then you play the cornet. If you want to do other playing then you learn how to play the trumpet as well. Or vice versa.

5. Heppy

Heppy Member

It appears Deave has actually started an interesting debate, other than the 'would you, wouldn't you' argumement while watching the totty walk past. In my opinion Cornet players who dabble with trumpet are judas'. How could you turn your back on an instrument that's so soft, delicate, and....... downright easy to play! Jambo even gets away with playing one (occasionally)! Long live the sop!

Heppy

6. jambo

jambo Member

No its not easy Smed's, that just the way some of us make it sound. The sop on the other hand...keep trying :wink:

Long live the sop... could be another debate here, do sop or cornet players live longer...as a rule? Hmmmm

7. deave

deave Member

I wasn't trying to get into a trumpet or cornet debate; I was more interested in the "How can you betray Herbert L.Clarke" aspect of it. How could anyone do it? Why bother asking the legend's advice if you're not going to adhere to it?!

I tried to contact Herbert LC via a median, all he said was;
    "Thou should not miss University Band for anyone!"

8. jambo

jambo Member

Because he was asking for advice. He's still then allowed to go away and make up his own mind. If we all did exactly what people told us we'd all be clones now wouldn't we.
    Do you do think everything you're told is true? It's an oppinion, and he chose to go his own way.

Its not betrayal, just individuality. :lol:

9. Headvib

Headvib New Member

Some advice for you Jambo, makes sure you take your cornet away this weekend and get some practice in. :wink:

10. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Thats you told James.

But comming from Andy thats a bit of an insult.