Beta Blockers

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GingerMaestro, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I recently saw a question raised in the on the spot feature with Alan Morrison regarding the use of beta blockers on the contest stage.

I use such remedy and see no problem with it
    I find they control the nerves but not to the point where you are playing with out any feeling, you still feel the excitement and the adrenelyn pumping you just feel more relaxed and in most cases play without the worry of splitting notes of fluffing entries in a solo passage that you might of done without the said pill

What do you think
  2. six pints

six pints Active Member

I think we had a discussion on this aaaaaaaaaaaages ago... will try and find it
  3. six pints

six pints Active Member

4. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I think taking any drug that has not be prescribed for you is a risk not worth taking.
  5. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I don't think you can get betablockers unless they have been prescribed for you. OK, I'm sure you can probably get them from some guy in a BMW on the street corner, but you can't buy them (legally) over the counter. I use them all the time because I suffer from fairly severe panic attacks, and mine are certainly prescription only!
  6. flower girl

flower girl Member

beta-adrenergic blocking agents,(beta blockers) are used to treat high blood pressure
    They work by affecting the response to some nerve impulses in certain parts of the body, they decrease the heart's need for blood and oxygen by reducing its workload. Beta-adrenergic blocking agents are available only with your doctor's prescription. It isn't wise to use them in events where the adrenilin increases as this will be working against the beta blockers. There are loads of side effects that you will be at risk from with beta blockers, some of which will effect your ability to play/ perform whilst on stage e.g. dizziness, drowsiness nausea.
    In my opinion if you have coped with the adrenalin in the past there is no reason for you to need them. After all they are prescribed for a reason
  7. dyl

dyl Active Member

We are going to lock this thread for the time being, as we can't have the potential of having people with no medical knowledge discussing the use of non-prescribed drugs and their effects. There is no way that we can allow tMP to be used to promote any non-medical use of drugs. We will however, look into the possibility of having some expert advice provided on this matter - by a suitably qualified professional.
  8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

We wanted to point out that while we don't like to stifle any discussion really, this particular discussion could lead to something happening none of us here would wish for, and could expose tMP to liability in the case of someone reading the thread, deciding to take the medication unprescribed, and then having something tragic happen - and no-one here would want anything like that to happen.

We want to offer as professonal a service as we can, and as such I am currently doing some research and looking for a suitably qualified medical professional to come along to tMP and offer some relevant advice on the matter. I am more than happy to continue this discussion when that happens, as I want to provide information that can help everyone.

It's a delicate subject this, and one I want to get right - I am sure you understand.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.