Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Rapier, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

George Best

Am I the only one who couldn't care less about him? He was the one of the greatest players of his generation but wasted his talent through drink, was given another chance at life by a liver transplant and then carried on drinking. Why he now has to feature on every news broadcast of the day is beyond me.
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

My wife told me earlier on that it was even announced as "breaking news" that there had been some improvement! Definitely a wasted talent, but the coverage is just another example of the current media's obsession with so-called "celebrities" to the exclusion of things that really matter.
  3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Nah, really couldn't care less. What's more, I hope that someone points out to him while he's lying there feeling sorry for himself that the poor sod who could probably have made much better use of the organ that he's since pickled is probably already dead and waiting to give him a damn good hiding when he finally arrives at the pearly gates himself.

He was given a chance and blew it. Fantastic talent or no fantastic talent it's his own fault.

Can we have some proper news people that are dying due to circumstances beyond their control and that truly deserve our attention and help?
  4. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Again I feel no sympathy for him
    As for the media - they really need to get out more and tell us about things we care about (not things like this which, frankly, we arent interested in). This is a man who, whilst once a great footballer, has recently only been in the news for destroying himself repeatedly.... Let it drop - who cares...

How must other people feel (and familes) when theyre on the list through no fault of their own (illness etc) and havent received a transplant - and watch him destroy a second from his drinking habits. Some poor kid couldve lost a mum/dad/sibling who couldve been saved had they received that organ.. makes my blood boil... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :ranting2::ranting2:
  5. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Yes, let's all blame the media about the level of coverage!

Hang on a second. Who buys the ****** papers in the first place? As a society we have created the monster that popular journalism has become. We want to know more about our celebraties, no matter how fleeting there fame. We clammer to buy trashy gossip mags which reveal all the celebs dirtiest little secrets. We have to see the wedding photos of No-talent and Boy-Band-Singer.

And then..... we complain when it all gets too much.

You see, that's where it all falls down. The media en masse is now reacting to what we have told them we want to see. If you don't want to hear about George Best, I suggest you turn the TV off and don't buy a newspaper.

In the words on one entertainer "If you want to see fewer celebrities in the media, give me a **** yeah!".

As for George Best. He was a fantastic footballer and a womaniser. Now he's an alcoholic. What did we all expect? If anyone thought he would change his habits, they were sadly mistaken. For all he is a United legend, it just shows that money can buy many things, including a new liver. He should never have been allowed it, plain and simple.
  6. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

I haven't an opinion on whether or not he should have had his liver transplanted because the medical ethics of it all was down to the doctors and the families involved at the time. However, I think that he does deserve sympathy for the state he is in now. Alcoholism is a disease, and the tragedy is that with all his money and so called advisors over the years no one has treated him for the underlying cause of his illness.

I am not a prude, and I enjoy a drink but I know first hand what alcoholism does to people and their families. Leave the man alone and give him some privacy and dignity to get on with the rest of his life in peace. For however long that may be.
  7. strongbow

strongbow Member

:clap: Can't agree more!

With regard to the media, yes people do buy newspapers for the 'news' and hence the need for 'journalism'. However, even the more respected papers are reverting to showbiz hype and gossip.
  8. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

>>Hang on a second. Who buys the ****** papers in the first place? As a society we have created
    >>the monster that popular journalism has become. We want to know more about our celebraties,
    >>no matter how fleeting there fame.

Very True !

Next thing you know the guy will have a tMp thread all about him............errrr......
  9. flower girl

flower girl Member

he's a pratt. he should never have bin given a 2nd chance cos every one knew he wouldn't help him self
  10. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Everyone deserves a second chance, no matter what you think about them.

I admit that he hasn't helped himself but it's a bit far to call him a prat, also what you are saying is because he can't help himself he should be left alone and just allowed to die without a second chance which I feel is very heartless and just a throwaway comment to agree with the mood of the thread in general.

This is very close to me because my Dad is still in hospital having had the same symptoms as George Best which were also drink related. Are you saying my Dad shouldn't have been given a 2nd chance because I knew that I couldn't help him until something like this happened that made him realise what he had been doing to himself ? Now my Dad has been given that "2nd chance" he seems to be very positive and looks as though things will change.

I admit George Best has had chance after chance but belive me whilst I agree with the mood of this thread that there is better news to report on, I find a remark that someone shouldn't be given a chance to be very insensitive.

He deserves chance after chance because he is a human being and his death will upset a lot of people including his family and close friends
  11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Good point, Roy. I've nothing against the man - and considerable sympathy having spent a number of years working with those whose lives have been aflicted by drink-related problems. I'm sure, from the media point of view, it is just a cheap and easy option, giving the chance to recycle old copy without having to do much new leg-work or research.

As for those who are suggesting we needn't buy newspapers, it's much the same as our form of politics - compromise, compromise, compromise (putting up with the least offensive things we dislike in order to get a few positive outcomes). When it comes to getting our views across to the media, that is easier said than done, as they tend to have control over what feedback gets published, and even when they do admit they've got things wrong, the apology is always tucked out of the way in a corner - but don't get me started on that one!
  12. flower girl

flower girl Member

13. i agree totally lisa, decent people deserve the chances, people who waste themselves do NOT!
  14. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I've got a very interesting book which was published in 1997 which goes on a lot about how the media had changed and become obsessed with celebrity even then. Still, in the past 8 years because of 'celebrity' docu-soaps, reality TV, the internet and the explosion of digital TV and radio, celebrities are more accessible and can more intruded upon far easier. People are interested to a certain extent, but it is fundamentally wrong for the media to take it upon themselves to make themselves a nusiance to those people and their families to get the stories they want.

It was 'nice' to know George Best had been admitted to hospital because I know he was a hero to a lot of people during his era, but I'm not particularly interested in progress reports at every news bulletin. I really did feel for Dennis Law today having to leave the hospital to a barrage of media questions and photographer's flash-guns and also Callum Best who is having to cope with it every day.
  15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I think it's a bit much to say he didn't deserve a 2nd chance at all, everyone deserves at least one go to put right the effects of their past...unfortunately George didn't make the best use of his.

I'd like to think that if I was lying choking to death on my mouthpiece having swallowed it in some freak accident that people didn't just step over me because "it was my own fault for playing it in the first place"...the suggestion he didn't deserve at least one chance is heartless and quite frankly rather blinkered.
  16. HSB

HSB Member

If you're saying he didn't deserve a second chance because he was (is?) an alcoholic then we're moving down a very slippery slope. To all those who've said he doesn't deserve a second chance then I hope none of your close family or friends have to battle alcoholism, because it sounds like there'd be little sympathy. You find out your brother or sister is an alcoholic and needs a transplant, what do you say? Do you disown them because it's there own fault? Walk away from your own flesh and blood?

This is the man who was the greatest football talent, better than Pele, picked off the backstreets in Ireland and thrust into the media spotlight. Hounded wherever he went and with no support or advice he was left to fend for himself living with the media circus that existed even back then, following his every move.

I'm sorry I couldn't see him playing the game in his heyday and instead have to rely on old videos.

Do you really think he wants his current problems being broadcast as front page news? I sincerely doubt it.

Who knows, you all may suffer a life-changing event that eventually sends you onto the bottle. I suppose you think you're clever enough to handle it? I hope so. And, if not, I hope you get a hell of a lot more sympathy than you're showing this guy right now.

I really wish you people would take time to find out about the guy before you just offer your "He's got to die, he's not worth it" comments.

Keep fighting George, your life has been an incredible one and who's to say, given the same circumstances, I might not have gone off the rails as well. Take care.
  17. welshmike

welshmike Member

Hear hear wambander! Nice avatar by the way!!!!
  18. Spanky Rear

Spanky Rear Member

George Best

Wambander--George was'nt better than Pele;he wasn't dragged off the backstreets;he wasn't left without advice and/or help
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

According to the online BBC News, ... "Best's illness is thought to be related to immuno-suppressant drugs he must take to stop his new liver - which he received in July 2002 - being rejected."
  20. HSB

HSB Member

Yes he was, what's your point?