Best Youth Bands

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Feefee, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Feefee

Feefee Member

Who do you think the best youth bands are?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Best Youth Bands The Gwent Youth Band
    Oustanding
    Gwent Band
    Gwent Bands
    Renaissance
  3. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Smithills seem to be doing really well at the moment,
    but Youth Brass are beginning to enter the prizes again after strengthening a rather young band, so I hope we're going to get better and better in the next year :p ;)

4. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

Greater Gwent youth band has been quiet this year. Watch out for them in the new year.

5. Feefee

Feefee Member

Yup I heard they was a gud band!

I think i probably heard them but cant remember!
    Thanks for replying back to me!
    No one else seems to want to!
    Boo hoo :-(

6. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

It is quiet at the mo. Just wait till the st helens and stockport schools rabble get on here! No doubt they will put their youth bands i the mix!!

7. jim

jim Member

The greater gwent youth isnt quit what it was some 6-7 years ago when they had Jon Pippin solo trom, Steve Miles solo euph, Owen Farr Solo Horn, Dave Mitchil Princple Percussion, Laura Davis Principle Cornet, Derick Williams sop? but still an awsome band, you playin solo horn this year lyndon?

8. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I believe that the West Lothian Schools band are one of the best youth bands around, and have been for some time. I'm afraid I don't know all that much about them, but I believe they are conducted by Nigel Boddice.

9. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

Afraid not. I'm a bit old now. I'll be popping down though I should imagine. I'll give a helping hand on 2nd horn this year I think. Help the new ones out!

10. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Heard Rochdale Youth last year... Very impressive
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG][/font][/font]

11. Caro

Caro New Member

West Lothian are conducted by Nigel Boddice. They've been around for thirty years next year, and on their day can be absolutely outstanding. Having recently left the band i can say that from personal experience! But as happens with all youth bands, when the oldies leave the new guys have to work real hard to keep up the standards, so that's why you can never tell what will happen at a youth contest and how each band will play!!

St. Helen's and Gwent are both fab bands as well, and by the looks of it, although i haven't heard them, Smithills are doing well for themselves too!

There are so many youth bands it's hard to say who's the best!!!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Best Youth Bands The Gwent Youth Band
    Oustanding
    Gwent Band
    Gwent Bands
    Renaissance
  13. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

:shock: how rude of you Lyndon!!

Hehe, there are loads of good bands around but i think that the county bands are possibly the best possibly because of the wide selection available. the top few youth bands used to be Greater Gwent, West lothian, and St Helens. possibly still are now but the smaller (in number as in St Helens we have over 50) schools bands and other town bands are sounding equally as good! The National Youth Champs should be good this year!

but i think St Helens are best...especially that solo euph player ;) hehehe *no bias at all...honest* :rolleyes:

14. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

arent the players in west lothian schools band taken from all over west lothian county? (someone please tell me if im wrong bout west lothian being a county)

i think that west lothian are definately one of the top youth bands in great britain...

but you do have to compare that west lothian takes players from all over west lothian, and a youth band like st helens, only has players from within something like a 10mile radius of st helens (i have to say that cuz i dont live in st helens).

so in my opinion, st helens are better as a youth band in that they are one of the top youth bands, yet only get players from a smaller area than a band like west lothian.

im not just saying that because i play for st helens, i really do think they are a top band, but to be perfectly honest i think playing wise and not on the area they take players from, west lothian are slightly better (i was amazed how they managed to play something close to six percussionists at the nationals for shine as the light and partita)

15. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Abraham Derby (Ab Dabs) of course! Terrific cluster of youth ensembles, particularly in the wind band. But overall they're terrific.

[edit] Of course, as a former member of Shropshire Youth, they've done some good stuff in their time. They're just not a big contesting band. [ /snobbery ]

16. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I heard Mount Charles Youth Band play at SWBBA contest in november, I thought they were amazing!

17. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

I know Rochdale Youth Band are one of the best youth bands around, and i recently heard Lions Youth an thought they were excellent!

18. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

Outside of county band standard, think of the youth bands grown in one area that regularly compete against adults and win.
    For example Dobcross Youth - went to 1st section then reformed with a new group in the 4th

Also in Haydock with the now named Valley Brass, 2nd section champs at the recent Fleetwood, 4th section pontins winners also this year.

These bands deserve recognition too, not just because I know both M.D's

19. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

I heard St Helens play last year at Tameside and thought they had a really nice big sound, also Stockport and Smithills are really good :)

20. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I've heard that Wem have two fantastic bands for younger people, the Youth and Junior Band...
    I even believe that they have a concert next weekend in Wem (tickets available from Craig I suspect!) ;)

21. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Have to say Smithills are doing great at the moment. But Stockport Schools are very good. Also I'm gonna have to say Wigan Youth just cause we rock :)

22. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

Youth bands cant be ordered as easy as the Champ 1st section ect bands can, The National Youth Band champs has sections to suit a wide range of playing abilitys but its ok Winning one section over and over yet if that youth band dont leave the section then they are bound to win it every year, because they know they can!!!!
    Yet saying that Youth bands suffer coz people grow up and leave the bands, some suffer some dont, its hard starting a new year with a younger band i should know!!!!
    St Helens, Rochdale,Qwent,Loithan,Poynton,Stockport,Smithills,Youth Brass are all great Youth bands and each band has some great players.
    The best thing about Youth band is watching players Grow and learn and have a great time knowning them from 6 till they are 18 :)
    So i think more than Who is the Best Youth band it should be Who is the best youth band of the year!!!