Best versions.....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JonFearn, Jan 3, 2008.

1. JonFearn

JonFearn New Member

We are looking to do a concert of movie soundtracks over the next couple of months and want to include a selection of Bond themes and also one of the versions of Pirates of the Carribean.

Having flicked through recordings and concert listings I am still unsure whether there is a definitive version that we should use.

Any help would be appreciated!!!!
  2. alks

alks Member

We have always found the Goff richards version the better one (james bond - medley). Depends what level the band is playing at really. Some are easier and some harder.

3. CJBaggins

CJBaggins Member

I can't be of much help, but i have played one version of 'Pirates of the Caribbean' which im pretty sure was arranged by Bruce Fraser, and in my opinion, i definately wouldn't go for this arrangement. I suppose it depends on what you're looking for, but i thought it was very simplified (unnecessarily so in some places) and being a fan of the Original Soundtrack i didn't think much of the arrangement it at all.

sorry i can't be of more help, just thought i'd share with you my opinions on the one i have played!
  4. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Id recommend the music from the 2nd Pirates film, cant remember what its properly called, but its really good, altho we had 5 percussionist playing it with all the stuff its got!
  5. CJBaggins

CJBaggins Member

With reference back to my earlier post, just in case you were wondering, the one i've played is an arrangement of music from the 1st film, based on the tracks from the cd 'The Medallion Calls', 'The Black Pearl', 'One Last Shot', 'Walk the Plank' and 'He's a Pirate'. A bit more information on it for you there:)
  6. agentorange

agentorange Member

Can't say i'm a fan of the 'medley' type piece but the version we play of pirates is quite good.

It's 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest' arranged by Jay Bocock, scored for brass band by John Blanken, published by the Walt Disney Music Company.
  7. brassed_off

brassed_off Member

We play the John Blanken (i think) version version of the first Pirates of the Caribbean film. Audience liked it and it's not too tricky, but not weird either.
  8. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

We play our conductor's arrangement which is pretty good and i think it's "The Black Pearl" music. I'v eheard lots of these arrangements and most i've heard have been "Black Pearl".
  9. Tub Thumper

Tub Thumper Member

For a Bond selection, the Goff Richards one is better ('James Bond Collection'?) but it depends on the level of your band. I have a heard 4th section bands play it well but I think there a few awkward 'corners' in it which would need some time spending on them to get it right.

Darrol Barry's 'Best of Bond' is easier but is still really well arranged, sounds excellent and is playable by bands of pretty much any standard.

If you are looking for other film music, we've recently used Steve Sykes' arrangement of 'Star Wars' and Alan Fernie's arrangement of 'The Second Waltz' from Shostakovitch's Jazz Suite (used in the film 'Eyes Wide Shut') and I would recommend both of them. Both well arranged but quite straight forward.
  10. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Could we dig "Air Force One" back out??? we only played through it once!