Best Tuba Player?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by big_benthomson, Oct 24, 2003.

?

Tuba or Bass?

1. Tuba

59.5%
  2. Bass

40.5%
  1. Seeing as there is quite a contingent of tuba blowers on this here organisation, who is your favourite tuba player?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Big Gav
    Trombone
    lot
    Best Tuba Player
    Gav
  3. leisa

leisa Active Member

Joe Cook :p

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

John Fletcher for me. And I reckon he'd still be the best around today if he were alive.

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

p.s. no disrespect to the many, many fine tuba/bass players around today!

6. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

austin davies from cory

7. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Agreed Dave. Listen to some of his recordings and they are just mind boggling. The standard of playing and his range are just sensational!
    Can't think of anyone better.

Of those alive today i would have to say that Dyke's Joe Cook is an amazing talent.
    Don't you just hate people who are that good? :( But don't you just love listening to them :D

8. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Pat Sheridan can do silly things on the tuba.

In terms of banding, for full blooded section leading power it has to be Gavin Saynor from YBS.

When I conduct bands, I try to call basses tubas, because that's what they are.... but you get frowned upon!

John
    Rothwell Temps (& rogue conductor to other bands :wink: )

9. dyl

dyl Active Member

I'd have to agree! Besides, the wife wouldn't forgive if I didn't back her brother! ;)

PS. Can't see the point in having that poll at the top though!

10. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Simple. Fletcher.

11. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

It must be John Fletcher.

I once heard the Philip Jones Ensemble play a very avant-gard concert in Cardiff Uni. In the interval John came onto the stage and said that the band members had just done a note count and he had played the least notes in the first half. That meant he had to play a solo item. We expected more of the same but he proceeded to play 'Flight of the Bumble Bee' and was amazing. A great guy and talent sadly missed.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Big Gav
    Trombone
    lot
    Best Tuba Player
    Gav
  13. Tom

Tom Member

John Fletcher, Sam Pilafian, Jim Self and after hearing him at the European, Oystein Baadsvik

14. stopher

stopher Member

For me, Big Gav!

Top bloke, good laugh, excellent musician and gives the kids in the band someone to look up to, literally!

He is the loudest bass player I've heard - I played in a theatre pit with him once where he ripped a note on the bass. Not only did he make the dancers jump above him with the power, he also knackered the bass by blowing a lump of solder out of it!!!! Animal!

15. Hilary Mateer

Hilary Mateer Member

Steve Sykes. :D
    I have heard him play the most amazing fast technical stuff and really entertain the audience.
    But it his slow playing I really enjoy. He has got a wonderfull sound and puts so much expression into his playing.
    He is a really nice guy as well - he has been the bass tutor at the Summer School I go to and has given me a lot of tips and encouragement

16. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Steve Sykes... Met him a few years ago- great bloke, great player...
    :D

17. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Has to be Steve Sykes - top bloke. I really like James Gourlay too, only ever heard him as a soloist though, not in a band.

18. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

John Fletcher, but don't forget the doyen of the fab Dyke years, Derek Jackson, that's if we're talking bass players.

19. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

Of the players of today- Pat Sheridan, Sam Pilafian, Roland Sventpali (also a fine composer), Jim Gourlay, Steve Sykes are all great soloists. We also have many great players in bands at the moment- Shaun Crowther, Joe Cook, Gav Saynor to name but a few.

B Flat is another art, Dean Morley and Derek Jackson being 2 of the greats.

20. paddo

paddo Member

Best Tuba Players?

We now have a problem? are we talking Tuba, which i class as Eb or are we talking the real men! the Bb players?

I think as far as tuba playing goe's it would have to be Fletcher, but this i think would be closely followed by Syke'sy.

Bass players on the other hand, well now let me think?

There are the obvious ones, but what about the ones that have been there for years and as they don't play with the cream of banding must not be any good? eh!

any thoughts on those players?

21. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

...and if anyone hasnt heard him as a soloist then you need to get Leylands latest CD, The Alchymist's Journal!! :D
    James Gourlay solo's with us playing Vaughan Williams' Tuba Concerto...

(Just thought I'd sneak another promotion of the CD) :lol:

;-)

now, back on topic! :p

22. Tom

Tom Member

You haven't named your own favourite Ben