Best Trombone Player

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by lynchie, Oct 28, 2003.

1. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I know this was sort of discussed in the Female thread but since every other instrument seems to have a Best... thread I thought we should get one too.

Just as a quick short list, mine would probably be out of

Brett Baker
    Chris Jeans
    Nick Hudson

Probably in pretty much that order... I know Chris Thomas was mentioned in the other thread but I can't say I've heard much of him.

Oh, and I think it should be restricted to brass band players... if we start getting these orchestral players involved it could start riots!!!
  2. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I think there are really too many quality trombone players to be able to definitively say who is the best.
    But to put my two penny's worth in I'm gonna stick with Simon Cowen (Solo trom of YBS before Chris Jeans)
    Perhaps I'm a bit biased because he has taught me and i know him but his technique is so flawless, and he is the coolest person i have ever seen on a stage. 8) 8)
    Contests and concert wise he is so laid back and i have never heard him play badly.

He has my vote :D
  3. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

I'm going to go for simon cowan in second, I've heard that neiltwist is pretty good, so I'll go for him!

but to be fair there are so many good trombone players about it's hard to say either way.

what about ian bousfield, is he counted as brass band at all?
  4. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

If I had to select have the pick of traditionally 'brass band' players, I would go for Nick Hudson.

Away from traditional banding: Joe Alessi, Christian Lindberg, Ian Bousfield, Dudley Bright...all very different but everyone of them are terrific.

Rothwell Temps
  5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

This was why i tried to restrict it to brass band players... if you look at trombonists as a whole there are way too many to pick from!!!
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Even within brass band players it is hard to compare, as some are more often heard in the lighter style of solo, whilst others seem more ready to tackle contemporary works.

I've always been impressed by Chris Thomas, who seems to lead the section particularly well, whilst Nick Hudson, Brett Baker and Ian Bousfield have got to be up there. On his day, Andrew Justice of Enfield and the ISB is also impressive, though he may not be quite so consistent as the others.
  7. Moy

Moy Active Member

What about young Andrew King...was most impressed when I heard him up here in Scotland.
    He is studying at the RSAM.
  8. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

ne that don't steal cornet solos i.e. golden slippers!!!!! :wink:

I know i'm biased because im in the army but i think Paul Graham - peter graham's brother, Kevin Hayward - bandmaster of the Canadian Staff Band and Brad Turnbull - 2nd trom in the ISB (should be top he's much better than Andrew Justice!!!) deserve a mention

In particular Paul, when the ISB came to Cardiff Canton about 2 years ago, paul played fiesta on the sunday afternoon and he hit a cracking super C at the end, no splits or wavering just pure sound, and how many people do u know who could do that on a sunday afternoon, just after lunch! :wink:
  9. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Steven, two things:

a) You are army barmy - for once can you name a player who is not within it's ranks who you rate?! I challenge you before the tmp community!

b) Also, what you say about Andrew Justice is a little OTT. Yes, you are entitled to say that you feel Brad is better than Andrew (I have my opinion which will stay with me!), but think about section balance. It's not about 'who is better..right, we'll stick him top' - Andrew has been the epitome of consistency in the principal chair for 15 years or so now. Brad ( who really is an excellent player) joined a few years back and now they have a terrific 3-man section. I can name a few top top outfits where the 2nd trom could be as profficient as end chair man but it doesn't always mean you have to stick them in the end chair.

Rothwell Temps
  10. Ben Williamson

Ben Williamson New Member

here's what i think...

at the moment the best are brett baker and chris thomas. but i think andy king will be the best by far i the future.

but what about richard edwards! a jazz legend!something to ponder!
  11. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

I know he's American and an SA player, but I'm going to throw Herb Bruce's name in to the mix. If anyone's heard any Spiritual to the 'Bone stuff you'll understand why (a proper, and I mean proper, super D on 2 CD's is something to be proud of). But currently in the UK banding scene, folks like Chris Jeans and Nick Hudson get my vote.
  12. timbloke

timbloke Member

Well i don't know many banding tromb players. so i will go for michael hext (since i'm now playing on one of his old trombones) or maybe deadly dull (dudley bright - no offence just how someone once reffered to him).

However i will say that in about 5 years time the name Tim Benson will be world renowned.

watch this space.
  13. Jordan

Jordan Member

I'd go for jon pippen (ex brighouse solo trom) he's excellent and also a great mate of mine, either him or the guy of the lurpak advert!!!!!! :lol: :D

The BTM Band do not except responsibilty for alun monkey swinging on a shamrock shopper bus!!!!!!! hahahaha
  14. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Yeh i got lessons of John Pippen a few years ago and he was fab.

Is he still in Portugal????? Or was that an excuse for cheap ale? :D
  15. Tuba Girl

Tuba Girl Member

Mr Pippen is in sunny Wales!!!!!!!!
    An excellent trombone player and not a bad Euph, baritone, timp and triangle player.
  16. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I know you all said keep the orchestral players out of it, but how can you NOT put Christian Lindberg on top?

AS for brass band bones, a name to keep an eye open for is Australian Greg Aitken. Greg lectures on bone and euphe at conservatoriums, plays in pit orchestras and ensembles, conducts Brisbane Brass (A grade - as high as we go here Down Under), and has been known to "fill a seat" when Grimey comes down our way. He has a great sound, and isn't afriad of it. One of my pet hates is a shy trombonist. What a waste of a good instrument!!!
  17. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

yeah, I know Mr Lindberg is awesome, and so would naturally come top of the list, but as far as I know he's never played in a brass band... Strange really, since he's tried most other types of accompaniment!
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If any player's name provokes controversy it must be Christian Lindberg! Whenever his name comes up on it seems to bring out the worst in everybody. People either seem to be his greatest fans or his sternest critics, and I must confess to being somewhat disappointed when I heard the broadcast of this year's proms performance.

As for performing with bands, I know he appeared at one of the gala concerts a while back, causing some controversy with his choice of repertoire, but maybe someone can confirm whether he played anything with band accompaniment?
  19. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

Chris Thomas :wink:
  20. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I know in his list of repertoire, he has the Mozart horn concerto with a note saying it can be swapped if any horn players or other local musicians feel offended! I think the only problem would be him playing it better than them!

Personally I like the fact that he plays very little "traditional" trombone music and goes for a lot of contemporary stuff, although there are always going to be those people who would prefer to hear Bluebells of Scotland a thousand times...