best triangle player !

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Flugelatbr, May 19, 2004.

1. Flugelatbr

Flugelatbr New Member

This one is sure to swell a few heads. So who is thebest traingle player at the moment? you must take into consideration the technical demands and tonal quality of the instrument and who plays it the best.

mmm???

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tonal quality
    thebest traingle player
    technical demands
    best triangle player
    instrument
  3. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Gav at YBS, gotta be, he's so good with the 3 sided instrument!!

4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

No, that lad that played tuned perc at Pogson Bray contest...the fluidity of his movements when thrashing out a silent triangle roll were unsurpassable!! :D :D

Sorry, no idea who he was or who he played for, just thought he deserved a mention.

He went for it, missed it and glared at it as if it was the triangles fault!! Priceless. :tup

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

What a wonderfully silly thread! ;-) Made my day!

Next... the European Brass Band 'Silent Brass' CHampionships. All players in each band must have silent brass mutes in their instruments throughout, However, percussionists are required to play their parts as directed complete with all the dynamics as marked.

The National 'Tacet soloist' Championships. Players are required to provide a solo of at least diploma standard diffculty to be accompanied by piano. However, contestants are barred from playing their solo parts throughout the entire performance. (Okay, which wag just said 'the trombonists would still play it too loudly'? ;-))

6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

:lol: :lol: Hard contest this about best triangle player... Mmmmm.

Love the idea Dave about the European Brass Band 'Silent Brass' Championships... Class!

:lol:

7. asteria

asteria Member

Mr Bowd at Faireys, his triangle playing at the beginning of soul bossa nova is unique to say the least!

8. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

surprisingly, Sparkly has an amazing affinity for the triangle... I remember well her trying to keep the thing still so she could hit it and trying to count at the same time... well it was entertaining anyway! :wink:

9. skillfull brass

skillfull brass New Member

Once asked a percussionist if he wanted to use our square marching triangle :lol: . Needless to say he scooted off to ask his conductor if he could!!!!!

10. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

There is an art to playing the triangle... I'm teaching drummergurl later, I'll start off with triangle I think; see how she gets on

;-)

11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well if you're going to teach someone the triangle, Naomi, it probably IS best to start off with the triangle. ;-) :lol: :lol:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tonal quality
    thebest traingle player
    technical demands
    best triangle player
    instrument
  13. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Vision On, circa 1975

The Burbs (for the younger viewer, these were thought bubbles that "talked" to each other)

Burb 1: I play the guitar. It's very hard you know.

Burb 2: The triangle's harder.

Burb 1: What? How do you work that out?

Burb 2: You try playing a tune on a triangle.....

14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

And he had three different sizes to cope with in "St Magnus" :wink:

15. jpbray

jpbray Member

No idea!! however ye may scoff, but the right note in the wrong place is a WRONG NOTE :twisted: :twisted:

16. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Try playing a decent tune on a guitar........ (meeeeeeeeOOOOOOWWWWWWWWwwwww!) ;-)

17. jpbray

jpbray Member

Yes! they had to arrange "orange juice" for brass band so they get a decent tune. :lol: :lol:

18. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Laugh ye not... Our triangle looks like it was designed by NASA, and pings most eloquently when struck correctly. Wanted to play it, but was demoted to cornet instead. If I work up through the ranks of the sponge section, then I may get another go...

19. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Referring to an earlier comment I made on this thread, is there a practice mute similar to the Silent Brass available for NASA-esque triangles? (What do you mean, 'Yup, it's called the rubbish bin'????)

;-)

20. PeterBale

Isn't the main tune played on cor anglais in the original :?:

21. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Here's another Payn-esque (or 'Payn'ful!) thread in the offing.

Can the cor anglais play a role in the modern brass band?

(Joking, folks, just joking... ;-))

To answer your question Peter, yes, but it is subsequently taken up, with embellishments, by the guitar.

22. PeterBale