Best Thing Done By Yourself

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Oct 27, 2005.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

What is the best thing you have ever done YOURSELF for your Band to benifit from?

2 Years ago i did a Sponsord Swim to raise money for the NATIONAL FINALS in DUNDEE £950.00 raised.;)
  2. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

I built a website for our band.

Once the band sees it at the next rehearsal, it may change a little and pick up an actual domain name. The section leaders have already seen it and approve.
  3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Practiced! :)
  4. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

My daughter....but the missus did help a little bit as well ;) :biggrin:
  5. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

Is she a member of your band then????????
  6. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

She is a loyal member of the merry band of maestro supporters!
  7. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I spent a month working as an elf in Santas Grotto. The charity running it gave me a grant to buy a tenor horn (that's what I was playing at the time) and the band got a share of the profits which was a couple of hundred pounds
  8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I composed the band's march.

In two days.
  9. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Was one of the best celebrations at the time!
  10. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Nah, its always better with a girl...
  11. HBB

HBB Active Member

Why did I know you were gona say that! :eek: *********editted***** sandman.. you rock!
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Ahem...moving on...:rolleyes:

Best thing by me (well it was me and my family in truth) was organising my Dad's and Father-in-law's rememberance concerts a couple of years ago, after both died very suddenly within a few short weeks of each other. We managed to get this off the ground in a few weeks, and raised over £1000 for heart charities in the process. The concert was superb, and a fitting tribute to Colin and Terry.

It was a proud and emotional night for me.
  13. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

I organised a concert for Blackley Band at a time they were in financial trouble and were suffering from a bit of audience fatigue. I came up with the idea of a cream tea concert in the local church hall which opened up the band to a wider public. Twas tricky because the committee needed some persuading that it would work and wouldn't really back me so I did it myself, and at the time of the concert I was 8 months pregnant with my daughter. Unfortunately I was rushed into hospital the day before the concert and didn't actually get to see it all come to fruition.

It was a rip roaring success though - they ran out of scones and cream and had to run down to Sainsbugs for more, and the world famous Blackley Band Cream Tea concerts continued for the next 11 years.......makes me proud!!
  14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Does arranging the first "stand-alone" concert by the tMP band count?