Best Test Pieces of the last 10 years

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Aurora771, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Daveflug

Daveflug New Member

2. Ali

Ali Member

my list is exactly what this thread is about. The best ten pieces written in the last 10 years (although St Magnus mag be a little older now)
    In no particular order:
    Rococo Variations
    Vienna Nights
    Titans Progress (simply awesome)
    Dreams (again simply awesome)
    Power of the soul
    St Magnus
    The Drop
    And the river told
    Torch bearers
  3. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Care to elaborate?
  4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Jame Cook as most enjoyable played :clap:but you could have guessed that anyway :D,followed by "Wayfarer"
    "Devil& Deep Blue Sea":tup
  5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

some folks have very interesting definitions of "10 years"........ ;)

Curious that most of the test pieces listed (that have been written since 2002!) are top section.
    Someone said Saint-Saens Variations, I only heard it a couple of times but really liked it. There must be some other 'lower section' gems out there too?
  6. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

High Peak (2012) !
  7. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

Lower section gems look no further than Dark Side of the Moon by PLC and Penlee by Simon Dobson two superb pieces and great for both listener and player
  8. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Mountain Views (Didn't have to play it :rolleyes: )
  9. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Just pressed "Like" button !
  10. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Though I love most of Eric Balls wonderful musical portfolio, I must say "High Peak" (and I've played it) never reached the heights for me.

Mr Wilx
  11. Accidental

Absolutely agree, but I didn't realise it had been used as a test piece... I obviously don't pay enough attention to contests outside the UK!
  12. Coverhead

Coverhead Member

I believe it was used at the National Youth Championships... 'inside' the UK! ;)
  13. Accidental

if it was, touche.... and I clearly don't pay enough attention to the youth comps either!
    (that isn't listed on brassbandresults though, which is where you can see its been used in Belgium, America etc)

and staying with non-championship section pieces, this may be a bit controversial but I really liked Pentacle.
  14. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

That was my belief too. It's such a great piece and a solid challenge for bands around third or second section. Would be a great regional piece if it was used
  15. Coverhead

Coverhead Member

Snap... not sure the majority of the band agreed though!!
  16. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

How about Philip Harpers duo of Kingdom of Dragons and Olympus? Big fan of the former, good to rehearse and to listen to. Darrol Barry's Prelude and Jubilate is another good un, and I enjoyed Episodes in Brass by Gareth Churcher. Four Noble truths though is one of my favourite pieces from any section!
  17. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

At last! I'm not alone! ( I enjoyed Pentacle still enjoy listening to it too )
  18. simonium

simonium Member

Having just heard Extreme Makeover for the first time - it's going on my list. Fantastic piece.
  19. KernowSop

KernowSop Member

Si, isn't that an American tv programme hosted by Ty Pennington?? ;)

My vote: Land of the Long White Cloud.
  20. KernowSop

KernowSop Member

My vote: Land of the Long White Cloud.[/QUOTE]

Ok, it wasn't within the last 10 years, but it should be brought out again! Last played in 2000.