Best test piece!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by chizzum, Mar 10, 2006.

1. chizzum

chizzum Member

Does anybody agree that the best test piece has to be ''Shine as the Light'' by Peter Graham! No other test piece can match its success and its all round feel it gives everybody in ear shot! :p
  2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I agree its a great piece, but its not really a test piece is it? Not long enough for starters :-?
  3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

It was not written as a test piece . . . although it may have been used in a contest somewhere at sometime.

It's a very good piece, although I'm not even sure it's Graham's best work.
  4. chizzum

chizzum Member

It is a his best work by far! Anybody name any better?
  5. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Harrison's Dream.
  6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Take a look at 100 Greatest Test Pieces in the library... if I remember rightly Journey into Freedom was the overall favourite (its mine too!)
  7. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I concur. Especially in the original concert band form (it was commissioned by the US Air Force Band here in Washington).

The Essence of Time is also outstanding.
  8. chizzum

chizzum Member

I haven't heard Harrisons ..... but i do agree that Essence of Time is a fabulous piece. But for competition winners my favourite is still shine as the light!
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:rolleyes: ... mmmm! I thought it was commissioned for the 2000 National Championships?
  10. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Not sure which version was written first, the delay in the date of the award is not unusual for a piece commissioned by a US military band (they are not allowed to profit from publication or recordings, so they often have a period of exclusivity before allowing others to perform the work).
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- seems that the facts are blurred depending on whether you are brass or wind band orientated. 4BR and Black Dyke's sites attribute the commission to Boosey & Hawkes whilst wind band site references quote USAF as source (... maybe because of the award in 2002?). Even on the Gramercy site, Peter Graham says it was commissioned by each. Confusing!
  12. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

The wind band version is still outstanding, regardless of which he wrote first . . . my favorite work of his.
  13. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

Best Test Piece has to be..... The Night to Sing... No Magnus.... hang on Eden.... OH both Journeys... WAIT Extreme Makeover... Diamond Heri....Cloudcathe....Year of.... ARGHHHH SO MANY!!!!!
  14. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

prisms! :biggrin:
  15. I agree that "Shine as the light" is a great piece, however, as has been mentioned here earlier, it is a tad too short to be considered a test piece. Its a quality piece to maybe finish either half of a concert, but not as a tast piece.
    My personal all-time fave has to be "St Magnus"..... aaaah memories of playing that in NZ in 2005 ...... MARVELLOUS :D

16. Christ! I ain't even had a drink today!!! Obviously I meant test piece...
  17. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I have many Favorite tests pieces but my all time fav is
  18. HBB

HBB Active Member

St. Magnus and Essence of Time :)
  19. Leggy

Leggy New Member

for me it has to be Harmony Music - with the emphasis on "test"! A truly great performance of this piece would be the only piece of brass band music you'd ever need to listen to in your life.
  20. andyp

andyp Active Member

Hmmmmmm.......toss up between Blitz and Contest Music for me.