best soprano solo EVER!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by beard_4b, Sep 11, 2003.

1. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

Welcome to our 5th installment!

For some unknown reason there have never been many of hese written but once again i stand by the SA reportoire and it has to be 'high fidelity' a groundbreaking sop solo by bearcroft never heard a sop solo like it!!!!

Any thoughts?

(next in the series is horn solos be prepared!!!)
  2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

3. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

SOLO'S - not players!!!

We all know the best sop player is steve barnsley of cory who 4barsrest dont rate atall! obviously you've never heard him play!!!!
  4. greatcheese

greatcheese Member

Queen Of The Night's Aria (from The Magic Flute :? ) is one of my big time favourites.

Have a recording of Kevin Crockford playing it with Grimethorpe. It needs power and boy has he got it :!:
  5. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

With so many threads appearing with similiar titles what do you expect!

6. Bariman

Bariman Member

Careful. Politeness doesn't cost anything.

Suggest you count to 10 before firing of another comment such as this.

Have you got problems with your Shift 1 key?
  7. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

Roger, I'll send you my Sop solo, Dreams are to be Without Motion, for free and you can rate that.
  8. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

I do apologise! didnt mean 2 offend any1!

Maybe i'll put a happy face after comments like that in future like this :D

any better?
  9. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Erm... have you read the Open preview? They have him down as the player to watch for Cory, and I think they rate him quite highly. The fact that he is not in their "top ten of all time" list doesnt mean anything... theres lots of great players not in there!
  10. mutsuj

mutsuj Member

Well only time will tell, this piece will certainly test the very best sop players to their limits ...especially interested in which ones actually play the dynamics....P & PP, and not just play safe
  11. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I went to see YBS in concert about 3 yrs ago now in Plymouth... they played a sop solo that was absolutly fantastic.. I forget what it was, but I'll try find the programme if I still have it.
  12. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

i can't believe rubital hasn't picked up on this thread already!!

I like 'on with the motley'
  13. leisa

leisa Active Member

lol, i like on with the motley too and nessum dorma!! i'd say michelle ibbotson and kevin crockford for best players!
  14. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I still like the intermezzo from cavellera rusticana
  15. cornetblower

cornetblower Member

I like 'bring him home'
  16. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

My fav sop solo is "Let me try again", not too difficult but played well sounds lovely
  17. markyboy

markyboy Member

Live and let die gets my vote amongst a few others.
    Just been trying to find a cd that Faireys made about ten years ago. It has a sop solo by Philip Sparke called 'Cappricio?' . I know it was played by Craig Bennett, but I cant the cd.
    I think thats the title anyway. Thats a really great solo and performance.
    Would be interested to know what is on Peter Roberts new cd. Anyone got a sneak preview?
  18. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Not too much to choose from to be honest, I've done (and am STILL doing :( ) On with the Motley, Summertime (lovely piece, but someone PLEASE do a decent arrangment of it!), Queen Of the Nights Aria (the wimps arrangment, hey I'm not Kevin Crockford you know), Rhapsody For Soprano (though never done it with a band and didn't particularly like it at the time).

I think Motley has to be my Favorite.
  19. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

You be pleased to know that I'm intending doing an arrangment of Summertime, but not as a solo, sop or otherwise. I am going to do Send in the Clowns a sop solo!
  20. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

A quick plug -

Cappriccio - Phillip Sparke

Paul Argyle (our very fine sop player!) has just recorded this on our latest CD 'Spitfire' which is due for release at the start of October.

Some other great music on there too, contact me if you want any further details:

Rothwell Temperance Band