Best Soprano Player - Poll

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Griffin, Sep 17, 2004.

?

Who is the Best Soprano Player of all time?

1. Peter Roberts

45.7%
  2. Alan Wycherley

13.2%
  3. Kevin Crockford

13.2%
  4. Martin Winter

2.7%
  5. Brian Evans

6.8%
  6. Other

18.3%
  1. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

As a follow on from the 'Best Soprano Player' discussion, I though a poll was needed to see who is the most popular Sop player as voted by tMP users.
    I apologise if I miss anyone out - vote 'Other'

2. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

i think uve missed out the poll!

3. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Sorted!

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I havent heard all these players, but I've gone for Peter Roberts... absolutly amazing playing :tup stands the hairs on my neck up everytime :) just pure class

5. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Suprised no one has voted for Martin Winter! Yes - a Trumpet player, but can also play the Sop fantasically well. Not suprised to see Pete winning though.

Come on Crockers!! (my vote)

6. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

i would agree with you there!

7. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Peter Roberts is, for me, simply outstanding! Every recording I've heard of him I've jus thought "Wow! What a musician!" I'm not even bothered if he plays the right notes (though he invariably does), but his musicianship is second to none!

8. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

I heard Mr Roberts new cd today for the first time. Some nice playing on it but nothing that hadn't been done maybe better by Brian Evans before him. He is still phenominal though!

9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

BRIAN EVANS just A TOP PLAYER who canplay with such ease.:-D

10. JANUARYMAN

JANUARYMAN Member

No Steve Barnsley? I have personally only heard him play 'live' twice, at the Open contest this year and last, but both times have been nothing less than outstanding, pure class!

Dave

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Poll
    Soprano Player
    Yip
    sound
    others
  12. choirmaster

choirmaster Member

JANUARYMAN said:-

No Steve Barnsley? I have personally only heard him play 'live' twice, at the Open contest this year and last, but both times have been nothing less than outstanding, pure class!

I couldn't agree more, and said so previously on this thread. I don't know if anybody heard him on Manx radio last week playing the intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana, but it was out of this world. Complete with a soprano high D at pp to finish.

13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... well I know it's supposed to be a poll of the best sop. player, but I want to give credit to one of the most consistent players I've heard on that instrument ... & that award goes to Graeme Lewis who played with the Sun Life Band. Not much has really been said about him, and I have no idea who he is playing with now (... if at all). An unsung hero on sop. in my opinion.

14. kensar

kensar Member

Best Sop EVER

Only one name in the frame - Emlyn Bryant. An all around nice person too!!

15. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

My conductor (Tom Paulin) used to play in front of Emlyn Bryant and has always said he was one of the best if not the best.

16. Syrup

Syrup Member

Brian Evans is also a top bloke.

I voted for Alan Wycherley. Once sat at the side of him on a massed bands concert where we played Diadem of Gold, his playing was out of this world.

17. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Kevin Ashman was Sop with theISB for a good few years and I heard him on numerous occasions and he never dropped a note.Not sure how he compares with the contenders in the poll but worth an honourable mention I feel.

18. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

wow, didn't expect Pete Roberts to be so popular! personally, a bit bland for me (but thats my own opinion), like Fitzy says, 'legend' doesnt really have anything on it that isn't exceptional. As I have said before, my choice is Kevin Crockford - I think that his personality actually comes through with his playing. I think that people who have met him would agree.

19. Syrup

Syrup Member

I have also been lucky enough to sit at the side of Crockers on a couple of massed band concerts and he is a star. There's much more to his playing that just being loud, his technique is great, he can play quiet and there is a massive amount of control in his playing. There is also his legendary stamina, which I was thankful of once at the end of a massed band concert playing Procession to the Minster, I was getting tired and he just stepped in there and helped me out no problem, including a top D finish!. Kev is a great bloke, I count him as one of my friends and he always takes time to speak to people.

Also, I wonder whether Pete Roberts will release a volume 2 of his solo CD once at Dyke, he could include the solos that he used to play in all the solo contests, such as Fantaisie Brilliante and Debutante. That would be a best-seller.

20. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I can't vote for any particular one of them to tell you the truth. I just think it takes so much bottle to be a sop player that they all deserve a medal!

Respec'

21. tim

tim Member

Im suprised to see that alex kerwin isn't up there in the poll but there are some great players up there to!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Poll
    Soprano Player
    Yip
    sound
    others