Best SA piece

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ross Berry, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Ross Berry

Ross Berry Member

It's been a few years now since the SA released its music to non-SA groups (although some pieces such as 'Praise' appeared to crop up on the black market before then).

As someone who has grown up with SA music, it would be interesting to know what pieces other groups were most pleased that they now have in their repertoire. Also what pieces, if any, they play because their MD likes them but the band can't stand.
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

..... such a difficult question to answer, but I'll stick my 'neck' out and give my vote for Ray Steadman-Allen's 'The Holy War'. Granted many will go for Heaton, Ball, Graham, Condon etc. for their favourite SA works, but the music of Steadman-Allen excites me as he writes so skillfully and with so much passion. Up-to-date works by others include 'Rhapsody' by Brenton Broadstock (one of my favourite contemporary SA composers) and Ultrachrome (William Himes). But there are so many more to discover.... Kevin Norbury, Thomas Rive, Dudley Bright, Bruce Broughton (... whatever happened to the Open promise of his 'The Masters Of Space And Time'? Used at the American Championships but what about here?) and many more! I'm still on a learning curve exploring this area of brass band music.
  3. L J

L J Member

Favourite S A Piece -

This is a difficult question to answer due to the fact that there are so many different types of music that can be classified
    e.g. marches, selections, festival marches, tone poems .....
    Some pieces are transcriptions, some are original compositions.
    My fav March would probably be Under Two Flags or Anthem of The Free - for street marhces
    Selections - Goffin's Arise my Soul, Arise -
    Meditative - The Light of The World
    Transcription - Ray Steadman Allen's Sanctus -

Then there is Resurgam! -

Can't stop!
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

For me, a couple that would be up there with the best would be Eric Ball's "Song of Courage" and Les Condon's "Song of the Eternal", and I've also got a soft spot for Ken Downie's "Rhapsody: Through the Blood of the Lamb" and our own Brian Bowen's "My Comfort & Strength".
  5. Tony Toon

Tony Toon New Member

One piece - among many - that does it for me - "Call of the Righteous" Leslie Condon.

Tony Swainson
  6. al74

al74 New Member

At the Edge of Time
  7. DaveBBb

DaveBBb Member

Eric Ball's 'Resurgam' and Kenneth Downie's 'In Perfect Peace'
  8. jasonG

jasonG New Member

Heros of the faith!>>> Remember being a 13 year old sop player trying to get to grips..
  9. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Likewise - albeit on 1st baritone having just joined the senior band and it being one of the first Festival Series pieces I played.

Will throw in a mention of Ray Bowes' "King's Crusader". Cracking piece and very different to his other works. Tackled it at Cobham under Steve Cobb back in 88.
  10. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Romans '8' A Brass Celebration - Ray Steadman Allen

I first played this with the 'A' Band at Cobham in 1985. one of RSA's best
  11. al74

al74 New Member

At the Edge of Time is RSA's best work
  12. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Victorian Snapshots On A Ratcliffe Highway by Ray Stedman Allen
    Used for 2007 National Final test piece 1st section.
    A great piece of music and so very demanding also a good one to listen to as well:clap:;):tup:):sup
  13. jasonG

jasonG New Member

Wow, yeah, I'd forgotten King's Crusader totally! What a great piece...:clap:
  14. steve sizeland

steve sizeland New Member

Difficult, but being old(!) "Symphony of Thanksgiving". Cracking bass part!
  15. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

From my limited experience I hope all of these are actualy S.A.* anyway, from what its worth my tops would be:

Kingdom Triumphant
    Just as I am
    Golden Slippers
  16. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

No one mentioned Shine as the Light yet.

I know it has been played to death, but I think give it a few years it will come back and stick around on an off a bit like Resurgam.

I have recently taken a liking to Kevin Ponsford's music. I hope he gets to be more popular as some of his stuff is great.

All time favorite piece please do not ask! Probably Shine as the Light, if it is played reasonably it always leaves me with hairs on my neck standing.
  17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

All SA, although "Resurgam" is the odd one out, having been originally published by Smiths, and then reprinted in the SA Festival Series.
  18. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Difficult to say "best SA piece" as per the original thread title, as it's always going to be subjective. However, if you substitute "most important" for "best", it becomes a little more objective, and I think there's a strong case to be made for "The Holy War" as being a bit of a watershed.
  19. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

The Present Age
    Kingdom Triumphant
    Light of the World
    Just As I Am
    The Crusaders.

Don't know about the best, but I'd be more than a tad happy to have all of the above on a CD.
  20. tinytim

tinytim New Member

One of my favourites too, but just wish the printed parts were easier to read.