Best Performances? On Which Piece?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Matt-Trom939, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Matt-Trom939

Matt-Trom939 Member

In all of your banding career which of the contest performances you and your band have given do you think was the finest? Which test piece did you give it on?

(it doesnt have to be with your current band of course! :biggrin:)

AND dont feel you have to say a contest you won......Say what you felt was your best performance.....not what an adjudicator thought!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  2. Matt-Trom939

Matt-Trom939 Member

Ill start it off anyway.

Mine was in Burryport last year when we performed Gilbert Vinter's Spectrum. We were eventually placed 2nd but everyone on the day was saying that we should have won. Oh well.....

3. Drewdan

Drewdan Member

my first ever solo!(where i had to stand up) It was with the Rogerstone Junior Band, the band played expetionally well, and i think we should have won! But we were against tough competition! But the band (and I) still played very well!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  4. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Blitz at the Welsh area contest in 1999 with Point of Ayr. Awesome performance and we won the contest.

5. weenie

weenie Member

Has to be Tallis Variations at the Grand Shield in 2003 for me. A corker of a show from the band. I remember that rehearsals hadn't been going too well in the week leading up to the contest but we pulled it out of the bag on the day. However, we came in 7th, (which to be fair I can't comment on, as I didn't hear any of the other bands performancies!) But it's one performance that I'll remember for the rest of my life.

6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Difficult to pinpoint this I'm afraid. Here's a few for each of playing and ducting.

Conducting:
    Either (1) Conducting Cwmbran Band in Treorchy entertainment contest, oooh... in about 2000/2001 can't quite remember. Cwmbran won by 7 points or (2) conducting Tredegar Youth band in the last Isle of Wight Entertainment Contest (whenever that was), they won all the prizes, or (3) conducting Cwmbran Band playing Firestorm (S. Bulla) in Ebbw Vale, and winning.

Playing: Either (1) playing Solo Ct with Sun-Life in front of a live studio audience recording in BBC Manchester playing Fantasy for Band, (M.Arnold) or (2) playing Solo Ct with BTM Band in Burry Port playing Dances and Arias.

7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

For me it has to be with Leyland iiiiiin 2004 when we played Tristan Encounters at the areas.... stunning performance and won and it was good.

:lol:
    :)

8. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

For me it was playing rep on Saddleworth Festival overture last year at Whitehaven.

9. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Too many highlights here are a few
    In the competition arena....
    Brass at the Guildhall 2001 - English Heritage Point of Ayr.1st place brother won the best soloist ( 1st recipient of the Charlie Southern Trophy)
    Jazz 2001 Area - Point of Ayr , Beating the then Millenium Double Champions who just looked down their noses at all the other competiting bands , did not show anyone there any respect whatsoever , and they were well rewarded for that day.
    Whitsun Wakes 2002 Area - Beaumaris
    Tristan 2004 Area - Beaumaris
    All the Flowers - London 2004 Beaumaris
    Checkmate - 2002 Grand Shield Beaumaris
    An Epic Symphony 2001 Grand Shield Point of Ayr
    Masquarade 1993 British Open
    Journey into Freedom - 1993 1st section finals Point of Ayr. led by Bjorn Sagstad untouchable that day.
    1993 Radio Wales Band of the Year Final

Concert
    1992 National youth Brass of Wales , of Men and Mountains ( Massed Band ) ,world premier performance of Alun Hoddinotts 8th Symphony for Brass and Percussion.
    1993 National Youth Band of Wales - Fest Musik , Song of Courage , Festal Brass with Blues.
    1995 National Youth Band of Wales
    To be honest every performance with the NYBBW was amazing even getting called out of retirement in 2001
    1997 tour of America as a soloist with a band.
    2002 tour of America and Bermuda , a fantastic band on great form , was jaw droppingly good , concerts at the Royal Acadamy , st Andrews Hall Norwich , Wessex Hall Poole ,
    2006 Dirion Dir Cantata - 50 mins a brilliant piece of music.

A couple of performances sticks out as a listener , when Land of the Long White Cloud was picked as the Mineworkers test piece ( Championship I think 1989/1990) heard point of Ayr at the North Wales Theatre in Llandudno , was an amazing experience first time I had a complete performance , words can describe it. didnt get this until I heard YBS in 1995 playing Revelation at the Open..
    am lucky that had so many good experiences that stand out from the competition area.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  10. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

As a player, has to be Symphony of Marches with what was then Uckfield (Industries) Band at the old lewisham Contest. (Won the best Soprano prize that year)
    As a band performance, Friday Ad Brass winning the regionals at Watford on Dimensions.
    As a conductor, whilst not a winning performance, the one that I will always remember as a prize that got away was with Uckfield Concert Brass at Folkestone on Year of the Dragon.

However, I am confident that all of these will be surpassed at some point in the not too distant future by my current band, Mid Sussex Brass - every contest with them is a joy to conduct.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    contest performances
    Best Performances
    current band of course
    test piece
    biggrin
  12. jamieow

jamieow Member

With band - the 2002 Nova Scotia Tattoo in Halifax, Nova Scotia playing with the Woods Manufacturing Company Brass Band - all of the massed bands bits during the shows were an awesome experience, was literally hundreds and hundreds of musicians from all over the world from all sorts of military and civilian bands playing to 10,000 people a night for 10 days - an experience I'll never forget.
    Pontins 2003 - On Resurgam, winning performance - some seriously good playing.
    1997 2nd Section Nationals win at Birmingham Symphony Hall with Dave King on our front row.

1998 - Schools prom Wales at St David's Hall, Cardiff, with Wrexham Schools Band - my first ever solo with a band, aged 16 - 'The Sun Has Got His Hat On', hall was packed, I 'd split the cadenza earlier in soundcheck too and was dead nervous. Played a blinder!!!!

13. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

Out of about 350 contest performances spanning 35 years, 3 stand out.

Contest Music with Brodsworth Colliery, London finals 1982 . Stunning and i've still not heard a band play it as good since. We ended up 3rd. and was 'robbed'' lol

Comedy Overture with Grimethorpe at the British Open 1984. Not quite the same buzz but we knew we'd won after the first 3 notes. Ended up winning it.

And more recently.

Harmony Music with Ransomes at Butlins 2005.

14. the fish

the fish Member

Not 100% sure of dates, but a few which stick in the mind were -

Pontins Brean Sands around 1994, the music was The Vectis Isle by Derek Broadbent. I was playing for Rover Band (Morris Motors) under Terry Brotherhood. The audience were on their feet and clapping before the end which was a great feeling, the comments were great as Derek was in the box, he said things like just how I wanted this bar and first time I've heard this played correctly today, we won comfortably and qualified for Prestatyn, happy memories!

Leamington Spa with Wantage a couple of years ago, music was Purcell Variations by Ken Downie. We played OK and came third or fourth, but what sticks in my mind was a chap whose name I forget coming up to me and saying how much he enjoyed the music which he hadn't heard before, and in particular my playing and warm BBb sound, a compliment indeed as he said he once played BBb for Black Dyke, mind you he might have been fibbing, but it made my day anyway!

15. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

With Flixton it has to be Preston Contest 2006 (2nd Sc) where we played Prisms (Graham). I felt it just had that "on your edge of your seat" feeling. We did win but I think whatever the result had been that day the band had set a new personal milestone for a contest performance.

16. Matt-Trom939

Matt-Trom939 Member

Technically it wasnt a 'brass band contest' but one performancethat sticks in my mind was in the Music for Youth festival last year in Symphony Hall. I was playing with Newport Music Centre Brass Band and we gave an absolutely cracking performance of Gregsons 'Laudate Dominum'. Everyone gave 365% on the day but we were robbed of the 'Oustanding Performance' award, still walking away with the 'Highly Commended' award.

17. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I agree with Rachel, Preston was a special performance for us.

2 others which stand out for me in my time with Flixton are:

Fleetwood 2004 2nd section, Purcell Variations. That performance was really something. We got a huge round of applause afterwards, and lots of people came up to us afterwards saying how well we had played and how much they had enjoyed it. The adjudicator gave us 3rd place.

Pontins 2005 3rd section, Excelsior (Howard Snell). Though I say it myself, the start of the final movement was magical. After we came off stage our MD gathered us together and told us that he didn't care where we came in the results, we had played brilliantly and could be proud of our performance. In the event, we came 1st.

18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Mine is also not a contest performance, but one of the highlights of my playing career came during a visit by Hadleigh Temple Band to Coventry City. On the Saturday night everything just seemed to fall into place, with our playing of Kenneth Downie's "Majesty" really coming together - certainly the best I recall the band playing, although Heaton's "Victory for me" at a recent divisional congress was alos a little special.

19. persins

persins Member

I have two.
    The first was Harrisons Dream at the Masters 2004. We had a horrendous last week of rehearsals but on the day, something just clicked and it was just fantastic! We were rewarded with a 4th Place finish.
    The second was Music of the Spheres at the Scottish Open 2005. We came third and played an absolute blinder!

20. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Mine had to be the Shield this year playing Whitsun Wakes, was playing the Rep part, never worried so much about something so much before playing it, but when I went on stage it just happened! Was the best I've ever played!

21. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

For me a couple stick out 1 would be Colsten Hall Playing Ballet For Band for Lydmet Lydney Band under the direction of Bryan Hurdley . The band played a blinder and went on to win and play at the Symphony Hall Birmingham which was great in itself

The other would have to be 4th Section areas 2000 with Tewkesbury when although we missed out on going to the RAH we came off the stage and not one person in the band asked how we thought we did which was a sign that we had played the best performance of the piece we could it was a great performance but only in our opinion we came 4th and missed out by 1 point

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    contest performances
    Best Performances
    current band of course
    test piece
    biggrin