Best of Brass again!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by 4ht man down rep, Aug 9, 2008.

1. 4ht man down rep

4ht man down rep New Member

hi all,

we have had a re-run of "come Dancing", "superstars" all 1970's orignal programmes and now "last choir standing"

its about time "Best of Brass", every week day night at 7pm was brought back and of course Granada Band of the year entertainments contest.

if choirs are on bbc1 prime time cant brass be on prime time too!!!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Granada Band
    Best of Brass
    bbc1 prime time
    s orignal programmes
    course Granada Band
  3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

It would certainly be interesting to see if the media (whichever channel put it on) could manage to get the interest high enough to warrant it.
    Would be more interesting to see if they could change the generally perceived image of the brass band, or whether they would play on that image (have the end of every programme finishing with a mass blow of the dreaded floral dance).

4. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I think the "Hell's Bandroom" concept would be more interesting... tantrums, politics...favouritism...inflated egos... :)

5. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Now that would be an interesting project. Worldofbrass, I wonder??? What you think. perhaps Trevor could contact some tv companies and pursuade them!!!

6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Yes this is a great idea;
    Ive got a few old granada band of the year videos that i recorded and are always good to see.

7. jim

jim Member

Iv seen some of the footage on utube, if anyone has ever put them all on to dvd and fancys selling them on id be intrested!

8. This is rather scary as my boss (a non brass enthusiast) mentioned this yesterday after she'd seen as advert for the new conductor one that starts on Tuesday (its related to the proms this year, I just can't remember the name). Its about time they promoted brass banding with something like this!

9. Al

Al Member

Granada Band of the Year was one of the forerunners to all this stuff. But it was in them there days before women were allowed in a brass band other than to make the tea. Some MD (they were called conductors in then) or other allowed his favourite niece to play 2nd Horn and since then the floodgates have right opened.

So yeah, there is definitely a far wider appeal for a brass band audience on TV these days.

10. Markbone

Markbone Member

I've also been watching some old clips on youtube and would love to see something like this on TV now! Surely, with every other type of reality/ competition style programme seemingly on TV, a brass band orientated one (famous for its competitiveness) could be aired!

11. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

they should deffo do this it would be so Good!

So long as they do no test pieces!

Everyone would tune out xoxo

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Granada Band
    Best of Brass
    bbc1 prime time
    s orignal programmes
    course Granada Band
  13. brassbandmaestro

Yes lilcornetgirl, agree wholeheartedly there. Much that I love test pieces, I think with this event no test-pieces should be allowed. Good quality light music, eg big band numbers, entertaining music that would make people clap along or even dance to!! Why not. At band jobs, we have people do that quite often.

14. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

But who would judge? These shows are more about the judges then the contestants these days!!! You would need some sort of "celebrity" on the panel or at least involved in some way or the show wouldnt stand a chance, unless they went down the road of putting some of the impressive array of amazing qualifications to use that are now to be found in virtually every good band. Who's the most known bander? We would probably end up with Harold Bishop, Max Beesley and Melanie Sykes!!!!! Its got to be said though, If some of these **** male voice choirs can get recording contracts and prime time telly, our top bands must surely be in with a chance.

15. jim

jim Member

Well for me the judges you would need somwon with a bit of glamour and charicter Melanie Sykes would be ideal, Richard Evans in for the jokes and good whit and ideas for the third....

16. brassbandmaestro

In that case you would need someone sensible and an oracle of knowledge. David Read, perhaps??

17. John15851

John15851 New Member

I sense a poll or a petition thingy here!!

Dat would be absolutely awesome... I'm sure there are enough peops on here to sway a tv production company to air such a thing :D

18. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Just to play Devil's advocate....put yourself in a non-bander's situation.

Why would you want to watch it?

You won't sway a TV company to make it unless you can convince them it's got an audience outside of bandspeople.....unless you want it on channel 73 at 3am....there's no real celebrity angle (apart from Mel Sykes, Mike Harding or Lesley Garrett)....I know I'd find it entertaining, but what is there to pull in an audience?

This isn't a criticism of the idea or anything like that, I'm just genuinely interested in why you think it'd be such a good idea to those not involved. Answer such as "it'll show them what Banding's all about" are not permitted.....

19. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I take the point Keith, but to play Devil's advocate's advocate for a moment, what is the difference between choirs and bands? I'd say the two movements have an awful lot in common - so what did the Choir Movement of GB (British Federation of Choirs?) do to get a prime time Saturday Night BBC1 slot?

I'll put my hand up here - I don't watch "last choir standing", so I don't really know how it works, but I was, quite frankly amazed that the BBC was putting that out on the "Doctor Who" slot on a Saturday night. It smacks of "we have to out "X-Factor X-Factor somehow, so what do we do?" to me.

Anyway, that said - good luck to them, but as we all know just how entertaining a top band can be I really don't see why (given the "last choir standing" precedent) Best of Brass, or Grenada Band of the Year couldn't be resurrected - with a more noughties title and a judging panel that fits the mould of the rest of these sort of programmes.

20. KMJ Recordings

Bottom line is that many more people sing in choirs or, when you take into account church congregations for example 'understand' singing.

OK, another question - "a judging panel that fits the mould of the rest of these sort of programmes."......who?

(again, this is purely intended as just asking the questions....personally I'd love it to come back)

21. KMJ Recordings

As an addition, it's the reason you'll 'see' and hear many more examples of choral works that fit into radio station's demographics. They go out with clipboards and ask what people want to listen to....then it gets put on the playlist....which means that (just going purely off the relative amounts of airplay that choirs get relative to bands) choirs are less of a risk.

22. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I see a problem with the pieces chosen to be played. Most of these competition type programmes on the telly seem to just use material that the voting audience will instantly recognise and associate with. I can't see any producer willing to allow bands a free-hand to pick what they want!