Best 'Non Rimmer' March

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Payn, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Inspired by thirteen ball's excellent Rimmer March thread, what's your favourite original brass band march NOT by William Rimmer?

My own personal favourite is TJ Powell's Castell Caerfili. As well as containing good march melodies and and having an overall 'rip-roaring' style about it, it has the unusual scoring of having the rep and flugel joining the tenor and bass line feature before the Trio. Most effective!
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... the eventual winner of the tMP march competition..... :p
  3. dyl

dyl Active Member

Good answer! ;)
  4. highlander

highlander New Member

How about "The Southern Cross" by Brian Bowen
  5. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Aww, Cheers! :D On reflection I should've probably just left the poll bit out and let people post!!!!!

I realise it's not going to be a popular choice, but it's probably Standard of St. George, just because it starts with a really good bass solo! (Think it's a K. Alford March, but I could be wrong.)
  6. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

An oldie but goldie - "Soldiers of Christ" (George Marshall) - an old fashioned stylee SA march but a great one !!
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I would plump for Clive Barraclough's Simoraine. Probably the first march I contested with and one I still enjoy listening to. Modern march I would go for is March 2001b (The Oblique One) by Magnus Am. Reason is I would like to play the kazoo part in the trio section. ;)

p.s., March 2001b (The Oblique One) is on Stavanger's CD The Colour-Gobbler (1996, Doyen)
  8. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

SA marches: Montreal Citadel, The Wellingtonian, Victors Acclaimed, Anthem Of The Free or Temple 85, but not on the march.

Non SA: Glorious Victory, Gladiators Farewell, The Contestor.

And that concludes the voting from deepest, darkest,dampest Essex
  9. Bariman

Bariman Member

Always reminds me of a war time RAF v Luftwaffe movie when the hero gets his girl at the end.
  10. highlander

highlander New Member

Must be a good movie
  11. jpbray

jpbray Member

To many to contemplate, but I like the Florentiner March Composed by Julius Fucik
  12. andyp

andyp Active Member

Either "O.R.B" (Charles Anderson) or "Praise" by Wilfred Heaton.
    Also "Gladiator's Farewell", (Blankenberg), and I'd have to agree on "Standard Of St.George", too, my wife and I came out of church to that on our wedding day!
  13. Thirteen Ball

Wahey! I'm not alone!!!

14. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I'm torn beween three.

The Fulham Bricklayers' March
    The Shirland Welfare Training Band March

:wink: ;)
  15. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Sorry to be a bit of a wet blanket, but, under the terms of the original posting (ie: "favourite original brass band march) wouldn't "Standard of St. George" and "Florentiner" both be ineligible, having been originally written for military/wind bands?

Excellent marches, all the same; have to confess to suffering a slight lump in the throat when we lead the British Legion war vets down the High Street with "Standard" on Remembrance Sunday ...

My own favourite original brass band march is probably "Celebration" (SA - Les Condon), although there might be some question of eligibility over that even, being a "Festival March" (SA terminology) rather than a 'plain' March. (certainly wouldn't want to play it on the road, even though it's theoretically possible, unlike some other "Festival" Marches - "The High Council" springs to mind !! )

Other SA marches I particularly like are (in no particular order):

Universal Message
    Southern Cross
    Montreal Citadel
    Victors Acclaimed
    Steadily Onward
    Red Shield
    In the Firing Line
  16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Another under-rated march is Edward Gregson's "Chalk Farm Number 2" - lovely middle section for horns & some quasi-disruptive writing for the trombones - but again not one you could march to!
  17. Thirteen Ball

Is no-one gonna suggest True and Trusty? ;)
  18. jpbray

jpbray Member

We can go on "Star Lake March"
  19. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

This is "Mission Impossible"; as has been said there are just too many to choose from. Can't disagree with (some of) the above but here are some of my favourites, in no particular order:

Best Foot Forward - Ernest Tomlinson
    The Witness - William Himes
    Praise - Wilfred Heaton
    The Warriors - Brian Bowen
    Manhattan - Erik Leidzen
    Tylney Hall - Dean Goffin
    Long Point - Norman Bearcroft

OK..............I'll stop now.
  20. ju33les

ju33les Member

I like "The Jaguar" - by Goff Richards
    ....cos you can dance to that one too......:-D