Best mutes for a flugel horn

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Catherine81, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Catherine81

Catherine81 New Member

Hi all

The title of this thread is self explanatory really. I have taken time out of regular at home practicing and am hoping to get back into it, but am not confident enough to practice without a mute and am looking for recommendations regarding a mute.

I am debating either a Humes and Berg practice or cup mute, what are your thoughts?

Many thanks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi allThe
    Berg
    Humes
    cup mute
    flugel horn Hi allThe title
  3. John_D

John_D Member

If it's purely a practice mute you are after I would recommend a Bremmer Sshhmute.

4. oleredeye

oleredeye New Member

Agree that the Bremmer sssshhhh practice mute is excellent - amazing sound attenuation, and fairly good intonation.

Can't comment on the Humes and Berg cup mute - but the McLean cup mute is first-rate. Good intonation, and a very authentic cup-mute sound.... but not cheap.

The Wick aluminium straight mute is so-so. The Jo-Ral copper-bottomed bubble mute is fun for jazz - but rather difficult to keep in tune, and not really suitable for Band work.

One might ask why you want to mute such a beautiful instrument as a flugel....

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Because some composers seem to think it is a good idea?

(they are wrong, we all know this)

6. rosolino

rosolino Member

A hard case!

7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Another thing with flugel mutes is "try-before-you-buy" - reason being because there is less standardisation of flugel bell size/profile than with cornets/trumpets, and not all flugel mutes will fit all makes of flugel. A specific example being, the H&B Flugel Cup is too small for the bell of a Getzen Eterna flugel - I know this because I was once forced to drink three bottles of wine in order to accumulate enough cork to carry out the modifications necessary to make it fit ...