Best flugel player?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Payn, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

There was a similar thread on 4br a while back. Not just limiting the choice to brass bands, (though there are some very fine flugel players in them!) who do you think is the tops? For me, it's the Russian Sergei Nakariakov who to my ears has taken flugel playing to another level in terms of tone and range (particularly the bottom range. His renditions of both the Tchaikovsky Variations on a Rococo Theme and Haydn Cello cConcerto are amogst those 'think I'll give up now' renditions!) All in all, he makes it sound like a horn as opposed to an extension of the trumpet family as some others do.

Any other nominations?

2. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

Think my favourite flugels at the moment would have to be Helen Fox at Fodens and John Doyle at Dyke :lol:
  3. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Im gonna have to go back a bit now.
    From 1959 to sometime in the 1970s Black Dyke's flugel player was John Clay.
    He is my ex cornet teacher, and speaking to Geoff Whittam and the like, John was one of the best Flugel players their has ever been.
    If you ever get chance to listen to old Dyke recordings you will know why.
    Plus he is a thoroughly nice chap too :D
  4. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Bobby Shew then James Morrison for me.

Personally I'm not keen on the tenor horn-ish Flugel sound of the brass bands, but then I don't claim to know anything about anything anyway!
  5. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

It's difficult to judge unless you narrow it down to actual regular flugel players.

It's like saying when Wynton Marsalis is the best cornet player in the world when I am sure in reality he plays trumpet 99% of the time. When he picks up a cornet he is clearly better than the 'cornet' players of the band world. Similarly with Mr Hardenburger on flugel, he is a amazing, mindblowing player but is by definition, a trumpeter.

In brass band terms, I would say that Iwan Williams is my favourite flugel player. Great mellow sound but still has the great technical ability (perhaps from his time as 2nd man at YBS before his move).

In the wider world - trumpeters like Wynton Marsalis, Hardenburger, Martin Winter, Maurice Murphy and Phillip Smith who all play the flugel at times all sound fantastic.

Rothwell Temps

P.S Listen to Ben Godfrey's cadenza in 'Concerto Grosso' - now there's a nice bit of playing from a cornet/trumpet/flugel allrounder!
  6. leisa

leisa Active Member

i'd say Doylie and martin winters is a pretty good flugel player!!
  7. Jordan

Jordan Member

Trev Isaac of BTM, what a guy hehehehee yippeeeeeeee

What about Iwan Williams from YBS? and hes welsh!!!!! hehehehe

I'm not patriotic, i just love my country :? hehehehehehe
  8. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

I second that! I absolutely love the tenor hornish sound (as one person put it) of the flugel, particularly of Mr Williams. YBS's CD Vitae Lux shows what a class act he is.
  9. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Flugel player with Whitburn has a great sound, very mellow.
  10. HBB

HBB Active Member

Dave Walton from YWDB ... was that a bit biased?!

Lol .. nah, he's really good, and plays lovely solos ... if just a few too many! :D

11. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Mark Walters. Iwan Williams and our flug Caroline Tennant is playing great.
  12. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

Wynton Marsalis doesn't have a nice enough tone to be a cornet player! :wink:
  13. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

Rob Foster of the ISB is a great flugel player good sound and a very stylish player

also Malcolm Hynd of Enfield Band has a lovely sound and has recorded and performed numerous solos with the band.
  14. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

What is "wrong" with his tone?
  15. McChambo

McChambo Member

Mark Walters. At the moment, Iwan Williams.

Thanks Floral Dance!
  16. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Exilled yorkshire man

Hi Jim how goes it
  17. dyl

dyl Active Member

Iwan gets my vote too! We train 'em well at Deiniolen you know! ;)
  18. Midnight

Midnight New Member

Mark Walters for me ... I played against him (and warmed up with him) in several solo contests .... needless to say he won every one ... deservedly so ...
  19. Moy

Moy Active Member

Helen Fox and Iwan Williams.
    Heard them both live and they are brilliant.
  20. Jules Cornet

Jules Cornet Member

I'm hoping 'johnflugel' himself is pretty good as he's helping us out next week!

Look forward to seeing you at the practice tomorrow John.