Best First Section Test Piece so Far From 2000-2006

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ian perks, Dec 24, 2005.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

We are half way through this decade so far.
    As a first section player which piece so far do you think as been the best and the worst to play:
    I have played them all:

Year
    2000 Music For The Common Man
    2001The Undaunted
    2002Royal Parks
    2003Passacaglia on a Theme of Brahms
    2004Coventry Variations
    2005Comedy Overture

My Best as to be Passacaglia on a theme of Brahms:woo as we qualifed on that .
    The Worst by a long long way Royal Parks:ranting2: :ranting2: :ranting2: :hammer Should NEVER HAVE BEEN PICKED

2. Steve

Steve Active Member

Wow, looking through the list of peices Ive had a decent run at the area recently.

2000 Music For The Common Man - 3rd
    2001 The Undaunted - 1st
    2002 Royal Parks - 7th (2nd section)
    2003 Passacaglia on a Theme of Brahms - 4th (2nd Section)
    2004 Coventry Variations - 2nd (2nd section)
    2005 Comedy Overture - 1st

Anyway, enough wallowing in my own glory lol. I loved Music for the common man, cant beat quiet start loads of cadenzas and a quiet ending. Especially when there is a wicked tune and plenty of black stuff to. And it got us to the Albert Hall whih may be clouding my judgement a little.

3. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

2002 Nationals piece...Leonardo by Philip Wilby.
    Though way way too hard for most of the bands, a cracking piece nonetheless.

4. HBB

HBB Active Member

I've always had a soft spot for Royal Parks! I even like the 3rd Movement!

5. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Eurgh... Passacaglia... Eurgh :icon_mad:

6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Steve all these are 1ST SECTION PIECES MATE !!!!!!

7. Steve

Steve Active Member

Ian, I know they are but couldnt be arsed to look up the pieces I played in the other sections so left them there with reference to which section i competed in in the brackets. In all fairness the first 90% of my post had little to do with your original question and was merely a chance to bathe in my own self glory and spread news of my recent area contest successes to the entire tMp world in a vain effort of looking cool / great / sucessful / remarkably lucky.

Music For The Common Man is still my prefered piece from the ones I competed on (in the 1st section) though.

8. jonford

jonford Member

Played quite a few of those in the first section, but not all of them. For me Coventry Variations is my favourite, really enyoyed working on that piece.

For me Passacaglia was my least favourite, I like some of Butterworth's other works but this one for me was a bit dull, but maybe it was just my part!

9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I haven't played them all, but I do know them fairly well from recordings. For me Coventry Variations stands out - I thought it was great to work on, good to listen to and about the right level of difficulty for the section.

Passacaglia was an odd one, I thought it never really went anywhere so it didn't really inspire me that much (plus the flugel part was quite easy apart froma couple of nasty runs at the end of it). As for Royal Parks, it's two-thirds a good piece. The last movement is (im)famous for being disappointing but there is some real quality in the writing in the second movement - if played properly the end of that movement is awesome.

10. JR

JR Member

...just listen to Dyke on the 1985 recording with the major - even the last movt sounds great

john r

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    First Section Test Piece
    way
    piece
    Music
    Parks2003Passacaglia
  12. jim

jim Member

aspecially the middle movemnet wat a band sound thats how a band should sound so big gets the hairs raised!!

13. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

CONVENTRY wins every time!!

was just an ace piece, very tricky and lovely middle movement, loads for all the soloists, and band parts and percussion tooo.

Wasnt that keen on passagalia, the sop part was a monster!

14. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Coventry Variations has to be mine.

First 1st Section test piece the band played after promotion to the 1st Section. Won the contest and best principle cornet player. Compared to Comedy (which the band also won on), it was class.

But I really enjoyed King of Elflands Daughter, 1st Section National Finals test piece in 2004.

15. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

It has to be Music For The Common Man as far as I'm concerned, with Coventry Variations second.

16. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

Yeah King of Elflands Daugter was an ace piece!
    Hope it will get used a lot more, and not forgotten about, like many of the new pieces, these days. Very descriptive, atmospheric and great to play

17. the fish

the fish Member

Got to be Coventry Variations, really enjoyed working on those bass runs towards the end a challenge indeed!

18. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Couple of good pieces at Butlins in the 1st section recently, Rhapsody in Brass and Ballet for Band and two cracking pieces in my book.

19. bandcampgal

bandcampgal Member

Coventry wuz good, we stood up 4 tune at end!
    Agree with King of Elflands also, seeing as i wuz the best 1st horn echoist on it! i went up 2 Rodney Newton wen i wuz drunk at finals, told him dint like his piece at 1st but it grew on me, and thanks 4 the 1st horn solos! think he appreciated the masked compliment!

20. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Oh Dear! And I thought that was me! Haha

On a serious note, I did notice that a lot of Flugal players covered the 1st Horn part at the finals, didn't you? Didn't think it was a difficult part to play.

21. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Here's an extended list to choose from:

Nationals
    2005 - Pageantry, Herbet Howells, 2004 - The King of Elfland's Daughter, Rodney Newton, 2003 - Kensington Concerto, Eric Ball, 2002 - Leonardo, Philip Wilby, 2001 - Fantasy for Brass Band, Malcolm Whitham

Areas
    2005 - Comedy Overture, 2004 - Coventry Variations, 2003 - Passacaglia on a Theme of Brahms, 2002 - Royal Parks, 2001 - The Undaunted, 2000 - Music For The Common Man

Pontins
    2005 - Lorenzo – Thomas Keighley, 2004 - A London Overture, Philip Sparke, 2003 - Resurgam, Eric Ball, 2003 - Overture The Sicilian Vespers, Verdi arr. Bram Gay, 2001 - Purcell Variations, K. Downie
    Butlins

2005 - Ballet for Band, Joseph Horovitz, 2003 - Rhapsody In Brass, Dean Goffin

I'd probably rank them
    1. King of Elfland
    2. Pagentry
    3. Comedy Overture
    4. London Overture
    5. Ballet for Band

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    First Section Test Piece
    way
    piece
    Music