Best Ever (Or Favourite) Last Note

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Australian Euphonium, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Probably been done before but what the heck!

:D :D I rate Revelation or The Kingdom Triumphant :D :D
  2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Don't know about all time favourite last note but a few of my top 'endings'

Montage - Peter Graham

Pictures at an Exhibition - Great Gate of Kiev - Mussorgsky/Howarth (PJBE recording)

Checkmate - Bliss/Ball

Just As I Am arr. Wilfred Heaton (leaving three front row cornets, pianissimo on that F major chord is!)
  3. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

2nd Movement 'Threnody' to Darrol Barry's A Salford Sinfonitta. Well actually the best notes are the few chords preceding the very last note. A very evocative harmonic structure.
  4. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

End of (4th movement) of Brahms 4th symphony. Not brass band, obviously.

What about most disappointing endings? Tristan Encounters.

5. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I know its not brass bandy, but the ending of Sibelius' 5th is pretty quality.

In brass band terms my fav would be Pictures at an Exhibition.
  6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

If we're talking original bb music, then for me it has to be Blitz 8)
    Absolute worst ever last note, imo, is Tristan - what an anticlimax!
  7. Valvecap

Valvecap Member

Paganinni's got to be up there somewhere...
  8. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Pageantry, Pines of Rome, Epic Symphony

Best one of all though is Barber's Agnus Dei..
  9. Valvecap

Valvecap Member

agree with pines of rome. Shame this aint including first notes too - Devil and the deep blue sea might feature a bit more than it will in this one...
  10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

How about the 2nd movement of Holst's Moorside Suite? That massive pp texture is an undeservedly neglected effect, and it is placed in its perfect context there.

11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Yup, didn't think of that one! Good choice!
  12. tim

tim Member

resurgam is the most reflective ending and revelations the most impressive
  13. Andy Stevens

Andy Stevens New Member

Best note ever? It's got to be the sublime trumpet playing of the master himself, Gonzo the Great, on the last note of the Muppets Show theme.

Worst note ever? Probably the same one, when I had to play it. All I had to do (aged 10) was hit a high note REALLY badly. I'd been doing that since I first picked up the instrument 2 years before, and so was quite justifiably upset when, on stage, I smacked my first ever perfect fff top C and held it straight despite my attempts to fall off it!
  14. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

Has got to be shine as the light - peter graham! Nice full sounding chord!
  15. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

Amen to that!! Although I think I have to go with the ending to his 7th - the apotheosis of C Major. ;-)

In brass band music, I think the final three bars of Journey into Freedom are fantastic - the ascending line in the bass parts, resolving on the final chord, great stuff!

How about suggestions of endings we love...because we dislike the pieces so much we can't wait for the end!! :)

16. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Last note to Contest Music by Wifred Heaton.

For the best example, listen to the version on the Complete Champions CD by Black Dyke. Awesome every time.

17. W.Rimmer

W.Rimmer Member

18. W.Rimmer

W.Rimmer Member

19. HBB

HBB Active Member

20. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Tristan - definitely an anticlimax!!!
    Best ending - what about Corpus Christi? Paganini Variations has got to be up there too!