best Eb HORN solo EVER!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by beard_4b, Sep 12, 2003.

1. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

Has to be the old rustic bridge!!! Once again published by the SA!!

any thoughts?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Eb HORN
    bit
    Welsh Theme
    EbHorny
    Helen
  3. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

BTW welcome the the 6th installment in the seies of the best EVER!!!!!!!

Next week we'll have the greatest solo EVER!!!! (even tho we all know its golden slippers!!!) :D

4. bladder

bladder Member

Old rustic bridge? I thought it was the 'old rusty gate'...(open, shut, open shut...)

:wink: :wink:

5. EbHorny

EbHorny Member

Without a doubt, it has to be, The piper o' dundee by (Kenneth Downie).

I think the only person that can play it, is Sheona!!

It's certainly the hardest solo! :evil:

6. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

I dunno I like that new horn concerto by martin elerby , the git dosent write in any key signatures, its just accidentals all over the place but its really good - a personal fav.

7. EbHorny

EbHorny Member

That must have been an accident!!?? :lol:

8. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

Many of them when I play it!
    But I do agree that the piper O Dundee is class.

9. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

I dunno about that! I dont think Mike would have too many problems with it. The SA have virtuoso horn players aplenty!!

10. EbHorny

EbHorny Member

Good on him then,

I can't wait till I can get my hands on a copy of it.

11. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

As do none SA bands. Owen Farr, Sandy Smith, Sheona White, Leslie Howie, Martin Armstrong... etc. etc.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Eb HORN
    bit
    Welsh Theme
    EbHorny
    Helen
  13. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

No horn player matches owen. He's the only person who can bring the Ellerby off (as Ellerby himself said) which is the hardest tenor horn piece there is out there... but my personal favourite is Masquerade by Phil Sparke

14. asteria

asteria Member

The slow movement from the Ellerby Horn Concerto is a top slow piece, it's lush!

Piper O' Dundee is fab, altho it's not the hardest piece i've ever come across (try the rest of the Ellerby! :shock: ).

Also worth a mention - Lark in the Clear Air (always a classic) and Allegro from the Mendelsohn violin concerto, very hard to get all the notes in the right place and still sound classy.

And Goodbye to Love, the long unpublished version, my current favourite. It's got the complete guitar riff written in the middle, sounds quality when it's played right! :D

15. asteria

asteria Member

Ooh, knew i'd forgotten one, which is a bit stupid seen as i only photocopied the thing half an hour ago!!

And as for Owen playing the Ellerby, phenomenal doesn't even come close to describing it!!

16. EbHorny

EbHorny Member

The Allegro is fantastic, but very hard, Rushworth made a good job of it on his CD.

Theres another slow melody solo, called Welsh Dances or something like that. It's quite good too.

17. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Did an extended version with Owen playing on a Faireys CD last November and it was fab! Still isn't out though. Polyphonic appear to be dragging their feet over it :evil:

18. leisa

leisa Active Member

Sheona's top!!! and owen!

i like Demelza and Piper 'o Dundee adn A Time for Peace!!!!

19. asteria

asteria Member

Not sure if you mean Variations on a Welsh Theme? The slow bit in that is quite nice, but it's one of those pieces that's been done to death!

Aye i know, i've been waiting for ages to hear it! As far as i know there aren't any existing recordings of the extended version yet, hope they hurry up! :roll:

20. EbHorny

EbHorny Member

Thats the one Helen, it's surely not been done as much as Demelza though??

What about Cornicopia?

21. Heheh, you want to ask Bob Childs which of the two is more popular for NYBBW auditions.....

22. EbHorny

EbHorny Member

Ha Ha, well thats fair enough.