Best Cornet Player

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GingerMaestro, Mar 14, 2006.

1. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Ok we have had the best Tuba or Bass Player
    How about cornet player.

For me in modern times it would have to be a tie between Alan Morrison and Roger Webster but past time players I would have to say Maurice Murphy or James Shepherd

If I had to pick just one then Alan Morrison gets my vote

Local players I would have to go with Chris Howley Polysteel

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  2. chizzum

chizzum Member

I dont know about the best now but in his prime iain porthouse was the best in his league!:clap:

3. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Nationally
    Past players - James Shepherd without a doubt
    Present players - Roger Webster has seen off all challengers in my opinion!

Locally (Gloucestershire)
    Past players - Kevin Robbins
    Present players - Chris Howley
    Future players- young Samuel Pierce (watch this space he is only 11 but awesome!)

4. chizzum

chizzum Member

If Samuel Pierce is that good get him in National Childrens Brass bAnd!!!!!!

5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Seconded. The daddy :clap:

6. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Current/Future players:

Philip Cobb!

We've got a young chap by the name of Stuart Schoolboy- you heard his name first here ok!! ;-)

7. GJacko

GJacko Member

Sorry guy's, it's got to be David Dawes.

Heard him play at the Eric Ball concert in Nottingham when he stepped in for Roger Webster. To say he was awesome was an understatement. If you don't believe me, get the DVD.

I went to a local Sally Army concert shortly afterwards, where he was guest for a retirement concert. I think he played six or seven solo's, all without music and without any errors.

He's my pick.

8. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Sam is already in the National Children's Orchestra on trumpet so will probably stick with that for now and go for NYBBGB when he is old enough if he still wants to.

9. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Past: James Shepard
    Present: Richard Marshall
    Future: Phil Cobb, Tom Hutchinson

10. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

Phil Cobb. A pleasure to hear him play every wednesday. He is everything you want from a cornet player. Pleasent bright sound or a dark tone depending on the piece, a technique to die for. he virtually sight read St Magnus note perfect. Its wrong but i like it!

Close the thread this ones wrapped up!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Tuba
    Bass PlayerHow
    Alan Morrison
    Roger Webster
    Maurice Murphy
  12. Steve

Steve Active Member

ISBBb2.....no mention of Mr Daws?

13. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Martin Winter.

14. GJacko

GJacko Member

Take a look at my earlier post Steve.

15. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

Being the good TMPer that I am im sticking to the rules of the thread! Phil is my single cornet player that I think is the works at the moment.

But as you've intised me...

Yes Im more than aware of what David is capable and he raised the bench mark of cornet playing to a virtually unreachable height when in the ISB. But ladies and gentlemen of the brass banding world, in Phill not only has he reached and sat on the bar, hes now taking it to a scary new world! believe me when i say he is THE best cornet player around. Watch this space!
    all this despite spilling his cola at the recording (doh sorry mate i said id keep quiet about that)! ;)

Nick izod likes this.
  16. Steve

Steve Active Member

No, I ignore them Graham.

Actually, I just completely missed it. What appauling Moderating, admitting to missing a post :(

17. GJacko

GJacko Member

Nice one Steve

:clap: :oops: x 6

EDIT: excessive use of smilies. Just making up for my previous lapse really!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2006
  18. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

David Dawes has the most incredible cornet sound I have ever heard, and I have heard that a Dr Roger Webster is a pretty good player ;-) I on occasion hear David King playing while I'm at uni, and what a player!

My housemate and fellow Scotsman Iain Culross has an incredible sound and is an exceptional technical player - those of you that heard him playing at the Yorkshire Area or the BBC radio competition will agree.

19. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

yep David Dawes for me too........... apart from............. well no David dawes really fantastic I hear him at the Eric Ball gig and he is simply the best cornet player I have ever heard!! and i do have the DVD!!

20. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

David Daws and Richard Marshall wipe the floor with anyone who is out there at the moment IMHO. David edges it on tone for me, but technically I think they're inseperable and in a league of their own. With all due respect to guys like Morrison and Webster- and they're class acts- I personally don't think they come close. I think David and Richard are the most consistent live performers too. If I had to bet my life on a cornet player pulling off a tough solo under pressure without so much as a tiny split, I'd put it on David Daws (that's Daws without an 'e' ;) )

The lip flexibility of David is obscene. It's no wonder that no one else really dares touch Golden Slippers (except Brett Baker, and to be honest that didn't really work out too well!).

21. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

I heard Dyke twice during the 70's. Second time, Phil McCann played top man flawlessly, but like a diamond - no warmth...

First time, Jim Shepherd was not only flawless, but warm - best cornet player I've ever heard in concert.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Tuba
    Bass PlayerHow
    Alan Morrison
    Roger Webster
    Maurice Murphy