Best contest recording ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jacob Larsen, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

I always go for the CD with live recordings from contests... How about you ? What is the BEST live contest recording ever ?

Here´s my top 5....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Extreme Make Over - Black Dyke (Europeans 2005)
    2. St. Magnus - YBS (Europeans 2004)
    3. Blitz - YBS (Europeans 1998)
    4. Contest Music - YBS (All England Master 2000 or 2001)
    5. Cambridge Variations - Williams Fairey (Europeans 1995)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Extreme Make Over - Black Dyke
    YBS
    All England
    Williams Fairey
    Cambridge
  3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I'd have to go through my CD collection, but I'd certainly add Fairey's The Devil and The Deep Blue Sea to the list! (1993 or something like that, from the "Double Champions" CD)

4. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

1.Year of the Dragon...Fodens Europeans... 199?
    2. Albion...Black Dyke... Nationals... 2001
    3. Contest Music.. Cory..Nationals 1982
    4. Journey into Freedom..Whitburn.. Europeans...1981 (Cracking performance...how did they not win?)
    5.Carnival....Briggus..Nationals 1980/1?

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'll have to think about this one, but two I would have to include are BAYV with "St Magnus" at the 2004 Europeans (even though the adjudicators didn't think so!) and Eikanger at the Europeans in Birmingham on "Concerto Grosso".

6. weenie

weenie Member

Sorry, but you will not find a better balanced live recording of a winning performance than Fairey's 'Devil And The Deep Blue Sea' from Double Champions. it was a case of the right players in the right band at the right time.

7. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

YES .. You are absolutely right.. Totally forgot about that one... :)

8. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

1. St Magnus- YBS Europeans 2004
    2. Music of the Spheres- YBS Europeans 2004
    3. Blitz- YBS Europeans 1998
    4. The Night to Sing- Dyke Open 2005
    5. Extreme Makeover- Dyke Europeans 2005

The top three are all practically faultless, playing of the highest musicianship and calibre.
    And 4 & 5 are just two favourites of mine, not just for some great playing but because both pieces just seem to strike a chord with me. :)

(I think one to add soon may well be Fodens performance from The Lowry, no doubt we'll see in September)

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

How can anybody not include Britannia's 'The Year Of The Dragon' from the 1992 Europeans? Great performance. I personally would add Sun Life's performance of 'Stonehenge' (Jan Van der Roost) from Kerkrade in 1993. If you haven't heard this one, I would recommend that you should! Quality that has not faded over the years.

10. euphoria

euphoria Member

1. Foden 1992 European. Year of the dragon. I was fortunate to be there in Cardiff that day. Nick Hudson played reasonably well in the second movement ;-)

2. Foden 1991 Masters. Harmony music. What a band - I still smile each time I hear Nick Childs just hold that high E a touch longer in the quasi cadenza. Great team of soloists and fantastic ensemble.

3. Fairey - Nationals 2002. Masquerade. The first time I really understood what all the fuss was about when it came to this piece. Great ensemble and Morgan Griffiths made easy work of the dreaded cadenza.

4. Grimethorpe - Nationals 1992. New Jerusalem. Even without all the drama concerning the pit closure this was an epic performance from the start. Alan Morrison (I think?) played the off-stage cornet solo as if his life depended on it.

5. Desford - European 1988. An epic symphony. They didn't win that competition (Eikanger did), but few contest performances gives me more satisfaction than this from a band that totally ruled the banding world for half a decade.

There are of cource many more great contest performances. I really love the Extreme makeover with Dyke and the Concerto grossos of Eikanger and YBS, but my pick right now would have to be the 5 above.

11. andyp

andyp Active Member

To "Devil and the Deep Blue Sea", "Year of the Dragon" and "Blitz" as already mentioned I'd add Fairey's "Masquerade" from the Europeans (1990/1?), when they got 99 points from 100. The last 4 minutes are incredible.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Extreme Make Over - Black Dyke
    YBS
    All England
    Williams Fairey
    Cambridge
  13. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

I agree with this althou you surprise me Weenie. I thought that you may have a had a copy of your band's performance of Tallis Variations at the Grand Shield which you might have put up there;)

Igg

14. dickyg

dickyg Member

Devil and the Deep Blue Sea probably gets my vote too but I'm sure I have a terrific recording somewhere of Dyke under Dave King playing Essence of Time at the Europeans that is pretty special. (must be early 1990's)

15. weenie

weenie Member

Of course brassneck, how could i forget Stonehenge. What a cracking performance that was. It just goes to show what a superb band Sun Life were!!

16. weenie

weenie Member

Thanks Igg...........i must admit, i really did enjoy our performance of that, but the recording is awful, so therefore i couldn't possibly include it in this list! ;-)

17. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

It seems like the early nineties was an awesome period for brass band contesting!
    I heard a lot about the BBS performance of YotD, but never heard a recording of it. The studio version on the CD from around that time is awesome as well!

From the Belgian Nationals, the one performance everyone keeps talking about is also from YotD, by Brass Band Willebroek (with Walter Hoeks playing the trom solo). It must have been 5 or 6 years ago. Sadly enough, I wasn't there that day and as far as I know, no recordings were made

18. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

Harmony Music and Odin - Desford at the nationals in the late 80's.

Brittania's Year of the Dragon is something special as well.

But top of the list is Grimey playing New Jerusalem. If you do not own this performance, get it!!!

19. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Eikanger Concerto No1 - Norway Nationals 2004 I think ,was never a fan of the piece ( war march of the ostriches and mr boult on his bike..whats that all about) but the performance is awesome , jaw droppingly clean , exciting and at the end the crowd go wild.....
    Diversions - 1989 Open Kennedy Swinton - the first open I went too got the recording from LTTB , 2nd movement has a mad soprano part played brilliantly by Kev Donaldson ( I think) well directed and a brilliant recording
    Le Roi D'ys - Sun Life 1990 Open - Lyndon Baglin on form , awesome playing.
    Harmony Music - desford 87 brilliant recording , massive performance.

20. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

Oh, and YBS playing Les Preludes at the Open in 2001. Dont know if this has officially been released on CD or not though??

21. hornyas

hornyas Member

My two top contest recordings are Desford performing Seascapes in 1988 and Odin in 1989 (both National finals). I'd be interested to hear what other people think of these performances.

Rob

22. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

No I don't think they are comercially available , there are "bootleg" recordings around,
    I remember seeing one with 1997( 8 ) open - whitsun wakes , tallis ( 2000 Euro) , 2001 open , 2002 area , 2004 area all performances from YBS...Really interesting listening :D

Seascapes is a brilliant recording , don't know why the piece has never been used since in a major competition. quite rare to find a recording of the 1989 Odin , tried to get a copy a couple of years ago through TMP , I ended up with a BBC festival recording from Arthur Butterworth from the early 1990's.