BEST CONDUCTOR

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by johnflugel, Oct 24, 2003.

1. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

There have been a series of various 'BEST EVERS', here is my contribution:

Who's your favourite conductor?

I can think of many famous names: Harry Mortimer, Eric Ball, Peter Parkes, Nick Childs, Howard Snell, William Rimmer, Bram Tovey (I have missed some big names I am sure, but you get the picture!)

My personal favourite is David king, reasons: He thinks way way way past what you see on the page and what sounds pretty or technically accomplished. To watch him in rehearsal, you know he is a guy who sees the bigger picture of a score. He conducting leaves you in no doubt what he requires and has that competitive edge to make everything as good as it can be. He works bands like a choral group, basing everything on blend of sound, quality of sound, balance, shapes etc. Great stuff!

John
    Rothwell Temps

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    series
    conductor
    everything
    favourite
    picture
  3. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

I can remember the days when the conductors came up and down the bus shouting 'tickets please'.

On a more sensible note, Ivor Bosanko is the best conductor that I have ever played under. He had (and still has) the gift of drawing performances and interpretations out of bands which considering the players should be beyond their capabilities.

In his younger days, however if something upset him, for example a wrong entry in Treasures of Tchaik. or Call of the Righteous, the last sections could well be fast and frantic but really exciting: seat of the pants playing.

4. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

I think we've all played under conductors like that...I know I have! Think the trombones and cornets would appreciate a quick finish to COTR more than the basses though.... :lol:

I have to agree that David King is the best, certainly of current conductors, for all the reasons John has mentioned. He combines technical efficiency with top-notch musical insight, and always demands the best from his players. But there are a lot of other excellent conductors around as well, the banding world seems very well-blessed in that department. The days of conductors taking three, four or even more bands at the same contest are well and truly over!

Dave

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I've played under many conductors over the past four years...
    and the best so far as to be these... since coming to the North-West:
    David King
    Garry Cutt
    Roy Newsome
    Mike Fowles

:wink: 8)

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I haven't got much experience, but playing under Chris Jeans he is an excellent youth band conductor. He is always finding new and interesting ideas which help to keep the players interested from the youngest through to the oldest. He also gets excellent performances out of people.

7. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

The very best Conductor, and the finest man I ever played under was Trevor Walmsley with Yorkshire Imps 1965 to 1971 - 2 British Open victories,(2x1sts, 1x2nd a 4th and a 5th (Not in that order), Yorkshire Area Champions and a no win place at the RAH in 1970.
    5 Firsts and 2 seconds at Whit Friday 1970 (There were only 8 Contests and we did 7)
    We also won Selection , March, and Hymn Tune at the Edinburgh Festival in 1966 against ferocious opposition.
    In all those years I never heard him raise his voice in the Bandroom.
    He had such a great personality that we all just wanted to play for him - he was a true gentleman.
    During a spell at B&R I was very impressed with "The Wee Professor" - Walter Hargreaves - a really Charismatic man who knew how to drag out the best from a band.
    Another period of time I spent at Dyke convinced me of the qualities of Geoffrey Brand who could always produce a fine interpretation.
    But those who stimulated my childhood ambitions were :-
    Tom Atkinson, Arthur Atkinson, Peter Kitson and Andrew Owenson - all true servants of the movement.

8. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

My vote is for Nick Childs. I played in the first band he conducted which was Rochdale Band and then I joined YBS where he was resident conductor. Since then he has been conducting Scottish Co-op several times and I think he is excellent. As a conductor he has developed so very much. He prepares meticulously before, during and after rehearsals. He seems to be able read players well and knows how to bring the best out of each one, even though this will involve different approaches for each individual. His reading of music makes absolute sense and he makes us want to play for him.

Other great conductors are Bram Tovey, James Scott, Professor King of course, Phillip McCann also is very musical and also his preparation is excellent, he also relates very well to an audience in concert situations.

9. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

David King has my vote always ahead of the game! Sets the moderb standard!

I've have two older mambers of the band who say Harry Mortimer was the worst conductor they've ever played under!!!!! I probably come second to him!

10. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Richard Evans is my choice

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Most of my playing experience has been with SA bands and with SA conductors, although going back to my time in the guards, I would have to rate Trevor Sharpe as being one of the clearest conductors I have ever played under - strangely enough, we never rated Peter Parkes, although he has achieved great results in the brass band world!

I think the best conductor I have played under in a brass band would have to be the late Les Condon - a great encourager, and able to bring out the best from a band, where the whole was greater than the sum of the parts, if you know what I mean. Robert Redhead was also excellent at the one SA music school I attended. We also had a very good master-class at Hadleigh with Dudley Bright, of Ilford SA and the LSO.

As for conductors I have watched on stage, I always find David King, Howard Snell, James Watson and Bob Childs quite charismatic - makes it all the more disappointing that David King doesn't conduct YBS more frequently in their concert performances, as he always seems to add another dimension -although I have never found them less than first class.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    series
    conductor
    everything
    favourite
    picture
  13. Steve

Steve Active Member

I had the pleasure of working with MAJOR PETER PARKES for the Masters and the Open this year and have never known anything quite like it. The second he walks into the room he has the respect of every wo/man around him, his voice is mesmerising, he has more music in his little toe than anyone I have ever met and you go on stage thinking "do exactly what he says and we've won it". Would have loved to play under him in his Dyke days!!!! He is the master!!!! I havent worked with him but DAVID KING's record speaks for itself, he is a brass band great and always has something extra up his sleeve. CHRIS JEANS is someone I have played under for years and is by far the most inovative conductor you will ever meet. He is imho truly under-rated as a conductor (probably cos he is too damn good at the trombone!!) and the day someone lets him loose with a top band then the brass movement better be prepared. Others would have to be NICK CHILDS oure class), RICHARD EVANS (complete excentric and MR brass band) and................JOHN BERRYMAN!!!!!

14. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

I might be wrong, but I'm sure when David King first took them over, he conducted more concerts than he does now.
    Anyway, getting back on topic, i also think David King is the best around at the moment. I think he brings that extra something to his performances, giving them a lot more space than a lot more conductors around. There are other good conductors around too, Allan Withington and Stephen Cobb being two.

15. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

I can't believe that no ones mentioned James Gourlay. Brill player even better Conductor :grnsm :wow

16. leisa

leisa Active Member

Nick childs and Dave King

17. NAS

NAS Member

For me it has to be Garry Cutt... What a guy! Always brings the best out of bands. I think Russell Gray is good too.

18. McChambo

McChambo Member

David King gets my vote. Also very impressed with Phillip McCann (when he wasn't bawling at me) and Bryan Hurdley.

I also remember when the Rothwell (Leeds) Band (before merging with Imps) had an Albanian conductor for a few rehearsals. :lol:

19. Richard Dyson

Richard Dyson Member

No contest in it for me - two people stand head and shoulders above the rest but neither has been overly successful at the major contests.

Elgar Howarth is the most amazing conductor you will ever see! His control of the band is fantastic and he can make you play a certain way just by him looking at you. The other close second is Howard Snell - he is another genius at putting across everything he wants without saying a word. I think the ability to communicate with a baton is what makes a great conductor and these two gentleman are by far the best I have seen.

Richard Dyson
    Whitburn Band

20. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I have played under a few good conductors, Trevor Sharpe, Melvyn white, John Berryman, Garry Cutt etc, but the best conductor I have played under imho is Ian McElligot. The conductor I most enjoy watching though is without a doubt Bram Tovey.
    I have learned so much from just seeing him conduct, I wonder how much I would benefit from a lesson/masterclass with him.

21. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I learn a lot from watching too- I think that's the best way of learning tbh... I just ask these people for advise and techniques and hints, and then do what I feel suits me...
    Would love Masterclasses from a few of the top conductors in the BBW :D

22. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

call me biased because im in the army, but my vote is with steve cobb