Best Christmas band piece

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Soon to be principal, Dec 11, 2003.

1. What is the best Christmas band piece ever written. Being an SA man I would say there haven't been many good ones in the SA but one which particularly stands out is Gaudete by Kevin Norbury. Excellent piece! :D I also like Troika.
  2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I like Gaudete but the one by Rodney Newton. As for a favourite? I'll go for Gordon Langford's Christmas Fantasy for band and choir.
  3. leisa

leisa Active Member

i like gaudete we just started it at ssbb
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

For a well-crafted Christmas piece, if somewhat traditional, I think Morley Calvert's "The Festive Season" takes some beating, and the movements will hold their own as separate items if required.
  5. leisa

leisa Active Member

oOoOoO the snowman!!! i love christmas music
  6. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Lol! I think some Xmas music can get very repetitive though, as long as we don't play the same tosh each year then I don't mind.
  7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

As as well as the ones already mentioned, I like
    Midnight SleighRide aaaaand Russian Christmas Music

8. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

That should be pretty good with your army of bass players sat near the front!
  9. asteria

asteria Member

Santaclaustraphobia every time! Just cos it's funny to see the back row cornets stand up and struggle through that muted bit!!
  10. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I agree Peter. We have just played it in a couple of Concerts with Cottingham and it was a really lovely piece, 3 different movements that went down very well with band and audience alike.

Also has been mentioned is Gaudete...i have to admit to prefering the Rodney Newton version.

I also like Peter Graham's Spirit of Chritmas...which basically rips off all his other pieces and creates a christmas piece...right in the middle of hear Northern Landscapes...the beginning is shine as the light...etc
    Still a great piece though :D

11. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Gaudete... the Norbury version rocks!
    I love the Leroy Anderson Christmas Festival too
  12. Not to forget classics as Christmas Song (Phillip Sparke arr.), Christmas Piece and Away in a Manger (Graham arr.)
  13. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

It's a fine piece - beautiful 2nd movement. Which wonderfully educated forward thinking MD chose that one then Chris? :wink:

Rothwell temps
  14. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

oh just some guy that kept popping down the bandroom John :wink:

He seemed a decent bloke... :D
  15. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

i know it's total cheese, but Christmas Swingalong.

You can't beat it...

Troika is good, if the band can play it, but me no like the Spirit of Christmas. It's hard euph part at the beginning, and it's all different to Shine as the Light!
  16. Frosty the Snowman (bass trom solo)
    always goes down well :p

17. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Snow waltz :p That is brilliant!! I'm OK until it gets to the bit where you have to sway, then I start to giggle. I don't think I played any of it once we got past that point!!! :lol: :D Oh, and last christmas! :p
  18. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Lol, I hate swaying Euph's are too big to sway with! But causes much amusement to the rest of the band when we attempt :lol:
  19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If we basses can sway, then I don't see why you can't do the same with those pint-sized bugles of yours :wink: :lol: :lol:
  20. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I agree!!!!!!