Best Brass Banding Event in the UK

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Apr 21, 2004.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

My wife and I are moving to NW London for a year and I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for the best brass band events to go to. This would include not only the quality of the performances, but the quality of the party to go along with it. We have already been to Nationals and the Open, as well as the Royal Northern College of Music Brass Festival. All good times :) Any Suggestions what to plan for the coming year?

2. impycornet

impycornet Member

Whit Friday !!
    :lol:

3. Despot

Despot Member

THe Spennymoor contest in November(?)!

Great day's entertainment! :D

4. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

pontins! :twisted:

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

When are you coming over with your wife BBCbariUSA, if you can make it we are having a tMP event at what's called the Whit Friday marches. Great fun will be had by all and there's sure to be a huge party following this... and you'll get to meet plenty of tMP'ers as well. :lol:

6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

We're coming around in August but will plan on Whit Friday 2005!!

Tameside or Saddleworth?

Also, what is the atmosphere like at these entertainment contests? I've never been to one.

7. Saddleworth most definitely!!! HAS to be!!! Much better atmosphere!

Entertainment contests.... I think they're great!! They're loads of fun! And have a really good atmosphere in general.

Some good contests in the UK.... there are so many to chose from! I wouldn't recomend pontins unless you plan on staying the whole weekend and can hack some heavy drinking!!!! :guiness Spennymoore is a good entertainment contest which has been mentioned. A personal favourite of mine is Hardraw Scar - providing the weather is good, it can be a really nice day out!!

8. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

lol i was gonna say that too!!!

9. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

If your looking for a band to play with, we're just North of Heathrow very friendly, plug plug, and we do the Whits (at least we are this year anyway!).

plug plug... (sorry mods) :D

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Although I've never managed to get along myself, I understand the Pershore Festival of Brass is worth attending - not a competition, but various bands in a number of venues during the day. Not sure of the date, though.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Best Brass Banding Event
    anybody
    brass band events
    UK
    wife
  12. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

PONTINS for ever.
    Not so much for the quality of performance, as this is understandably affected by the quality of the party, which is far superior to any other event in the banding/world calendar.
    Give me Pontins over Glastonbury ANY day.

13. jambo

jambo Member

After last years contest i'd have to say get yourself to Butlins (Mineworkers) contest. For me it was better than Pontins last year, same crack just better place.
    Cambridge is also a class day but, not sure its the same now that the Red Cow has changed to some poncey wine bar type thing.

14. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

For a good laugh I would recommend either Pontins or the Mineworker's at Butlins, both events were great year both from a playing and partying point of view. Butlins also has alternative entertainment for those who don't have the desire to get absolutely paralytic, not that I used it......

For a great day out, Whit Friday as already mentioned, or for a deeper insight into the politics/history of brass bands, Durham Miner's Gala in July is always a good experience and while all the (ex) miners have their rally on the field, virtually every bands(wo)man in the North East of England can be found in/outside one pub! 8)

15. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Regent Hall Brass Arts Festival on the Thursday evening and all day Friday prior to the National Championships.
    2004 dates are 14th & 15th October.

Brass in the Park, Newtongrange, Scotland on 27th - 29th August 2004.

16. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

I would have to echo World of Brass and say the Regent Hall Brass Arts Festival and the Nationals. Great atmosphere, hall, bands etc.

17. snapey

snapey New Member

Pershore is a great day out. Bands from all sections playing all day in various venues across the town. Its on 3rd July this year (a bit late for you).

18. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

. . . pontins :lol:

19. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

But there's always next year, and it is a great day out. You're right Peter, its not a contest, simply bands playing at varying venues (usually a marquee and the local Abbey :D )

Good to see you on here Snapey :D Hows things at Stourport?

20. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

dont think u saw the best parts of pontins last year!
    were you there for the night time partying???

oooooo memories of a rather loud drunken self!

21. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Whit friday without a shadow of a doubt.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Best Brass Banding Event
    anybody
    brass band events
    UK
    wife