Best Bass Trombone Player!!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DannyKeller, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Brassbones

Brassbones Member

Thanks mate. Nice to mentioned in such esteemed drinking company as that! Its a pity our ships crossed in the night as regards playing at Faireys, after all there's a massive KFC just outside the bandroom door! We would both be 30 stone by now! :O)

2. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Derek Roebuck G Trom ex B & R.Jim Cant,Alf Morton and Joe Moores.The old recordings don t lie !

3. yatia

yatia New Member

Ahh, that takes me back to our Besses days, a few pints at the Hare and Hounds in Lowton (couldn't drink the ale at Besses club!) then off to Warrington for late night KFC. Happy, happy days!

4. Moy

Moy Active Member

Don't know about just now but for the future -
    Go Kirsty Go!!!!!:clap:

5. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

LOL! If you want "Twinkle, Twinkle" I'm your girl ;).

Also I've been listening to Ben van Dijk's soundbites on his site and I think he has a lovely sound, have ordered one of his CDs. Something to aim for is always good.

6. GMR

GMR New Member

Cédric Vergères from Treize Etoiles! A Terrific Bass Trombone. The best one for me! Just listen to Beyond the Horizon (European 2007), you'll understand...

7. philram

philram Member

Terry Tricker.....Jones & crossland
    Gav Sever...... Ashton (retired)

Legends!

8. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

I can't believe this thread is still going . . . :roll:

9. Hove Edge

Hove Edge Member

Its got to be Gaz Sykes of Grimethorpe.....oh what power

10. valveman

valveman New Member

Have to say without shadow of a doubt, the best bass trom around at the moment and i think for some years to come is Simon Minshall from Fodens. I have watched him develop over the past few years and he has turned into one of the finest players around. He can play all aspects and styles of music carrying his sound through all and has nerves of steel!!

Another Frosty perhaps.........................?????

11. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I'll let you know... He's doing a recital at RWCMD in a few weeks time!

12. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

mms://straumod.nrk.no/disk02/NRK_Hordaland/2009-02-07/NM_i_brass_2009_Festkonsert_1000_460810_20090207_202500.wmv
    if you skip to around 13mins he opens the gala concert.

file is only hosted for a few weeks though I think

edit: for some reason it doesnt like showing the link without a random space.. so delete the extra space between the 2 and 0 so the last bit reads _202500.wmv

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  13. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Thats excellent buddy. Great playing. What was the piece called?

14. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

called Hercab and it's one of Reid Gilje's arrangements, not sure of the composer.
    Just googled 'hercab music' and got some article about Amy Winehouse not having enough money to pay her cab fare.... wonderful thing the internet.

15. Valve pusher

Valve pusher New Member

I went to the Northwest area last weekend and sat right in front of the trombone sections for all but one performance in the second section and have to say I was totally in awe of the bass trombone player from Rainford band (sorry I don't know who it is):oops:. Was in a class of his own, awesome sound especially in the exposed stuff and bags of power to boot.

Champ section I'd have to go for Mark Frost or Geraint Griffiths true professionals. Having only lasted 12 months on bass in a past life I have total respect for anyone who can make the thing sound like those guys. :clap:

16. natalie styles

natalie styles New Member

Have to totally agree he is absolutly awesome!! Especially last Sunday :)

17. Ali.Syme

Ali.Syme Member

Ron Wilkins!

Primarily a jazz player in the states but he's really very diverse and an excellent teacher. He's not roped by his sponsors - a really good CD of some really amazing solo stuff came out years ago and I was blown away.

18. supersop1

supersop1 New Member

Gav vardy by far!!!!! nobody melts faces like he does!!! FACT!

19. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Yes definatly....have had both of them in my left ear (no doubt adding to my deteriorating hearing I now have to cope with) and there is more than a couple of similarities...mind you I suspected he would be the next M.F. when he was 15 and blowing Fodens Bass section away!!. The fact he has just got work with the R.P.O while in his first year at college confirms my suspicions!!!

20. casanova

casanova Member

Having being currently taught by Adrian Hirst, its got to be him!

I thought i was pretty smart :wink: but he made me look pretty **** to be honest! :biggrin:

Just the range, technique, the sound - bloke has the lot, and a damn nice chap to boot! :clap: