Best Bass Trombone Player!!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DannyKeller, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Andy Tasker

Andy Tasker Member

As a Bass Trom Player I'm gonna vote for my mate Tony who is the player mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

Tony is the current Bass Trom at B&R and a very versatile tenor player to boot. His sound and range is huge.

He is also a thoroughly nice bloke who will help anyone.

Well Done Mate

Andy

2. basebonetone

basebonetone Member

Cheers Andy - just to clarify I only joined the band in the last 6 months and cant take any credit for past players! Hope you're well mate

3. nethers

nethers Active Member

I agree, Tony is an outstanding musician and a top bloke (when you can understand what he's saying), I'm sure he learnt it all while sat next to me... :p

4. tromwinst

tromwinst Member

If we are talking about people in bands today then for me it is Garrath Beckwith hands down.

5. andylockett86

andylockett86 Member

spot on!! Gaz is the best around

6. harrydj

harrydj New Member

best bass trom?

HI,spent whit friday night with Gareth Sykes,what a sound he can pelt out,before the fish and chips,

7. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

and what a smell he can pelt out after chicken on a stick!

8. harrydj

harrydj New Member

best bass trom

Well D onna,you must have stould down wind,which was the stronger,the chiken or the bottom c, harry dj

9. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

Best bass trom

Stuart HORTON at Enfield SA Band is a wonderful player. Great sound and plenty of timber when required.

10. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Just watch those splinters! :biggrin:

11. B(r)assBone

B(r)assBone Member

I agree on Andrew Williams and the Cory Trombone Section, they also impress me most!!

Does anybody know what he is playin on? Edwards B454, 10" Yellow Brass with a Bach 1G?

12. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

Spot on. Not good enough for BT then or B&R now - not in the same league as other names in this thread.

13. Big - C

Big - C New Member

I went to watch Leyland a few weeks back and see that they have recently made a cracking signing on bass trom. Young Matthew Denney from the RNCM. Some great playing well done Matt!

14. Pyman71

Pyman71 Member

frankly I'm astounded that only Hells Bone has mentioned Lorna McDonald, she is a truly gifted bass trombonist and quite cute too :biggrin:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  15. Bass Trumpet

Nice to see this thread revived. Bass tromboning often gets neglected, but it really is a unique skill, in bands, orchestras, or elsewhere.

Reading some older posts, Lyndon Meredith gets one or two mentions. Of course, he's with the LPO now and sounds lovely. A well-deserved appointment if ever there was one.

Rob Goodhew at the BBCNOW has moved on and changed career, so there's a vacancy there now. A shame to see such a great player leave the business - I hope he's still playing, if only just for fun.

Pat Jackman was mentioned - he's now bass trombone with the Royal Opera House and loving every minute of it.

Les Lake has retired from ENO after nigh-on 40 years service. Who's going to fill his shoes?

The BBCSO appointed Rob O'Neil, as mentioned in a different thread.

So, where one player moves on, a vacancy is created, whether it's a permanent position or a chunk of the freelance pie. The tenor jobs are mostly fairly settled at the moment, but who knows what's round the corner.

So that's the orchestral gossip. Who's moved in the banding world? Why did they move? And what are they sounding like?

ps. Lorna sometimes visits this forum. I shall mention the 'cute' comment when I see her next!

16. sober_phil

sober_phil Member

Great to hear Rob O'Neil is doing well. We played in the same section in now sadly defunct Northern Junior Philharmonic Orchestra back in the late 90s. Cracking player and great bloke. Excellent news.

17. JamesFountain94

JamesFountain94 New Member

Gaz Beckwith is an incredible player from Grimey. Also Brad Turnbull from the ISB, heard him at ISB 120 and he sounded fantastic. Grew up with him conducting my local county youth band; top musician as well as a top top guy

18. Bass Trumpet

Garrath is a lovely player and a nice chap - please pass on my regards to him.

Re. Brad - wasn't he a tenor player until fairly recently?

19. JamesFountain94

JamesFountain94 New Member

Brad is originally a tenor trom studied at the acadamy i think but is now on bass trom in ISB very very nice

20. Bass Trumpet

I thought so. He's roughly the same vintage as myself, but I was at Guildhall. In those days RAM and GSMD were a bit tribal and didn't mix! A bit like bands...:biggrin: