Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rapunzella, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Rapunzella

Rapunzella New Member

Due to some off topic comments on the best cornet sound thread, I have decided to start this topic.

Who is the best baritone player, 1st and 2nd.

I nominate Robert Richardson (sadly no longer with us, Egypt calling!) and Gareth Daniel. The true dream team.

Any more for any more??
  2. Giohorn

Giohorn New Member

I would like to nominate my best mate Jim Brailsford for 1st Baritone at Ransomes, and on 2nd who has just left :( Mad Bob SSB Morton :shock:

Please come back :guiness and I'll get the beers in!

They are both great musicians and together make a team that would be fit for any band in the country!

Solo Horn, Ransomes
  3. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Bob Blackburn - YBS best there is..
    Andy Pagett - Ex Dyke
    Peter Christian - ex fodens , Dyke and Faireys
    Peter Sibeon - Point of Ayr bet you thinking who is he...I have known Pete for years , massive quality sound never puts a foot wrong on the competition stage...someone you can depend on...
    Almost forgot...TMP's very own bird!!!! and a classy player :wink:
  4. Giohorn

Giohorn New Member

Hey Pete Sibeon is an old friend of mine.... :D

We used to play in East Clywd Youth Band together, he was solo Euph then we played in Point of Ayr under Graham Jones :p

Sound player and loves a good curry :oops:

Solo Horn, Ransomes
  5. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

Got to agree about Rob, class player and top lad. Andy Pagett hasn't played with Hepworth for about a year, he plays for Rothwell Temps.

6. i love poo

i love poo New Member

i think jayne sadler from sellers is the best 2nd! yeah!
  7. McChambo

McChambo Member

Katrina Marzella (Whitburn) & Leigh Baker (B & R).
  8. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

I heard Katrina Marzella at the Europeans earlier this year and she would definately get my vote.

Alongside her I would place our own Lloyd Shipp from Travelsphere. I've never heard another Baritone player that can match his volume whilst still retaining his tone (sometimes !!!).
  9. jambo

jambo Member

Jezzoh! Lauradolls partner in crime for a time making THE Baritone team. Sadly now 'retired' to the North East :wink:
  10. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Agreed as well.

This is a very difficult thread because one doesn't often hear the baritone well enough by itself in the band (and if you can can that's often not a good thing). If you know the part well enough to know what to listen for and you know exactly whose playing it or you've sat next to them in a band then an educated decision can be made. I have heard Rob play and he is very good. Not sure I could pick anybody else out well enough though, I'd be listing names more out of reputation than 1st hand knowledge.
  11. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Me too....brown nosing finished :D
  12. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Jezzoh is class...Napoli will never be the same in my eyes :D :D wtat!!!

Rob is boss as well, glad to say I taught him all he knows.......about drinking!!! Oh NYBBS wouldn't have been the same without my partner in crime...."HOUSE STAFF!!!!!!"
  13. NAS

NAS Member

Gareth Brindle, new solo bari at Dyke :D .
  14. Hot Lips

Hot Lips Member

Best Baritone

Has got to be Mr Harris of Frickley fame!

Playing the baritone? Wos that all about?
  15. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

I have to say that I've never heard a Baritone player better than Margi Antrobus......outstanding in every department.

Katrina Marzella and Robert Richardson get my votes too, they are all special musicians
  16. Steve Atwell

Steve Atwell New Member

Bobby Blackburn without a doubt!!
    Sound, style, technique, nerve, looks - he's got the lot!!

Bergen 2003, Europeans, Aubade - 10 bars of pure class!

(Obviously I lied about the looks)
  17. bassboy

bassboy New Member

Cant decide between Katrina Marzella and Margi Antrobus for 1st bari, both fantastic players and without a doubt the best baritone players that I have ever heard and for 2nd bari it would have to be Peter Christian purely for his huge experience, oh and he's not a bad player too!
  18. I think Katrina Marzella and Robert Richardson would make a lovely baritone section :eek: They both have very vibrant and smooth sounds which would blend in well with any band.
  19. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

For me Margi Antrobus and Bob Blackburn, not doubt about it.
  20. amgray

amgray Member

Historically, what about John Slinger - 44 years at Black Dyke!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: