best banding moment?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by benjaminuk, Mar 1, 2009.

1. benjaminuk

benjaminuk Member

whats your best banding moment?

Mine has to playing abroad for the first time with my band, Barnetby Silver Band, to France in 2002 when I was 12.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Japanese
    ooft
    students
    girl Japanese school
    moment
  3. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Each time coming off stage at a comp. knowing that all the hard work we've done has been worth the blood, sweat and tears... even if we haven't won! :D

4. Winning the North west 4th section Area today is by far and away my best banding moment ever. Truly made up for such am amazing bunch of people!

5. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Winning our Area on Isiah 40....was excellent!! Especially since we won by a big margin too...fabby!! lol!

I have a best banding moment when I wasn't playing (was 8 mths preggers) which was winning the Nationals (lower section) at Torquay...the band was last on and didn't play until midnight!! Was so good when the results were read out.....the best!

6. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Congratulations - and celebrations...! :clap: :clap: :clap:

7. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Boxing Day Concert
    We share theis gig with Fairfield Buxton Band and we alternate each year. This year its our turn. The Octogen Hall in the Pavilion Gardens (The big hall we Buxton Contest is held) is rammed full of people is sold out well before december. Its a masive gig, envy of alot of bands and you walk off stage feeling as though you are a fodens player!!

Contesting, you can stick it up your jacksie, I rather do exciting concerts where you get recognition like this one!!

8. benjaminuk

benjaminuk Member

Well Done!!!!

9. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Thanks! :)

10. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

1st win with a Championship Section band (fulfilled one of my childhood ambitions) - 1983 West of England Area on Images. There are a couple of bars where the whole band is playing except the 2nd Cornets (I may just have passed out?) and I remember thinking WOW! A real hairs-on-the-back-of-the-neck moment
    Standing up at the end it was the first (and maybe the only) time I knew I'd played in the winning band at a contest.

11. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

Winning 1st section on Voyage of Discovery - I loved that piece and got to get the trophy as well :D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Japanese
    ooft
    students
    girl Japanese school
    moment
  13. superjobby

superjobby Member

It was a pretty damn good feeling! Especially as I'd played in about 6 or 7 areas up to Sunday, and never come higher than 10th.. :rolleyes:

I was beginning to think I was an area bad luck charm!

The 2nd win in a row at Butlins was pretty special too, as was my first ever contest win, at Pontins in 99, also with Eccles! :biggrin:

14. deave

deave Member

Carnegie Hall 2003 with Grimethorpe
    Winning Open 2008 with Fodens

Tough call to decide which was best!!

15. beccawheeze2

beccawheeze2 Member

Winnning the 4th section in the midlands area in 2007 has to be the best. My most memorable playing moment was playing through a power cut with the only light being the emergency lighting.

16. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

In total 3 for me in this order;
    1st:Winning the 3rd section national championships in 1977 with Walsall Metropolitan Band(Now Staffs) aged 12 my first senior band contest played 2nd baritione.

2nd:Winning Midland Area 2nd section also with Walsall Metropolitan Band 1979 playing 2nd Baritone

3rd Winning 1st Section Area in 2007 with my old band Gresley Playing SOLO BARITONE!!!!!!

17. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Winning the C Section of the old Yorkshire and Humberside contest by 11 clear points, which meant we'd also won the B Section by 3.

First time walking onto the RAH stage.

First time playing at Symphony Hall

First time playing at the Corn Exchange

Playing next to Peter Roberts

There's more....it's been a long time since I was 8.

Sud.

18. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Performance of Festival Music at the British Open (Kings Hall) 1971. The crowd were cheering before we'd even finished, I still get that tingling feeling just recalling it.
    (Yorks Imps 1st 197 points) Also a memorable evenings celebration at Strangeways Prison officers club!

19. FATNBALD

FATNBALD Member

Winnig Yorkshire Area 3rd section at first attempt with "Tam o Shanters ride" fantastic test piece:D

20. David Mann

David Mann Member

1. Winning the Grand Shield - more specifically the feeling during the second movement of Year Of The Dragon that it was all going fantastically well.
    2. Marching up to and playing under the Menin Gate.
    3. The first time as a conductor that my band really performed something well.

21. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I've never been the most spectacular player, or indeed played at the level of some of the previous posters, so apologies if this all sounds a bit run of the mill:

First time I took the stage at St George's hall, sat on 2nd Eb between Andy Stevenson and Adrian Davidson, and the rush when JR and Tabby offered me a full-time chair. (I'd been in a non-contesting band only three weeks before.)

The whole 2005 New Zealand tour - especially the last chord of St Magnus on stage at the Michael Fowler Centre. What a rush!

The buzz when JR told me he wanted to put something I'd written on the last band CD - and the same when Simon Kerwin said some of my stuff was going on the next one.

When Tabby Clegg premiered my arrangement of Weber's clarinet concerto at the french open - and when Rob Westacott and Hepworth gave it's UK premier it at Huddersfield town hall a few weeks later. To this day he's the only one ever to get the super F at the end - which I only put in as an option.

When Les and Vicky came back from the Brighouse Marches results with the trophy for "best band on the march." We'd played a march I'd composed for our tenth birthday called Bethel Street, and I was so happy it had helped pull in some silverware for everyone.

22. Ladybass

Ladybass New Member

Best Banding Moment

Big emphasis on 'winning' here.

Mine has to be playing Elsa's Procession to the Minster with the amazing 'Boobs and Brass' massed bands with Brighouse and Rastrick in Huddersfield last year.
    Made your ears bleed.
    Not a dry eye in the house - an experience I will never forget.

:clap: