Besson Sovereign quality

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Accidental, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Has anyone bought a new Sovereign in the last couple of years?
    Trying to find out if the basic design has changed at all, and what's the build quality like these days? (am I right in thinking they're made at the Courtois factory now?)
    I'm specifically looking at the Baritone, but any info/opinions would be useful!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Besson Sovereign
    Sovereign
    Courtois
    Baritone
    new Sovereign
  3. simonium

simonium Member

My experience of new Prestige euphs (I had one which was replaced due to plating issues. The replacement then had a faulty finish and a rattle and its replacement was good) were the instruments played brilliantly, really excellent, and the design innovations and tweaks were worthwhile but the finish? Not so good. Admittedly they were pretty much first of the line but it put me off. Now they're more settled its probably better.

4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I brought new Prestige Baritone in 2009 and just know what a great choice i made.
    SIMPLE :clap:

5. Fat_Bari

Fat_Bari Member

I too purchased a Prestige baritone 4 years ago and it is without a doubt the best instrument I have played, the finish is a good today as the day I bought it.

6. Accidental

Cheers guys, but I'm specifically after info on Sovereigns...... I may have got the wrong end of the stick, but I had the impression the build quality of Sovereigns has suffered more than the Prestiges in recent years so I'm really after anyone with recent experience of Sovereigns to share.

7. jennyt125

jennyt125 Member

Had a German made EEb tuba with thin plating and the instrument itself seemed lightweight and thin, cutting back on bow guards/size of bracing etc. I am picking up a later made sovereign baritone next week so will let you know :)

8. GordonH

GordonH Member

I am considering replacing my elderly Sovereign cornet and spoke to Malcolm at the Wind Section in Edinburgh. He is also an instrument repairer and has been in the business for years. His opinion is that the current Sovereign cornets are very well made, better than the first ones to come our of the French factory. Make of that what you will.

9. Accidental

Thanks guys. I had a long chat with a supplier today about Bessons and feeling much more positive now..... jenny I'd be really interested to hear how you get on too :)
    (oh, and I was wrong about the Courtois thing - cornets and horns come from there but low brass are made in Germany)