besson prestige euph

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by gazzer1963, Aug 23, 2011.

1. gazzer1963

gazzer1963 New Member

Hi
    Im thinking of buying one. Does anyone have any advice please? :clap:

2. MicahParsons

MicahParsons New Member

I have a London Model Prestiege. It has Great Response and has a totally solid range, The Trigger Mechanism is a pain and has alot of small parts and sometime can be hard to take apart but incredibly easy to brake. The Valves system is fantastic and is very slick and fast moving, The Sound is not as dark as the Soverign but still has the Besson sound in my Opinion.

3. euphymike

euphymike Member

There are others out there that are at least equal if not better. Willson, Miraphone or even the hard to find Hirsbrunner!

The larger bore of the Willson 2950TA and miraphone means the intonation is improved and in the hands of a good player you can dispense with the tuning thingy all together!

there are all a lot of money so look at your options.

4. Despot

Despot Member

I have one of the newer German made ones and I think it's great!

One word of warning is when disassembling the trigger. Be careful of the 2 plastic inserts. Few people realise one has a left handed thread, the other a right handed thread and are easy to wreck if you don't realise it! (But cheap to replace.)

If you have the cash, why not?

5. gazzer1963

gazzer1963 New Member

thanks for the advise some interesting points Cheers

6. simonium

simonium Member

I've had three Prestige euphoniums - 1 Uk models and two German models. The newer version in my opinion is far superior to the UK made instruments. I do find however that they seem to be designed with soloists in mind rather than band players - I found the sound very bright. I loved it when I had them but I've since changed to an older Sovereign - heavier brass and leadpipe soldered direct on to the bell, and have realised I can produce a much better, darker sound.