Besson or York BBb bass???

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by matt_BBb_bass, May 22, 2007.

1. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

Hey im am thinking of buying my own BBb bass but i was wondering which type you would say was better? Iv only ever played a Besson but never a York! I was wondering if People could point me to the best bass.

Thank Matt

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    York
    BBb
    Besson
    Matt
    best bass
  3. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Neither!!!

I've been trying to buy a BBb for 3 months. York, is still in prototype. Besson, not even been able to see one, let alone try one. You can of course order them though (York and Besson), they're willing to take orders for non existent instruments, but when you'll see them, I've no idea. I doubt it'll be this year though. Seriously.

I've gone for LMI. Better than the York Prototype (by a long way), better than the Mirapohones we tried and also available a few weeks after you order it. Speak to them at LMI and see if you can go and try one. I had one for 3 weeks, and it's a great instrument. I'm going to the workshop to get "fitted" for it in a couple of weeks.

4. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

Where could i go to get a LMI then?

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2007
  5. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Contact Kim at LMI and ask who your local dealer is.

http://www.londonmi.co.uk/

Mention me, you might get one quicker! Although I doubt it ;-)

6. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Also worth trying at curry houses in Preston ;)

7. premacyblue

premacyblue Member

I've tried the Yamaha version and although slightly different to the Besson produces a far better sound and the build quality is more solid than that of a modern Besson.

8. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Ah, now you're talking!

9. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

More discusiion here

Good luck - the world needs BBb bass players...

10. zak

zak Member

It's a 100% personal thing and you should try as many as you can and make your own decision from your experiences of testing, afterall what's good for one is not always good for someone else ;)

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- mind you, with so many instruments now on the market, I'd be confused choosing one with a lot having different characteristics!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    York
    BBb
    Besson
    Matt
    best bass
  13. zak

zak Member

That's a fair point BUT it's still a total personal choice and afterall it's a very big investment/outlay so trying as many as possible would be sound advice I think. I know very good players for example who play on other brands of euphonium that I didn't get on with when I tried them but it doesn't make the instrument bad, just meant it was not for me ;)

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I bought my Yammy 632S (concert model) because of it's responsiveness to change in both colour and dynamics. I could have got a Sovereign but felt I would have to try too many of them to get one I liked. I just happened to get an exceptional one on first attempt with Yamaha although the bell is too thin for my comfort zone! It's a pity the contesting scene don't allow CCs as I personally feel they are better all rounders than BBbs.

15. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Learn something new everyday. I didn't BN was a Tubist. :)

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- sort of ... if my recent dental work holds up this time! (£500 spent after losing a few teeth in the run in to the Areas ... and forced to step down :frown: ... long story).

17. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Not sure which Yamaha you're referring to but I read somewhere that the Xeno BBb developed with the assistance of Simon Gresswell is due for launch, sometime this year?

I tried a LMI BBb at the Open last September and, although not a 'full-time' BBb player, liked it a lot.
    LMI have the advantage of being small enough to tailor the instrument to suit so I'm sure they'll be able to do things like adjusting the height of the leadpipe depending on how tall you are. Chap I spoke to was Paul Flower, formerly of Boosey & Hawkes, Edgware.

Again, as Andy says, the Besson and York BBbs are quite a long way off. I tried the two Besson EEbs (981 & 982) at the European but understand from a Normans advert on 4BR that delivery won't be until the autumn. As Besson didn't have a BBb to show at the Europeans, I guess that is even further off than the EEbs.

If you're OK with secondhand, our corps band have had two really good 'first generation' 994 Sovereigns from Mr Tuba (Mark Carter) in Cwmbran.

18. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

i am going to try out both a Besson and a York bass next week some time hopefully!

19. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Really? BBb's? New ones? That's very surprising.

20. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

i don't no about the new besson but when i rung trevada up they have 2 york BBb down there!

21. The new Bessons are very good, as i've said on here quite a few times... It might be worth talking to Normans about it, they were one of the first by a long way to get the new Besson euphs in and are very very helpful.

22. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

The point is, there are no new Besson BBb's as far as I know. I talked to the rep and the boss and got a no result, so I'm absolutely positive there are no production Bessons to even try. As for York, the only BBb I've seen is at Dyke, and is apparently a prototype, with the Dyke players supposed to be developing it. They haven't been to Germany yet to do that (or hadn't last week) so therefore, unless somebody's telling porkys, the York can't be a production model either. Unless the "prototype" is the production model with all it's obvious faults!

Be careful what you see and believe!