Besson or courtois?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by rosibroad, Sep 26, 2004.

1. rosibroad

rosibroad New Member

Which is best? a courtois Alto 180 hornor a besson sovereign!

I am trying to decide which one to buy.

Please can someone help!!

2. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Based on what I've seen from their other instruments, the Courtois instruments vary from very good to very ropey, whereas the bessons tend to be very consistant but possibly not as good as the best courtois... probably best to try a few out yourself.
  3. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

4. Rosibroad

Well, I moved to a new band nearly a year ago now and when I arrived the horn section played on Courtois. I have always played on a Sov but wa open minded and happily gave it a go.

I found them fantastic to play the top register and really easy to get extreme power in any range. The valves were excellent (better than any Sov I've played) and the cases are really nice looking!

However they did have a real problem with tuning in the lower register - E's on bottom line down. I was told by an excellent Champ. section pricipal horn friend that it's because the bell size is too big for the instrument. I'm not sure if this is correct but I suppose it makes some sense. They are also very responsive to changes in temperature which effects tuning massively. We had loads of problems with this.

Suffice to say that we've moved back to the trusty Sov. The cornets still play Courtois and enjoy them though.

Is there any reason why you didn't put Yamaha Maestro in the mix? They're far better than the Courtois imho.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Toppy.