Besson New Standard Eb Tenor Horn thinking of buying

Discussion in ' User Reviews' started by gazzer1963, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Missy_Gracie

Missy_Gracie Member

Pants, missed that one ! I shall inform eb ben as he thinks I can recite the ebay tenor horn listings by heart
  2. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

imperial nope.
    Globe stamp B&H or a 15-20 year old sovereign would be the best bet.
    The JP range is good, very good value, depends what standard you play to as to what you get out of the instrument. In most cases you get what you pay for.
  3. Andy82

Andy82 New Member

Ditto, played on a "newer" band sov for years and some after some 10 years or more been bothered to finally go buy my own horn, bought a little worse for wear B&H roundstamp Sov and thought I had been done and payed WELL over the odds for it (£1050), but despite all of that and the dings and bubbles its a 110% better sound, notes come out easier and just everything else is better.... I dont understand how they can be so different but they are and its Brill, go find one!

4. Missy_Gracie

Missy_Gracie Member

so now to find one! John Packers have persuaded me to take a Kanstul horn on approval, so I'm awaiting it's arrival- but I can't imagine americans make an amazing tenor horn... we shall see when it arrives. Maybe I should be patient and await a round-stamp... maybe I should start killing off horn players!
  5. Missy_Gracie

Missy_Gracie Member

well the Kanstul is here- it's certainly better than the JP- but I would hope so considering it's 5x the price. It seems to have rather more notes, that are rather easier to find! However I'm awaiting some slightly more knowledgable assistance over the next few days!
  6. foxyflug

foxyflug Member

Glyn Williams Music have various tenor horns in stock, and at various prices. We have got a second hand Besson Sovereign at the moment, a second hand Prestige, a couple of Sterling Royale's (similar to the York Preference) and of course the top of the range Sterling Virtuoso's.

Drop me an email at and I can give you prices etc.

Helen Williams
  7. Missy_Gracie

Missy_Gracie Member

Well I now have a new (old) sov on it's way to me! Thanks Helen! it was a bit complicated, but that's why brother in laws are useful! the horn should hopefully be heading up to Aberdeen, before returning to North Yorkshire Via edinburgh!
  8. foxyflug

foxyflug Member

No worries Grace.....we got there in the end! I don't think you'll be disappointed with the instrument, its a cracker! Was nice to meet your brother-in-law at Blackpool.
  9. Missy_Gracie

Missy_Gracie Member

I probably should say that all the complications were at this end (including questions like, can we get to blackpool in under 45 minutes, from 10 miles south of scotch corner!) and that Helen at Glyn Williams music has been brilliant all the way through! (very nice snazzy website too!)