Besson New Standard Eb Tenor Horn thinking of buying

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by gazzer1963, Jul 17, 2011.

1. gazzer1963

gazzer1963 New Member

Hi
    Does any one have any thaughts on the Besson New Standard Eb Tenor Horn?
    Im thinking on buying one for my son who is a student player of 4 years and is looking to progress into joining a better band than he is in now.
    Any info on this instrument would be appreciated and how much one should be
    Cheers Garry :D

2. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

Garry

I am not familiar with prices of the Besson New Standard Tenor Horn, but if your son's playing is now progressing to a higher level I would perhaps suggest that you look for a second hand Sovereign (or similar).

Barry

3. gazzer1963

gazzer1963 New Member

Hi
    Thanks for the reply. I agree but sovs just a bit out of my price range at the mo. All the ones Ive seen are going for £1000 plus. what level would you say the new standard was?

4. Split Splat

Split Splat Member

Hi,
    What is your budget. Sovs do come along for less that £1k
    Ebay is a good place to look!
    I would deffo hang on for a Sov at the right price as I was recently offered a Round Stamp model in good condition for £850!!! (these are the D's B's of tenor horns!)
    Hope this helps.

5. eflatbass

The reason I suggested a Sovereign is that I have always believed in giving a good instrument to a promising young player. If your son is to sit in a “better band”, alongside guys or gals playing on Sovereigns or similar, he will need to feel that he is their equal, at least in respect of the quality of instrument he owns. There is no worse feeling for a young band person to experience than that of performing on an inferior instrument.

The cheaper Besson models may well be “okay”, but there is a world of difference between them and the Sovereign, or indeed the Yamaha equivalent.

Sell the car. Buy him a Sovereign!

6. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Gotta say i agree re the Sovereign,my daughter switched from cornet to tenor horn a few years back and we decided to look for a quality horn. We trawled Ebay evey week for a few months the bingo there it was. Made a cheeky offer and for £400 quid we got a real real bargain. It did take half a day of spit and polish etc but blimey so worth it. She took her grade 8 with that instrument and played in two National finals (solo horn) so worth holding out and looking for the right instrument. We struck it very lucky but look for the best. We did have the use of the bands Sovereign horn (although old and a bit tatty) this convinced us that this model was far superior to a lot of the other stuff out there, so as eflatbass says if the lads any good hurry up and flog the car!!!!

7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Sovereigns are old tech now. Yamaha Neos are the top dog now. Far better than the Sovs.

8. eflatbass

I do not disagree with you; however, we are discussing the purchase of a horn where the gentleman has already said that he could not afford £1000. A secondhand Yamaha Neo would cost a great deal more than that. Would you sell your Neo for less than a couple of grand?

9. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Well Rapier,as for secondhand instruments which is what we are talking about,Neos are few and far between,and as eflat says a lot more money,but take a look around at a lot of top flight bands and old hat or no the good old Sovereign is still an instument of choice for many a player. So how many Sov horns or Neos have you tried or performed with,maybe a constructive appraisal of both could be of benefit

10. Split Splat

Split Splat Member

I am fortunate enough to own both a Neo and and old round stamp Sov! :p
    Whilst I love the Neo (big sound and amazing valves) and am for than happy to play it I am playing the sov at the moment as I feel the sound is darker/richer with the Neo being slightly brighter.
    My daughter is playing on the Neo :clap:

The Sov does blend better in our section as both the other players are on Sov's too.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Besson New Standard Eb Tenor Horn
    Garry :D
    HiDoes
    Besson New Standard Eb Tenor Horn?Im
    Besson New Standard Eb Tenor Horn thinking of buying HiDoes
  12. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Yes, and I'm trying to. :wink:

Have left brass banding and now play trumpet

13. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Gary - it would be useful to know what age and standard your son is and what standard of band he is currently with - and what standard band he is (realistically) hoping to join. Also your budget...
    The New Standard was the Besson equivalent of the B&H Imperial and up until the mid seventies when the Sovereign range was introduced was top of the range (I know I will be corrected if this is wrong but this is how I remember it).
    A decent Imperial/New Standard probably only fetches £200 - £400 now although they are solid decent instruments which should give years of use (and abuse if being carted to and from school etc.). For this money you would be unlikely to get a Sovereign in playable condition you could however get a JP272 which has recieved excellent reviews YES this is a chinese instrument but seems to offer excellent value - I own (and have owned) several chinese instruments and the build quality and playability of modern instruments is very good indeed.
    The Eastmann instruments are a little more expensive but talk to Chris and he might do you a good deal.
    We can't all afford top of the range instruments and whilst " Invest in the best you can afford" is a good motto we can't always afford that much (speaking from experience..) and sometimes an expensive instrument isn't always best for a school age child - as it's not always covered by insurance away from home.
    I hope this helps - and good luck to you both.
    Andy

14. eflatbass

I would be inclined to agree with Andrew regarding an Imperial, if you can still find one in very good condition, although I have no experience of the New Standard.

15. gazzer1963

gazzer1963 New Member

Thanks everyone for some interesting comments. I think a sov is the way to go, just need to get lucky and find one lol

16. Missy_Gracie

Missy_Gracie Member

I know this is an old thread- but seemed daft to start a new one to confirm a question I'm trying to get to the bottom of. Are we suggesting that an Imperial tenor horn is a good basic investment?
    I think we've probably all established that I'm no great shakes at the horn, but am practising hard. I'm looking for a "forever" horn, having sold my cello. But I don't have the money for a new (or even second hand) neo. would an imperial be a decent horn, saving myself money over a globe sov, which could be a dud? or should I buy a new chinese one? thoughts, observations? less than £1000 is the limit!

17. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

When I was on horn I oreferred the Maestro to Sov, and the Neo would be my first choice now (but as other posters have pointed out you're not going to get one in your price range). You can get a decent 2nd hand Maestro or Sovereign for less than a grand though if you're happy to wait and stake out all the usual traders and sites like this, and either would be much better (imho) than an Imperial, student model or new Chinese make.

18. Missy_Gracie

Missy_Gracie Member

Thanks! I've heard bad things about the yamahas fitting in with the rest of a section, so will stick to a besson probably, though still umming and aahhing over whether to try a first brass or john packer, i quite liked the regency from first brass, and almost bought it on a trade stand at the areas. I think though that I do want something that will hold its value and as an investment

19. julian

julian Member

Just a thought. Buy nice secondhand Imprial or New Standard for a few hundred pounds, and if you look after it, in two or three years it will still be worth roughly what you paid for it - then trade up. Buy a cheap new 'disposable' horn that after a couple of years all the lacquer or plating falls off or the solder joints come away, and what will it be worth?

Regards,
    Julian.

20. Missy_Gracie

Missy_Gracie Member

see I have a JP172 bought second hand, (from cash converters actually- looked like it had been bought for a child and never played) but I think it's one of their old ones, and there are just some niggles on it (the valve caps come loose during vigorous playing, and it feels a bit like it will dent if you look too hard at it) so am actually thinking about the next step up, as I do have some money from the sale of my cello (about £900) but would rather not spend all of it- so it's whether I jump right in, or buy something a little cheaper. hmmm.... i suppose if I go cheaper I may be able to afford a beat up Bb bass to go to whit friday marches with....

21. julian

julian Member

Sorry to say bought three 172's two years ago for beginners (didn't take my own advice!) worse valves I have EVER experienced and tuning on lower notes awful! Good secondhand Imperial on Ebay usually go for under £200. One this week that didn't look half bad with a grey 'Bandite' case and some silver missing off slide ends went for £27 !!!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Besson New Standard Eb Tenor Horn
    Garry :D
    HiDoes
    Besson New Standard Eb Tenor Horn?Im
    Besson New Standard Eb Tenor Horn thinking of buying HiDoes