Besson International Cornet - lost part - Help

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Brasstafarian, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Brasstafarian

Brasstafarian New Member

The 3rd-Valve Trigger 'regulating rod' the one that regulates the distance the slide comes out.

This original part of our very treasured family heirloom was lost during a professional refurb.

I would dearly love to see any close-up detail images of this part if anyone still has one of the original parts. I understand they are very rare now and highly prized.

Plan is, to make sure any new fabricated part is as close to the original as is possible. Pics, with measurements if possible, would be so greatly appreciated. This loss has hurt us bad.

2. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

I think there were two Besson Internationals. One from around the 60s that pre-dated the Sovereign, and one that came later. Do you know which one it was? There was one on eBay a while back - is this your type? Image is not great, but it might help:
    upload_2015-8-19_13-26-12.png

3. Kristen Arnoy

Kristen Arnoy New Member

4. Brasstafarian

Brasstafarian New Member

Kristen - many thanks, sadly the rod, it didn't look like that one. In fact I don't recall an external thread on it like the one shown. Our Besson was bought around '68 and it was already 2nd-hand. Tried some serial number checks, but the lists I found so far all seem to stop around 1974.

Appreciate the images, very interesting to see the different types of detail.

5. Kristen Arnoy

Kristen Arnoy New Member

Sorry it was the wrong rod. My International, in the picture, is a preproduction one from 1964. They only hit the shelves in 1965..

6. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

I am not too sure which bit you mean is missing, the threaded rod shown in the second image is actually a stop rod, this is an adjustable rod that limits the length of travel of the valve slide. On the later Sovereign models that adjustable rod is omitted, though still found on certain makes of trumpet.
    If however you are meaning the push rod that actually pushes the slide out via the trigger, I don't think the basic shape has altered very much over time.
    The push rod is this one that connects the trigger to the slide, taken from my three to four year old Sovereign which is of course the Courtois instrument.

[​IMG]

A photograph of the instrument showing where the missing part should be might be of help. Also of help would be to know if it should be plain lacquered brass, or is it silver or chrome plated!

7. Kristen Arnoy

Kristen Arnoy New Member

Oh.. In that case this rod has actually changed quite a bit. This older type of pushrod was also used on Boosey & Hawkes first generation ML bore Sovereigns (the 920). In fact they are probably interchangeable. Buying an old 920 from a band store room will be cheaper than having a new rod custom made I guess…

[​IMG]

8. Brasstafarian

Brasstafarian New Member

You are very helpful, many thanks. I think the first image you supplied did show the same area.

Here is our Cornet
    [​IMG]

Here is the place where the rod used to live...
    [​IMG]

Here are some close ups of the connecting holes and screws. I hope this makes things a wee bit clearer :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

It is the stop-rod you're missing. I would recommend that you contact McQueens in Manchester (they're on Facebook) and, if they can't source you a replacement then they will almost certainly be able to make you one, such that nobody would be able to tell the difference. You could also contact Dawkes, though they are perhaps unlikely to still carry such old stock. Please let us know how you get on.

10. Brasstafarian

Brasstafarian New Member

Thanks - I have just contacted McQueens. Fingers crossed.

Meantime - if anyone out there does have a photo of an original rod, it would be greatly appreciated.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Besson International Cornet
    Help
    treasured family heirloom
    original parts
    Valve Trigger
  12. sjp

sjp New Member

I know this is an old thread, but are you still looking for photos?
    I have an international cornet complete with regulating rod. I can send some pics.

13. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

:eek::eek::eek:

14. sjp

sjp New Member

15. sjp

sjp New Member

16. sjp

sjp New Member

My cornet dates from about 1973. I've been trying to find exact date from the serial number but not had much luck. I've had it since new. I think I bought it about 1975 but according to the serial number it was definitely made before that date.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  17. Brasstafarian

Brasstafarian New Member

sjp - many thanks for this and sorry for the delay responding.

That is exactly as we remember the part having now seen one again in your photograph.

Will look into getting a true replica made at last.

Fantastic !