Besson goes into administration

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by WoodenFlugel, Dec 8, 2005.

1. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

The news this morning that Besson Musical Instruments has gone into administration potentially has widespread implications for the Brass Band movement. Not only do they supply the vast majority of instruments to brass bands, they are also a major sponsor of our biggest contest. Please feel free to discuss the situation here, but we ask that you do so in a mature and considered way, avoiding rumour and speculation and sticking to the facts and what you feel should happen now and in the future.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2005
  2. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Was there not a sense of trouble a couple of years back when they passed over some of the running of the contests to newly formed Kapitol? it's very sad but i'm sure the lacking amount of people learning to play these days combined with the fact it is now easy to buy over the internet from around the world for instruments has led to a wider market for people to choose from. I hope it can turn itself around.
  3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

A relatively small point but I don't think that they have sponsored the contest for a few years now but they do own the 'National Brass Band Championship' title.

This is sad news and will obviously have serious implications.

4. imthemaddude

I wonder what will happen to the players who work for besson as clinicians like Katrina, Roger, David etc
  5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Sorry David, I stand corrected, you are right of course. It was a combo of early morning tiredness and trying to get an "official" post written and the thread started before I was beaten to it. :oops: My source will be taken outside and shot....(me)
  6. postie

postie Member

I think unfortunatly Besson has become another victim of globalation. People as has already been said can purchase instruments from anyway in the world over the internet. Very sad day for anyone employed by the company.
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I hope they announce details of instrument warranty for claims contracting towards repairs and returns.
  8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Based on the FT announcement it seems that the holding group have been selling off the profit making elements of the business and clearly Besson wasn't.

Often in a receivership however the creditors are left with money owing and the receiver then has a clean sellable asset which will be of interest to someone. Long time employees will usually receive any redundancy payments from the government - but unless the receiver already has an "interested" party that would want to buy the business he'll hive off what's left off for the quickest price.

The money to pay the receiver comes out of the money raised and this can run in to millions - these guys can charge up to £300 and £400 per hour.
  9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

11. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

That's what I thought!!
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I heard rumours that a consortium of players were trying to bid for Besson and I reckon most know who I'm on about (... no direct confirmation so I cannot say who!) so this makes the situation more interesting regarding the capital required to save them.
  13. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

A small, but highly significant point: the government does not pay redundancy payments. We the taxpayer do.

Daniel Sheard
  14. imthemaddude

I'd rather my tax payed for them than some other things
  15. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Think you are both wrong. Government has nothing to do with redundancy payments given by private firms. If they did every company in the UK would be hiring and firing without a care in the world.
  16. shawneuph

shawneuph Supporting Member

Now the thread is up and running (following the removal of the thread I started yesterday in which i gave all the details and more ) I would like to say that the anouncement as published on 4 barsrest is in my view an appauling statement that does not relate one bit to what is happening. How can it be buisiness as usuall when they have no staff ?? around 30 staff have been made redundant in the last 36 hours and there are now only around 6 staff still in employed by Besson. There have been no statements concerning events that besson are involved/own. Speculation concerning new ownership has been around for more than 12 months but so far everyone who has looked at besson has walked away, lets hope that if a new owner can be found that they can rescue this once great company, however I doubt that we will ever see a besson instrument made on this side of the world ever again, almost certainly if there is any future for the company it lies in production of the whole range in their Indian factory.
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- not as accurate as you suggest. My previous company went bust and the 'temporary' owners (... to clarify... they bought the company when administration was imminent reputedly accepting previous contractual employee rights and conditions) & refused to pay us redundancy money after asset stripping and creating huge losses. We were offered the Government minimum instead (... still losing considerable money we were told and promised when that takeover took place!).

- the terms in the link below applied to me at time of redundancy ...
  18. shawneuph

shawneuph Supporting Member

How soon before 4barsrest make comment they are aware of many of the undisclosed details and have been since early wednesday morning, it would be helpful if they could get a more realistic statement from besson and if not they should publish all the information thay have as it is of the up most importance to all bandsman in this country
  19. masefield

masefield Member

Is it not also strange that there is still no news on the Besson web site - it is still stating that there is no news today (I have even refreshed the page a couple of times) and it still states that there is no news today. You would have thought that the press release on 4barsrest would have been on the official Besson web site.
  20. HBB

HBB Active Member

Just when I bought a new instrument! :eek: