Besson 408 Bb/F Trombone

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Gtrom, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Gtrom

Gtrom Member

Hi. I was lucky enough to purchase a Besson A Class Academy 408 Bb/F Trombone on ebay a couple of weeks ago.

I have been trying to locate the year it was made but havent had any luck.

The Trombone itself is in mint condition and seems bullet-proof, good job really as it was originally bought by the military and used by them up until recently.

The serial number is 413552 and judging by the "coffin style" case I would gestimate it was made somewhere near the late 60's.

I bought the Trombone as a spare should my Bass Trombone "go down" and although it is a small bore instrument I think I can purchase a mouthpiece adaptor so my Stork 1S can be used.

Does anyone have any info they can share about this particular instrument or comments about it doubling up as a Bass Trombone substitute when absolutely needed?

Many thanks in advance.
  2. trombo

trombo Member

According to Stewart Stunell, this was a complete family of professional trombones. Members ranged in size from "Alto through medium/small Tenors, medium bore Tenors, medium/large Tenors to large bore Tenors and Bb/F Bass trombones". Model numbers were 401 thru 409. Made in late 1950's early 1960' forerunners of the Besson International series.

3. Gtrom

Gtrom Member

Many thanks for the info Trombo.

That puts the trombone 10 years before my estimation.

Incidentally I used to play a Besson "Globe" double plug Bass Trombone which according to your info appears to be the "son" of the Academy models.

Thanks once again.