Besses staying up?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by jimothy, Nov 14, 2005.

1. jimothy

jimothy Member

There is a rumour circulating the Besses have successfully appealed against their relegation to the first section.

Does anyone have any facts about this?
  2. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

I've heard the same, and I'm pretty sure it's correct.

No idea on what grounds or why though.
  3. nomadic t-horn

nomadic t-horn New Member

Depends how you read the rules.

Technically as Mossley where in the champion section 3 years ago then there placing from that year counts (12th I think) as opposed to mid table points for promoted bands.

This means that by comming joint 11th at the area this means that Besses would stay up by 1 point.

As there are a handfull of bands in the NW area who yo-yo between the top two sections it can cause confusion.
  4. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

I have just left Besses myself and can clarify that they are definately staying up. Think they need to do pretty well to stay up next year though.
    Good luck to them, they have some fantastic players and deserve to stay up, especially if u look at some of the bands that are in that section who probably dont deserve to be there. :D
  5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

See, I don't understand statements like this. The rules are set down and all bands know the rules so how can anyone say a band doesn't deserve to be in any given section. If by merit of their performances they have gained enough points then surely they do deserve to be there.

Good luck to Besses, hope to see you in Glasgow.
  6. Billy

Billy New Member

O.K. then brassybabe, who in your expert opinion probably doesn't deserve to be there? I'm really interested to hear!
  7. Heather

Heather Member

Well done Besses on winning your appeal ,but on what grounds??
    My Band finished on equal points to Besses but we're down to the 1st Section and staying there! We didn't appeal but I know its in the rules you can.
    Seems a bit silly to me. I can't imagine Birmingham City being able to appeal if they get relegated from the Premiership this season!!!!
    Surely, if you end up in the 'relegation zone' its because you deserve to be just aren't good enough for that section! Thats what I understood anyway.
    Only time will tell if Besses have done the right thing (but what happens if they end up at the bottom next year??).
    .....all the best Besses and thanks for making it one less Band for us to beat next year!!!!!!!
  8. Golden-Hynd

Golden-Hynd Member

Hi there,

I'm not sure how all the rules work but I seem to remember hearing that we or another band had one to many or too little points and so we should neve have been going down, but dont count me on that. Think we are staying up though.

As to Brassybabes previous comment about us deserving to stay up and others not....I think it should just be counted as an opinion - which we all have! But we're all glad we're staying up and are very much looking forward to having a crack at being well clear of the drop zone next year. We're also currently getting ready for The Scottish Open where hopefully we'll get another decent result.

9. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

I remeber appealing for relagation from the second section a few years ago with a different band to the one im in now. All they did was send round some forms and asked each member of the band to fill them in with which bands you had been in and if you had any grades and how long youd been playing and stuff. There was probablly alot of stuff around that but thats all i saw.
    May have changed now but thats what i remember (minst you we did get two lasts in a row so why they were appealing i have no idea).
  10. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

See, I don't understand statements like this.

Anyone that thinks, should know, the current situation for relegation and promotion is a joke, just like the movement at present.

How an organisation as big as our movement can promote bands on one performance a year (okay for those do-gooders that Ahh and but.... 3 performances over three years) needs to take one big look at themselves.

The only good thing this movement had was the Federation and now thats not worth the time the representatives give it. Another thing bands and bands Folk complacency has ruined.

We brass banders are so short sighted and narrow mainded that we will cripple this great past time so much it will fold beneath our feet.

STOP asking if the rules state......... and START asking when the rules will be looked at and if not brought in to the 21st centuary at least lets get them as far as the middle ages
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2005
  11. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

But that'll never happen anyway!! ;-)

Apparently I was on MOTD this weekend, freezing my nuts off at the Stadium of Light in Sunderland, standing behind a bloke who'd taken his top off to celebrate our win!

12. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

Thats just my point Heather (without reference to whether Birmingham City even desearve to be in the Premiership) what uproar would there be from this:

Official Statement from FA HQ:

It has been decided that to combat fatigue of overly paid players during the 2006/2007 season, that promotion and relegation be decided by just one match over the season. Obviously teams will play all matches throughout the season, however matches played on Saturday ??th Feb only will decide who goes up and who goes down. For thoses teams playing on Sky Sports on the Sunday, well this is your lucky year.

So the point is, Besses, Dyke or Cherry Bottoms Old Boys Band, it doesn't matter who, it only matters how and one performance per year is wrong.
  13. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Don't forget you're playing every team at the same time? :cool:
  14. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Well, perhaps we should look to use tMP as a campaigning lobby. We've already debated that the current system is imperfect, but (in my view) this can be simply solved by saying that in the event of a tie on points, the band finishing higher in the most recent regional competition will be placed higher in the table, with any band not competing in the most recent regional competition finishing below all those that do.

This simple amendment would rule out all appeals.

If John were willing to use tMP as a campaign forum, this would be number one on my list of things to be campaigned for.
  15. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

and you got back to the Midlands alive :sup
  16. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

Will the Sec for Prime Minister.

I have been pushing for a review of promotion/relegation for the past 10 years, writing to associations, the Federation and regional committees. But Will the point is should a grading system be taken on one performance (of 12-17 mins) per year over 3 years???

Anyway I would back what Will the Sec said as a start until enough momentum can be gathered to change the whole system ........ RADICAL......aint it

Oh well ......
  17. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Well, I do work down the road from him as it is...

I think so. I certainly can't think of a better way - and it hasn't beem for the want of trying.
  18. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

Fair enough, but one day I WILL have my way. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha :evil:
  19. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I don't think we should discount the fact that many of the bands competing at the Regionals spend a vast amount of time rehearsing and perfecting their respective pieces. When they go on stage, they have to perform, and if they don't they haven't made the cut. Music is being able to perform on stage, not just in the bandroom!

Yes, there are "un-musical" reasons for poor-performances, including sick players, rehearsing issues, etc. And for this reason I feel that a band should have the right to appeal on these grounds. But for the music, you do what you can with who you have and the excuse of having an "off-day" despite who is in your ranks just shouldn't wash.

If the LSO went on stage at the RAH and performed miserably, they would be rightfully panned by the critics.
  20. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

True, but they wouldn't have to wait another year to be able to show it was just a bad day at the office, and not typical of their general standard of playing.