Besses O'Th' Barn announce line up for 2009

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by MattB, Feb 6, 2009.

1. MattB

MattB Member

Besses O'Th' Barn Band (Whitefield, Manchester) are delighted to announce several signings to the band in the past few months, in advance of the 2009 contest season.

Joining the cornet team are new Principal Laura Dawson, Solo Cornet Fiona Sharples, Repiano Danielle Wilcock (formerly of BMP Goodshaw), 2nd Cornet Jenny Goy (also BMP), and 3rd Cornet Jack Moores, most recently with the Rossendale Scout Band.

Filling the 1st horn vacancy is Victoria Truman who joins after a long and successful spell with Besses Boys Band.

Principle Euphonium is filled by Mat Stenson, formerly of Pemberton Old Band, and 2nd Baritone by Steve Hughes, who joins from Eccles Borough.

Our new Trombone team consists of Kevin Bradshaw (ex-Middleton), Matt Bown (Dronfield), and Harry Armitage (Prestwich).

The bass section is boosted by Jemima Palfreyman (Brunel) and Matthew Bailey (Stalybridge Old), whilst on percussion we welcome Fred Naftel, a professional percussionist and Music Teacher.

The band has been rehearsing hard for the last several weeks, preparing for the Preston Contest, and the regional qualifiers at Blackpool in March.

For more information, please visit
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
  2. critic

critic Member

delighted you are getting back on your feet best of luck
  3. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

It was a great day yesterday at Preston. The result was dissapointing, but the feeling of sitting on a contest stage, representing Besses at the start of a comeback to the very best, was very memorable.
    It was a first step, and I think that it was a brave step.
    Watch out for the charge!
  4. matty1986

matty1986 Member

I agree, it was very memorable, although not the champion band of old, the first contest I played with Besses is something that will be a fond memory for years to come i'm sure.

As for a charge, we'll see, i'll be content with regular bums on seats to start some real work on the ensemble!!
  5. debs66

debs66 Member

Really pleasing to see Besses back on the contest stage - well done to all!!!

Chris Banks - proud member of Besses O' Th' Barn Band 1990-92.
  6. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

Fair enough! Still a good day and an announcement that Besses are still around!
    Man United needed to drop a division to go back to basics and return to winning ways.
    Man City have dropped further and returned with the promise of possible victories greater than their previous history!
    Who knows?
  7. matty1986

matty1986 Member

Ai, but unlike Man City, we'll get players that are commited to the band and want to work hard. Not because we'll pay a fortune to bring them in :p

Sorry to any Man City fans out there,,i'm not a football fan to be honest!!
  8. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

What? I thought that we were all on a Basic £1k per week with a £500 per man/woman contest win bonus?
    Ah well, I will have to call Pepsi and tell them my booster drink sponsorship will have to be put on hold!
    I will do it for the love of it anyway!
  9. Jay

Jay Member

Shame about the result but I think the band played well. Areas to look forward to now :)
  10. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Good luck to Besses and hope for the best in the future.
  11. Frontman

Frontman Member

Best of luck to you all, hope it goes well. I will hopefully get in to listen.
  12. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Best of luck Besses. I always enjoyed listening to the band when they used to come down to the Cambridge Masters in the early days. Despite not being placed, Besses (under Sandy Balir) had the best bass section I ever heard. Shame about the bright blue blazers, though!

Hope you get back into the top flight soon.
  13. brassbandmaestro

Firther to my post, earlier. With the recent demise of some of the top bands, eg Pannine and Stocksbridge, I am heartened to see that a fabulous band like Besses have struggled to get b ack onto the contest stage and although not being placed, showing signs of recovery.
  14. MattB

MattB Member

It's been blinking hard work, but it does go to show if you believe in something enough and are prepared to do things the right way, it's worth it in the end. We can't wait for sunday, and look forward to seeing some of our old acquaintences there in the drinking area!

Thanks for all your messages of support, it means a lot, and is nice to see there are at least some people out there pleased to see us back!
  15. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

I completely agree with your sentiment about Besses (after all, they were the original star band! - as a kid I'll always remember my dad having their records).

But you have worried me that I'm living in a parallel universe... I probably better tell the rest of stocksbridge to stop rehearsing for the area next week as we don't exist anymore.... ;-)
  16. brassbandmaestro

Oops, sorry about that!, brassinthead. I read somewhere about that!! Glad they are all playing still!!
  17. horn1

horn1 Member

I think you mean stockport brass
  18. brassbandmaestro

Yes, Stockport. Thank you horn1
  19. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

phew, thanks for clearing that up, I was worried :)

But yes, you're right, there's too many bands dissapearing. Good to see Besses keeping the battle going.
  20. brassbandmaestro

Yes, I know the aforementioned bands have had their own reasons and they worked hard in trying to save their bands, but I still wonder wether there was any mi nutest posssibilty that those bands that did fold, if there was something that those members had misssed?