Besides Diana and I are there any other Ohioans out there?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DublinBass, May 4, 2005.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Sometimes I feel misundertsood hear in the UK, so here is an insight to my home state of Ohio

Jeff Foxworthy on Ohio

1) All I have to say is "Go Bucks!"

2) You might be from Ohio if you've heard it pronounced O-hi-uh

3) You think all Pro football teams are supposed to wear orange!

4) You know all the 4 seasons: winter, still winter, almost winter and construction.

5) You live less than 30 miles from some college or university.

6) You know what a buckeye really is, and have a recipe for candied ones.

7) "Toward the lake" means "north" and "toward the river" means "south."

8 ) You know if other Ohioans are from southern or northern Ohio as soon as they open their mouths.

9) You can spell words like Cuyahoga, Olentangy, Bellefontaine, Tuscarawas, Wapakoneta and you now which letter is doubled in Cincinnati.

10 )"Vacation" means spending a day at Cedar Point in the summer and deer hunting in the fall.

11) You measure distance in minutes.

12) Your school classes were canceled because of cold.

13) Your school classes were canceled because of heat.

14) You've had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.

15) You know what should be knee-high by the Fourth of July.

16) You end your sentences with an unnecessary preposition. For example: "Where's my coat at?"

17) You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.

18) You think of the major four food groups as corn, pork, beer, and Jell-O salad with marshmallows.

19) You carry jumper cables in your car.

20) You know what 'pop' is.

21) You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.

22) Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow. (Amen!)

23) You think sexy lingerie is tube socks and a flannel nightgown.

24) The local paper covers national and international headlines on one page but requires six pages for sports.

25) You know which leafs make good toilet paper .

If you score 23/25 pm me and I'll send you an "I am an honorary Ohioan certiificate"
  2. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Ah, my favourite comedian (I spend far too much time in the Carolinas!)- I have his redneck desk calendar and its spooky how many really do apply to me!
    Today's gem - if your trash can forms the centrepiece of your garden display, you might just be a redneck!

For the uninitiated, check this out:

As my dvd collection includes both Blue Collar movies, Both of Foxworthy's DVD's, plus Larry The Cable Guy "git-r-done" together with all the foxworthy CD's, I hereby claim my honorary Ohioan Certificate!
  3. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

As a native son of State College, Pennsylvania, I feel honor-bound to reply "WE ARE.....PENN STATE" :)

I'll see that and raise you Susquehanna, Monongahela, and Punxsutawney! And don't forget the "h" on the end of Pittsburgh. ;)

People here in Illinois frequently do the same with "with", only they drop the object. "I'm going to the store; do you want to come with?" Drives me up the wall...

The town where I grew up (see above) is actually on the fault line between people who say "soda" (easterners) and those who say "pop" (midwesterners). I knew I had finally become a midwesterner the day I said "pop" without reflexively twitching.

4. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Similar could be said of Manchester, but substitute cold/winter for rain!!!

And I know what pop is's that luminous coloured fizzy stuff yer mam gets from the Alpine man with 5p back on the empties.

Can I be an honorary Ohian if I've been to Ohio? Briefly in Sept 1987 - damn cold it was too! Didn't understand the car stickers on sale "Oh I Hate Ohio State". Thought that was a bit mean seeing as though it was a lovely place to be!
  5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

You were probably in North or Northwest Ohio then? It's not a reflection of the state. Ohio State (in Columbus - the centre of the State) is one of the major universities. So Michigan supporters say they hate Ohio State and those you support Ohio State say they hate Michigan (as in the uni).
  6. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

I'm reminded of an old joke I heard told by an Ohio State supporter:

Q "Why doesn't Ohio fall into the Ohio River??"

A "Because Michigan sucks!"

7. MartinT

MartinT Member

I know where BBC rehearse - how about that then?

Spent far too much time over the last few years in Dayton - attended one BBC rehearsal with Marty Jenkins (90 miles each way - wow!). It was great fun, but I couldn't get the hang of playing BBb off a bass clef part :rolleyes:

I also know why Miamisburg is in Ohio rather than Florida - does that count?

(Not sure I know why Miami is in Florida rather than Ohio, though :confused: )
  8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

How far through Ohio does a Brit have to go before being described as an Australian? :rolleyes:
  9. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Yup - we visited Michigan too which would explain the sticker. Really nice part of the world up there; Ann Arbor, Michigan uni, downtown Detroit......cor the memories!!!!
  10. HANNAH

HANNAH Member

jeff foxworthy rocks!!!!