Benvenuto Cellini

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ian perks, Mar 30, 2005.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

We now have 2 arrangements of Benvenuto Cellini,one by Frank Wright and a new Arrangement Christian Jenkins
    Question 1:Which one do you think is the best;
    FRANK WRIGHT
    CHRISTIAN JENKINS

Question 2 Which do you consider the best recording by a band

OLD ARRANGEMENT
    BLACK DYKE (G.BRAND)
    FAIREY (P.PARKES)

NEW ARRANGEMENT
    BUY AS YOU VIEW CORY(R.CHILDS)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Benvenuto Cellini
    Frank Wright
    Arrangement Christian JenkinsQuestion 1
    G.BRAND
    P.PARKES
  3. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

All are very good recordings indeed but if i had to choose i'd go for the Fairey's version. A great CD that

Ian

4. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

For me it has to be the old arrangement (although I have nothing against the new one) - a piece sadly underused by Brass Bands. As for the recording the Dyke one is the only one I have so it'll have to be that one!

5. andyp

andyp Active Member

The Fairey's one. One of my favourite band CD's, definitely one for the desert island, along with Grimethorpe's Wagner CD.

6. mp_TRMB

mp_TRMB Member

Faireys one.
    Haven't heard the new version yet though.

7. Highams

Highams Member

GUS Footwear also recorded on an LP with Stan Boddington, not quite up to the Dykre reading, but very good. The Dyke recording does come anywhere near the performance they gave on the day (except for some splits!)

CB

8. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

What a great Overture , Knowing Christian from his playing days with the National Youth Brass Band of Wales am sure the new arrangement will be very good ( I dont know if it will be published though ).
    Having played the original with an Orchestra , the Frank Wright overture is very good. I have only heard the Frank Wright arrangement live at the 1993 CISWO Mineworkers Championships in Blackpool , I think the reason it is underused ( Like Judges of the Secret Court ) is because it is a really tricky and a pig to play. I dont think you can beat a live performance something with studio recordings miss ( lack of atmosphere) IMHO.