Benvenuto Cellini for the Open?????

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Andy_Euph, May 24, 2004.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I was reading on 4barsrest rest that this is the piece being bandied about at the moment?????????

Never really heard this, whats it like, and if its picked is it worth going to listen to?

2. dyl

dyl Active Member

There does appear to be a bit of a delay re. any Open announcements this year. Going on last year, it seems we're about three weeks behind in getting a list of competitors/judges and test-piece information.

As for Benvenuto Cellini - sorry mate haven't listened much to it. I know there's a version of it on Cory's Brass Band Classics vol. 1 which I listened to a while ago - can't say it left a lasting impression on me!

3. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

It's very, very hard - arguably the hardest classical overture in banding repertoire. It'll be a great test of even the best bands and a good one for the audience too. Wouldn't want to be a sop player (again)!

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I find it hard to see that they'll pick another transcription this year.

5. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

It's actually on Volume 2 in a new arrangement by Christian Jenkins. It's timed at 10.10 on this recording so I doubt if it is long enough for an Open test piece.

6. dyl

dyl Active Member

Ah well - I was close! Like I said it didn;t make a lasting impression on me! ;)

I think the article on 4barsrest that mentioned this piece as a rumour (among others) mentioned a new transcription so it might be longer than the 10.10 you mention.

7. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

I have a recording of Brighouse playing it when the won the Nationals or Open with it in the 1970's. So the old arrangement has been used in the past. And I have to say, it's a bloody hard piece to play. Would certainly test the bands

8. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I remember hearing at the Albert Hall - still have the short score somewhere! A fine transcription from memory, sounded a good test.

9. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

It's a great Overture , Used at the 1993 Mineworkers Championchips ( I agree with Phil - Mad Sop part ) , brilliant piece of music ( a bit like Les Preludes ) and quite a test , I think the Frank Wright arrangement is class , dont know why a " new revision " of the score would help the players?( when I say help I mean the brass band world has a good enough version already , why go to the extra expence and time working on a different version , I have played the FW arrangement of B.C and I would not say it is easy by any strech of the imagination)
    why not use " Masters of Space and Time " - Bruce Broughton which was commissioned for the 2001 Open .
    all the FW Overture arrangments are fine concert music , why not test the players with some fine music we have ( Harmony Music etc. )
    Contest music has been used in 1988 for the Open and more recently pontins and the masters , dont know if it chosen again in the next few years. Of men and Mountains would be a great test for the Open..
    shame I wont be playing at the Open in September.

10. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I don't know anything about the mentioned piece, but just to pick up on what you said Nick: the new transcription was not done to 'help the players'. Bram Gay's trans. of Les Preludes was written to be a close to the original orchestral as possible and make it a real test for band. The Rimmer arrangement, although very good, was a shade of the original orchestral with alot of liberties taken to make it accessible to bands. Maybe this is the idea behind the new Jenkins arrangement mentioned.

As for the Open, these pieces have not been used for some time and would make great choices.....would like to think it will be one of them:

Devil and the Deep Blue Sea - (Bourgeous' music has had a reawakening with the YBS release last year and this was last used in 1993 at the Nationals)
    Harmony Music - (when was the last time Phillip Sparkes music was used at the Open, if ever?)

I would love to have a crack at Contest Music but that's probably wishful thinking as it's my favourite piece!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Open
    Benvenuto Cellini
    piece
    barsrest rest
    moment
  12. Giohorn

Giohorn New Member

What a piece!! I recorded it with Faireys under the Major, which was part of a classical series. the CD had all the "great" Berlioz overtures.

We had a mega band then, and that included a superb bass section, which i must say all bands will need to do this fine arrangement any justice.

If this is to be for the Open 2004 I am really sorry not to be competing, so all I can do is wish everybody all the best and get practicing!! :wink:

Solo Horn Ransomes

13. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Nick brings up a good point about 'Masters of Time and Space': this is a piece I would love to hear.

Maybe the contesting world has not heard all that much of Bruce Broughtons music but he is an amazing composer. He is/was(?) a Salvationist and composes music for Film and TV in the states (The cartoon 'Animaniacs' music is his work I think). He has written some shorter works that have been published by the SA, which are full of originality and it could be argued that they offer something completely different to anything in the repertoire. Andrew Justice recorded his trombone solo 'My Refuge' with the ISB within the last 2-3 years. This solo must have been way ahead of it's time when written, certainly in terms of SA writing. I have a feeling that Grimethorpe were recording his 'Covenant' for their new 'History' release with SA music on...can anyone confirm this?

Anyone else know his music? Maybe Carl, WOB or one of our TMP'ers from the states will confirm what he is doing at present. I think anything he would compose for the a contest lik ethe Open would certainly be different but a great test and inspire alot of the young, up-and-coming composers around.

14. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Anything else than another orchestral transcription please!

I have a score for 'Masters of Space and Time' and it looks great, though it may be considered too easy to really test the top bands at the Open since there are few tricky solo passages if my memory is accurate. It is certainly a piece that we ought to hear at one of the major contests.

FYI Bruce also composed the music for 'The Resuers Down Under', a fabulous John Williams parody - classic adventure film music.

D

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Amongst other Bruce Broughton pieces are the theme music from the western "Silverado" (which features John Cleese in the role of a sherriff :shock: ) and "Harlequin", which has been recorded by the Brass Band of Columbs as well as CWS Glasgow. Other SA works, in addition to the excellent "Covenant" already referred to, include a first class cornet duet "To set the people free" and the festival arrangement "The Good Old Way".

16. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Wasn't it done for Elgar Howarth's lectures at York University? (I might be way off here.)
    Either way, I think I heard it wasn't designed as a test piece, hence the difficulty (and mental sop part).

17. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

the 2000 version of Les Preludes was not designed as a test piece, I am sure it was to included on the Fodens cd "Rimmer" as the model used is the William Rimmer version , I think E.H. rejected it as it had been changed too much.

18. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

You are right, the first performance was at York Uni. There was an article in BBW by Bram Gay talking about it, sure it mentioned something about making the arrangement as close to the orchestral as possible with a view to making it challenging enough for possible use at a major contest. Sure the Grand Shield 2004 and Open 2001 bands will vouch for the fact it was certainly a challenge!

19. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Also by Bruce Broughton is California Legend which was recorded by Sun Life on their CD Le Roi d'Ys. It was, off the top of my head, the Test Piece in the (old) 2nd section for the 1986 (?) Areas. A great piece that, I think, is long overdue in having a revival!

20. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

Regarding the duration of the Wright arrangement of Benvenuto Cellini, I think a new arranger would have a job making it any longer as the original IS only 10 minutes long!

A great piece of music for sure, but I agree with everyone else who is dubious about another transcription being used for a major contest. We should be using our best original works for our big events, whether they are commissions or existing works.

21. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Well said. If we continue to use arrangements as the current trend has been, the movement (already considered by many, myself included, to be coming to a halt) will start to go backwards. Despite bad experiences with Prague and Maunsell Forts, it is very important that we continue to use original and new works. I'm all for composers of the likes of Bruce Broughton writing for contests. His music is lively, interesting, testing and enjoyable to listen to.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Open
    Benvenuto Cellini
    piece
    barsrest rest
    moment