Ben Thatcher's 'tackle' on Pedro Mendez

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by dyl, Aug 24, 2006.

1. dyl

dyl Active Member

Anyone see it on MOTD last night? Absolutely horrendous stuff. Looks like he's going to get away with further punishment too as the ref has already booked him.

Shocking.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Ben Thatcher
    Pedro Mendez
    MOTD
    ref
    tackle
  3. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I thought I'd switched over to NASN and was watching hockey instead.

4. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I know TALKSPORT presenters often sensationlise things to provoke calls into their station, but I turned them off this morning. Alan Brazil was suggesting nothing was wrong with the tackle and football has gone soft.

That sort of 'tackle' might have been common place in the 1970's but that does not make it acceptable at any time, any where. There was no footballing reason why Thatcher chose to make such an aggressive effort to 'win the ball' so far outside his own half like that. It will be a shame if Thatcher only receives sanctions for the booking he received.

It would be nice one of these days to see a manager drop a player for X amount of games, if he thinks his player was out of line. I know Stuart Pearce was a hard man but I don't think I ever saw him deliberately set out to hurt someone as Thatcher appeared to do last night.

Not good.

5. dyl

dyl Active Member

Does he know the full details of the incident then? I suspect not:

From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/5281686.stm

At least the FA are taking another look at the incident.

6. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Have just seen it on Sky Sports News - it was horrific.

They showed a clip of Thatcher doing a similar thing to a Sunderland player in the past too.

7. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Just heard that Greater Manchester Police are looking at the incident - he could well be charged with assault.

D

8. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I'd be interested to hear what the City contingent on here think?

9. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Big mistake to associate ManC with thought, Sam!

Looks as though the FA are also going to take further action. Is he Maggie's other son?

D

10. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

True

11. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Even one of his old Wimbledon team mates was saying that he has always had that side to his game, and that he should try and get rid of it.

I would have to rate Thatcher's 'tackle' as being on a par with Schmuacer's tackle in the 1982 world cup...for those here who are old enough to remember that one.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Ben Thatcher
    Pedro Mendez
    MOTD
    ref
    tackle
  13. The Judge

The Judge Member

Ben Thatcher rose to prominence playing for Millwall and has been of "dodgy temperament" at every club he's ever played for. He's typical of the sort of player who feels he has to be the hard man to make up for a lack of talent. Played with plenty of them over the years !!

Hope they throw the book at the idiot.

And yes I'm old enough to remember the Schumacher tackle in 1982. Equally horrific.

14. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I think he should be banned for the whole season and sent to a place to control that sort of behaviour on a football pitch.
    But saying that i can remember some of the tackles that a certain Mr Graham Souness used to do at Liverpool and i think also Bettiga of Italy in the 78 World Cup Finals, they were not pretty at all.