Belgium Grand Prix Result

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Sopman, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Sopman

Sopman Member

So, anybody out there agree with the FIA for over turning Hamilton's win yesterday?? I only saw the last few laps, but was very surprised to hear later in the evening that the FIA had decided he had got an unfair advantage over Raikkonen when he over-shot the "Bus Stop" chicane.... from the tv footage I saw, it looked like he dropped back, allowing the Ferrari to go past, then just out-drove Raikkonen.

what ever happened to racing??? Have probably opened a can of worms here, but hey, its lunchtime!!!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Result
    anybody
    Belgium Grand Prix
    win
    Hamilton
  3. Brassy Lady

Brassy Lady Member

Only just heard this - it is an outrage!! Hamilton deserved the win :mad:

4. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

I watched it and like you was very surprised to hear that Hamilton had been penalised for the overtaking incident. What is interesting is that a number of other drivers and experts all believe he had done what was required in letting Raikkonen retake the position even if it looked like he had the lead into the chicane and was forced off by Raikkonen. None of the Ferrari team complained about it after the race either, it was all down to the stewards.

On the BBC website there is some debate over the rule where, according to some, having allowed Raikkonen to retake the place he should have stayed behind him through the next corner. He didn't do that, hence the penalty however the rule apparently allows for either a 10 second penalty or 10 places so where they got the 25 seconds from is anyones guess.

Ironically, if he had gone over the grass at the chicane without picking up the place and had come in right behind Raikkonen there would have been no penalty.

Lets hope the appeal works or if it doesn't, just thrash them at Monza next week.

5. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I'll be surprised if the "stupid" ruling isn't rescinded at appeal. There seems to be widespread agreement from most quarters that it was totally unfounded. I thought it was brilliant driving in attrocious conditions and there doesn't seem to be many other drivers with that skill.

6. Sopman

Sopman Member

I read Nikki Lauders comments on ITV-F1 this afternoon, he's saying that the FIA need to change the way they use stewards as at the moment they are different for each race which seems a bit bonkers!! They should have experienced people who know how to spot racing when it happens..... He thinks this will damage F1 and put people off watching it, I reckon he has a point.

7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I won't.

Quite what McLaren have done to upset the FIA I'm not sure, but in recent seasons if there's a kicking to be delivered it appears to be McLaren that get it more often than not. Frankly there's a very unsavoury whiff about yesterday's shenanigans and it hasn't helped the sport's already shaky credibilty. I used to really enjoy F1 in the Senna/Prost/Mansell era, but these days I find it hard to drum up any enthusiasm for it at all. :mad:

8. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

I think it has to do with a) they aren't red and b) they haven't got Ferrari in their name. I wonder if they would have been so quick to apply a penalty had it been a Ferrari, in fact IIRC didn't Massa get away with a fine recently for an on-track infringment. This is why I don't bother going out of my way to watch F1 anymore. I did watch yesterday and for the first time in ages got all excited towards the end. They have ruined what was for me a fantastic race with off-track politics and a seemingly single-minded deisre to make Ferrari win at all costs.

9. hicks

hicks Member

A more controversial decision IMO was in the Japanese GP where Bourdais was penalised (and Massa gifted an extra point) for causing the spin on his exit from the pit lane. What was the guy supposed to do - stop and give way? I didn't notice any dashed white lines there ;)

Great drive from Hamilton in China though.

10. goldencornet

goldencornet New Member

I agree . I cant believe what happened. They should have given Hamilton the win :ranting2:

11. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

It happens in every motorsport. A certain manufacturer dictates terms to the governing body and covertly threatens to pull out if their demands are not acceded to. Ferrari are doing it again right now with Max Mosely's suggested third-party engine deal. Though in this instance I think Ferrari - and the other factories who are slowly coming out in support of them are right - it does show how one manufacturer can influence a championship very heavily. (And the FIA already let them off two or three blatant technical infringements for oversize barge boards etc without so much as a fine.)

Motorcycle racing fans have to put up with a two-pronged attack from Ducati and Honda.

Ducati whine that their bikes aren't fast enough in World Superbikes, and are then granted another 200CCs - just because they stubbornly refuse to build anything except V-twins. (All the other manufacturers use 1000cc inline 4 engines.) And then Troy Bayliss wins the title by a country mile because it's not a level playing field. The last time we got a proper, closely fought WSB season, EVERYONE was on 1000cc machines. Ducati also engineered the move to a one-tye-make formula - the supplier being Pirelli. (Their supplier of some 10 years now)

In MotoGP, Honda were instrumental in the unpopular move away from 500cc 2-strokes to 990cc four-strokes, because they don't like building 2-stroke engines (having previously tried and failed to win the title on a four-stroke with freddie spencer in the 1970s). Having lost their star rider Valentino Rossi to Yamaha, and then lost the title to him the same year - they were once again instrumental in persuading the authorities to cut the capacity of MotoGP bikes from 990ccs to 800ccs, which suits honda's favourite engine, the V4, very nicely indeed.

OK this has all, so far, spectacularly backfired and they've not won a title since Hayden, three years ago, but with MotoGP bikes still being immune from the all-up weight limit (125 and 250 entries are measured over the combined wight of bike and rider, motoGP entries over just the bike) the championship is being engineered by honda to suit their number 1 rider, Dani Pedrosa. They even stabbed michelin in the back (their supplier for 26 world titles) to give him some extra time on the bridgestones everyone will be on next year.

They've even managed to have the 250 formula (The best one to watch at the moment) dropped and replaced with 4-stroke 600cc bikes, which will once again, suit a V4.

Dirt track, the formula steve McQueen used to ride at weekends, is completely dominated by Harley Davidson - because the rules have been engineered to favour prehistoric large capacity air-cooled pushrod V-twins. Only Harley still build those.

Look at any racing formula, and, generally speaking, you'll see one manufacturer holds the majority of power and influence.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Result
    anybody
    Belgium Grand Prix
    win
    Hamilton
  13. steve butler

mmmmmmmmmmm very interesting Andy zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

14. Thirteen Ball

It's something of a wonder, Mr B, that without your devastating and insightful comment, any thread manages to survive. ;)

15. steve butler

Its just my low attention span Andy :)
    I see loads of wordy intellectual stuff and I just glaze over. As you have gleaned I am just a simple soul :biggrin:

PS, wanna buy a camper van? Its got bags of torquey type gubbins and wheels too ;)

16. Thirteen Ball

Too many wheels for me I'm afraid Mr B. More than 2 of them confuses me. :oops:

Plus I can't get used to something that doesn't lean over into corners, or wheelie when you cane it. :)